Start with a solid foundation.

Frank Owen

Well, it's the morning after and the pain is still as strong, the anger still clouding my judgement, and the bewilderment and hurt caused by our collapse no less severe. Above all though, is the realisation that it's done. We can't have any say in where the trophies end up this season. Difficult as it may be, we simply must look forward and try to build for next season. Only my opinion, but in terms of having a foundation to build on, any new manager has his work cut out.

For me, we start with the tried and trusted perceived wisdom that the spine of the team simply has to be solid. A goalkeeper, a centre back, and a striker. And that's just laying the foundations. As supporters we all have our opinions, and that's absolutely fine by me; but on top of the three positions mentioned, my opinion is we could add at least another four or five which have to be improved on.

I really could go on all day with this post. The improvement needed in every department of the club is quite frankly seismic. I'm sitting here asking myself if maybe I'm allowing the bitter disappointment of this season to cloud my judgement ? But I honestly don't believe I am. The job ahead IS massive. A complete restructuring of the club at every level is needed. Really is back to basics.

Last edited:
Yeah Frank the job at hand is massive. However there is some positives:

We have no debt and money in the bank. So the new manger should be backed.
We have a 60,000 seater stadium which is our own with no $ guarentees on it.
We have a new training facility.
We have some very good players that just need help with some good recruits.
We have us the fans.

Wingers we need wingers plural, as Frank says build the spine right through the middle, but a Celtic team without wingers isn't a Celtic team imho, in commentary yesterday it was said Eddie hadn't scored a goal with his head all season, I haven't checked it but nothing comes to mind so if true that is a sad testimony on our tactics, but with no wingers it aint that surprising, who was the last Celtic striker to go most of the season without scoring a header? we know he can head it.

Yeah Frank the job at hand is massive. However there is some positives:

We have no debt and money in the bank. So the new manger should be backed.
We have a 60,000 seater stadium which is our own with no $ guarentees on it.
We have a new training facility.
We have some very good players that just need help with some good recruits.
We have us the fans.
Totally agree CR, now we need to get the running of the other departments sorted.

Wingers we need wingers plural, as Frank says build the spine right through the middle, but a Celtic team without wingers isn't a Celtic team imho, in commentary yesterday it was said Eddie hadn't scored a goal with his head all season, I haven't checked it but nothing comes to mind so if true that is a sad testimony on our tactics, but with no wingers it aint that surprising, who was the last Celtic striker to go most of the season without scoring a header? we know he can head it.
No argument from me on that one 50. We've been abysmal from wide areas.

In the last four seasons Celtic have signed for the first team:
Ajeti
Barkas
Turnbull
Connell
Jullien
Klimala
Bolingoli
Soro
Elhamed
Frimpong
Taylor
Edouard
Bayo
Shved
Bain
Mulumbu
Morgan
Ntcham
Hendry
Hayes
Compper

In that same time we've had a stream of mostly non-entities come in on loan (some of whom at a lot of money):
Duffy
Laxalt
Kenny
Forster
Bauer
Elyounoussi
Arzani
Benkovic
Burke
Weah
Toljan
Roberts

Of the list of signings from the list above, there are 15 still under contract to the club. Of those 15 permanent signings, 2 started yesterday though one is long term injured and likely would have started. We have a hit rate of 3 in 15.

Agree with everything which has been said about our team,obviously we cant do anything without first having the new manager in place.
Maybe now Dom McKay is in place things will start to move,they cant get any slower that,s for sure.
Lets hope Dom is more a people person than the Ayatolla ever was,the last thing we Celtic supporters need is another Lawwell,communication with the fans from Dom McKay would be a great start,the announcement of a new manager would be the best start we could ask for..
As Frank said our priorities are Goalkeeper,centre-back and striker,but we all know that wont win us the league,we dont have a right back,we have a hit and miss left back,we dont have a defensive midfielder when Broony leaves,Soro IMO is not the answer,we have one winger who has been out for 90% of the season,we have a £5m striker who cant get a game and does,nt look like getting a game anytime soon..so the big question is will the board dig deep enough into the vault to supply our new manager with the funds desperately needed to rebuild a Celtic team worthy of the supporters.. only time will tell..

HH.

Ajeti
Barkas
Turnbull
Connell
Jullien
Klimala
Bolingoli
Soro
Elhamed
Frimpong
Taylor
Edouard
Bayo
Shved
Bain
Mulumbu
Morgan
Ntcham
Hendry
Hayes
Compper

In that same time we've had a stream of mostly non-entities come in on loan (some of whom at a lot of money):
Duffy
Laxalt
Kenny
Forster
Bauer
Elyounoussi
Arzani
Benkovic
Burke
Weah
Toljan
Roberts

Of the list of signings from the list above, there are 15 still under contract to the club. Of those 15 permanent signings, 2 started yesterday though one is long term injured and likely would have started. We have a hit rate of 3 in 15.
Probably M7 all signed by Lawwell,I remember when we signed shved Brendan Rodgers said,,why would we want a winger we have a hundred of them..Do you think maybe Lawwell had something to do with the signing..???.

HH.

Probably M7 all signed by Lawwell,I remember when we signed shved Brendan Rodgers said,,why would we want a winger we have a hundred of them..Do you think maybe Lawwell had something to do with the signing..???.

HH.
I don't think there is any doubt as he would rubber stamp all deals re the money involved but it shows our recruitment team definitely needs overhauled and I see that is underway Hammond is already gone and he will be joined by Penrice, first team scout Mick Doherty and John Murphy so a complete overhaul there but if course the key will be what decisions our new CEO plays in the early short term to put this right. ..my feeling is he will probably be taking advice on this, the question is who from as Lawell will still have a hand in it as he is still there ..it's a bit complicated to be honest and will be interesting to see how we manage what looks like quite a challenge for the boy to put it mildly.

No idea who this Dom Mckay is or how he works but i think people may be getting ahead of themselves if they think any part of the lawwell factor will change at the club , i feel he's been handpicked to carry on just the same sort of running as the last CEO time will tell but my guess is he will be Desmonds puppet and not much of anything will change

Well, it's the morning after and the pain is still as strong, the anger still clouding my judgement, and the bewilderment and hurt caused by our collapse no less severe. Above all though, is the realisation that it's done. We can't have any say in where the trophies end up this season. Difficult as it may be, we simply must look forward and try to build for next season. Only my opinion, but in terms of having a foundation to build on, any new manager has his work cut out.

For me, we start with the tried and trusted perceived wisdom that the spine of the team simply has to be solid. A goalkeeper, a centre back, and a striker. And that's just laying the foundations. As supporters we all have our opinions, and that's absolutely fine by me; but on top of the three positions mentioned, my opinion is we could add at least another four or five which have to be improved on.

I really could go on all day with this post. The improvement needed in every department of the club is quite frankly seismic. I'm sitting here asking myself if maybe I'm allowing the bitter disappointment of this season to cloud my judgement ? But I honestly don't believe I am. The job ahead IS massive. A complete restructuring of the club at every level is needed. Really is back to basics.
Aye its huge need a full defence basically then majority of a midfield then strikers its a shocking state to end up in after being so dominant the recruitment has been fuckin woeful it shudnae have been such a huge rebuild there still shud be a core there but its full a spineless bastards

Last edited:
The pain?Did somebody die??Naw that was the huns in 2012 .....Full re build needed..players who dont want to be here can fuck off ,the loan players can get tae....huge job for the next manager and hopefully he gets it right with signings ..

Ajeti
Barkas
Turnbull
Connell
Jullien
Klimala
Bolingoli
Soro
Elhamed
Frimpong
Taylor
Edouard
Bayo
Shved
Bain
Mulumbu
Morgan
Ntcham
Hendry
Hayes
Compper

Duffy
Laxalt
Kenny
Forster
Bauer
Elyounoussi
Arzani
Benkovic
Burke
Weah
Toljan
Roberts

Now that the season is over, don't count the 4 games left, what is important is that the players who won't be there next don't play again this season. I include broony in this, as there's going to be massive changes then we need to start now. I've not listed names, as I'm sure there will be a few names that'll surprise people. Their may even be a few that stay. If we don't get the proper process /structure in place, then we better get used to being 2nd place. I have said on previous posts that of the huns squad the only one I'm envious of is their goalkeeper. If we go back to last season one of the major benefits we had was Forster in goal with Gordon as back-up and Bain as no 3. So IMHO the place we need to start is the goalie, whether Barkas can be No1 we need to find out, if not then we must find a better keeper than Bain. HH.

Brilliant post frank , still hurting , but you are correct , root and branch clear out from top to bottom , new CEO , new manager , who I hope will be given, money and authority to buy his own choices , his own back room staff , sports science etc
The one constant at our club is the fans , who will be there passionate and loud , I don’t think we can underestimate the loss of the fans this season whereas some clubs IE , the tribute act have benefitted

we have made mistakes , we must learn from them , the team will be unrecognisable next year , we have given the huns the league this year , Lawell may have well presented it to slippy in the blue room , there huberous is flowing again , there superiority complex , there we are the people pish is everywhere

the club cannot allow this to happen next year , I don’t mind getting beat by the better team , but I will not accept gutless spineless performances like we have seen all year from both board and team

better things to come There has to be , out with the old , in with the new , we want our trophies back

fuck the huns
Hail hail

I still think Keane is the man for a quick turnaroond...with players he signs.....Then after a season...get a manager in that can build for the future......We can't mess aboot here....we can't let them get 2 in a row and the CL cash that comes with it.......Keane will know players that will play for him......no more of this petted lip pish.....they type get punted....and Keane brings in his players...we've been looking at players all season that we all know don't want to play for Celtic....Maybe an Eddie Howe type would talk nice to them, and try and make them play better.....but will they!!!!! I don't think so.....we need a quick turnround and nae hangers on.....From day one next season....we need to be ready to win our championship back.....and get back to beating them big style.....and with good attacking football....the Celtic way.....So...tak a punt on Keane...he's the best man for the situation we are in.....Rant over

Frank TBH we got knocked out the LC with Ross County so yesterday was not a shock, we never took any chances and got hit with two goals from shit all over the place pin pong defending, huns should never get near our box they are shite and we were shitier on the day.

For me, we start with the tried and trusted perceived wisdom that the spine of the team simply has to be solid. A goalkeeper, a centre back, and a striker. And that's just laying the foundations. As supporters we all have our opinions, and that's absolutely fine by me; but on top of the three positions mentioned, my opinion is we could add at least another four or five which

I still think Keane is the man for a quick turnaroond...with players he signs.....Then after a season...get a manager in that can build for the future......We can't mess aboot here....we can't let them get 2 in a row and the CL cash that comes with it.......Keane will know players that will play for him......no more of this petted lip pish.....they type get punted....and Keane brings in his players...we've been looking at players all season that we all know don't want to play for Celtic....Maybe an Eddie Howe type would talk nice to them, and try and make them play better.....but will they!!!!! I don't think so.....we need a quick turnround and nae hangers on.....From day one next season....we need to be ready to win our championship back.....and get back to beating them big style.....and with good attacking football....the Celtic way.....So...tak a punt on Keane...he's the best man for the situation we are in.....Rant over
Wid cost far too much dough pal keanes wages then players then Keanes pay off and money for new guy wid cost a fortune to do all that

Back