Stars above the crest.

Thai Tommy

Did rangers(IL) put those 5 shiny stars on their crest, before or after EUFA gave celtic their one and Aberdeen their two gold stars for the Euro cup and super cup wins.
Why did rangers (IL) never wear their gold star.

Did rangers(IL) put those 5 shiny stars on their crest, before or after EUFA gave celtic their one and Aberdeen their two gold stars for the Euro cup and super cup wins.
Aberdeen upped them with two cups as had Celtic with the biggie, so billy big baws made up the 50 crap as if it is a competition to see who wins the most titles. Its the ma da's bigger than your da mentatility, except their da keeps getting his baws toed.

Rangers never wore one for their 1972 ECWC, but neither did we until fairly recently for the Big Ears.

I don't recall UEFA "giving" us the star, was that the case? Certainly not all European Cup winners don it, a few notable examples being Real Madrid, Barcelona and Liverpool. I guess it ends up feeling too busy if you add too many. On the other side of the spectrum are Boca Juniors who wear 52 stars inside their crest, one for each league/cup/major continental trophy.

AC Milan wear one but it's because of their +10 leagues, when they win two more and get to 20 they're supposed to add another one. Juventus had them and scrapped them for now, when another teams get to 20 they're supposed to bring back their three stars (sore winners, that lot).

In some cases the star scheme is a decision from the football federation, however it's not the case with Scotland, that's why Sevco wear a star for every ten leagues the original club won, but we went for just one for our EC and Aberdeen went for two for their ECWC+Supercup. St. Mirren could decide to add ten stars to their crest if they wanted for all I know.

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think Rangers added their stars for the 2003-2004 season (so after winning their 50th) and we still didn't wear a star, then the next season we added ours. Aberdeen followed suit with theirs a year or two later, can't recall.

My understanding is you only can have a gold star on your strip if you've won big ears. Silver stars are for the other European Cups.

As for the Huns 5 stars they were apparently given permission by UEFA to wear a silver star on their strip for every Title they won honestly without any cheating being involved.

My understanding is you only can have a gold star on your strip if you've won big ears. Silver stars are for the other European Cups.

My understanding is there is no UEFA or FIFA regulation whatsoever on what colour or number of stars you can wear over your crest. For example Manchester City had three meaningless, purely decorative stars until very recently, and depending on the model (home, away, alternate, etc.) they have been of various colours and shades.

As for the Huns 5 stars they were apparently given permission by UEFA to wear a silver star on their strip for every Title they won honestly without any cheating being involved.

But aren't they wearing too many then?

"For example Manchester City had three meaningless, purely decorative stars until very recently, and depending on the model (home, away, alternate, etc.) they have been of various colours and shades."

The Man City one was for traditional and not as you suggest meaningless or to simply keep up with the joneses. Most stuff have reason behind it especially clubs who have history and tradition.
"
The current club crest was adopted in 1997, a result of the previous crest being ineligible for registration as a trademark. The badge is based on the Arms of the City of Manchester, and consists of a shield in front of a golden eagle. The shield features a ship on its upper half, representing the Manchester Ship Canal, and three diagonal stripes in the lower half. The bottom of the badge bears the Latin motto Superbia in Proelio, which translates as Pride in Battle. Above the eagle and shield are three stars."

"For example Manchester City had three meaningless, purely decorative stars until very recently, and depending on the model (home, away, alternate, etc.) they have been of various colours and shades."

The Man City one was for traditional and not as you suggest meaningless or to simply keep up with the joneses. Most stuff have reason behind it especially clubs who have history and tradition.
"
The current club crest was adopted in 1997, a result of the previous crest being ineligible for registration as a trademark. The badge is based on the Arms of the City of Manchester, and consists of a shield in front of a golden eagle. The shield features a ship on its upper half, representing the Manchester Ship Canal, and three diagonal stripes in the lower half. The bottom of the badge bears the Latin motto Superbia in Proelio, which translates as Pride in Battle. Above the eagle and shield are three stars."

What did the three stars mean?

Something to do with marine life who cares the thing was it was not for decoration purposes, the Man City fans know they have won feck all. But if i find and get the page up again i will get back to you on it.

he shield features a ship on its upper half representing the Manchester Ship Canal, and three diagonal stripes in the lower half symbolise the city's three rivers – the Irwell, the Irk and the Medlock. The bottom of the badge bears the motto "Superbia in Proelio", which translates as "Pride in Battle" in Latin.

And of course not forgetting other teams Sevco with their stars
CY0063.jpg

I was in a supermarket in Aberdeen a few years back and an elderly lady and gentleman asked if I could retrieve an item from a high shelf for them and I duly obliged

The gentleman was wearing a padded Aberdeen FC jacket sporting 2 stars

As a wind up I enquired why Aberdeen FC had 2 stars above their Club crest

The old fella proudly declared in broad Doric
' een for fan we won the Cup Winners Cup an' the ither for fan we won the Super Cuo'

With an air of total innocence I replied ' oh I understood it was because Aberdeen were always coming second'

I thought that the old boy was going to choke

HH ?

I was in a supermarket in Aberdeen a few years backk and an elderly lady and gentleman asked I could retrieve an item from a high shelf for them and I fully obliged

The gentleman was wearing a padded Aberdeen FC jacket sporting 2 stars

As a wind up I fully enquired why Aberdeen FC had 2 stars above their Club crest

The old fella proudly declared in broad Doric
' een for fan we won the Cup Winners Cup an' the other for fan we won the Super Cuo'

With an air of total innocence I replied ' oh I understood it was because Aberdeen were always coming second'

I thought that the old boy was going to choke

HH ?
Aberdeen v Livi tonight will see if i can get a wee red tv link , furry boots fae god knows.

he shield features a ship on its upper half representing the Manchester Ship Canal, and three diagonal stripes in the lower half symbolise the city's three rivers – the Irwell, the Irk and the Medlock. The bottom of the badge bears the motto "Superbia in Proelio", which translates as "Pride in Battle" in Latin.

Thank you for providing explanation for the three diagonal stripes.

What do the three stars mean?

If the three stars are traditional, why weren't they part of their imagery for the first 117 years? And why were they recently scrapped?

Manchester-City.png

Honest question. I found no evidence to assert those three stars had anything to do with any sporting achievements, Manchester symbols or Manchester history. Genuinely puzzled, so if you could clarify their meaning I'd appreciate it.

Edit: found this from the BBC back in 2015 when they changed (reverted, kinda) to the new crest.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/35175829

The new badge is more of a throwback to the club crest worn on shirts from 1972 to 1997, when the ship and red rose featured prominently in a circular design.

It was in 1997 that City's current crest was introduced, when the round shape was replaced with a shield, a golden eagle and three stars, which the club say was "purely for style".

Last edited:
The badge was created in 1997, BEFORE teams started using stars as a way of announcing acheivements such as League titles or European Cups won.

Our former Chairman, Peter Swales, in a bid to make money sold off the rights to the circular crest we used to have.

When Francis Lee took over the owner wanted a LUDICROUS amount of money to release the rights. So City designed a new badge with the eagle, the shield, "superbia in proelia" motto and of course, the three stars.

The stars are merely decorative. They hold no other meaning whatsoever. It was felt the badge would be given a European feel.

Most City fans disliked the badge when we first saw it and some still do to this day. However City are now in talks to buy back our original badge.

I hope this finally answers peoples questions.

That very much clarifies the issue, thanks. It was my understanding the stars were meaningless, but since I was being contradicted I wasn't sure.

I think the current badge is probably nicer, although I'd prefer a starker contrast between the diagonal lines, like in the original one.

Back