Swear Words

M

Maria

I have noticed Vigobhoy has requested all swear words be stopped by filter?

Now i do have a great vocabulary but sometimes a swear word just gets some things across better.

I thought the majority of users were over 18 however can accept that perhaps 15 year olds may sign up.

As a parent myself i would never allow my sons on a football forum younger than that.

You need a thick skin eh?

Most 15 year olds are well acquainted with swear words from their peers so unsure about the request as it stifles views - censorship.

So looking to get others views on this and happy to go with the majority.

It's censorship to filter swear words on a forum, surely?
I sometimes use the occasional expletive when angry or have strong feelings about the issues we're discussing but as you say it isn't a forum for very young people anyway and let's face it the youngsters probably know more sweary words than I do.
If folk find it unacceptable then maybe this isn't the forum for them. If they think what they see here is over the top then Heaven forfend they take a peek at the Celtic Blog and see what the huns and TGM are posting on there.

Now i do have a great vocabulary but sometimes a swear word just gets some things across better.

I thought the majority of users were over 18 however can accept that perhaps 15 year olds may sign up.

As a parent myself i would never allow my sons on a football forum younger than that.

Most 15 year olds are well acquainted with swear words from their peers so unsure about the request as it stifles views - censorship.

I think if the kids had their own blog and we dipped into it now and again then we would be learning a few new ones pal, im with you maria, if enough people want it then Im up for it, think it would be difficult to stop it altogether, especially days like yesterday, I think the kids would know what a masonic cnut is.

I think if the kids had their own blog and we dipped into it now and again then we would be learning a few new ones pal, im with you maria, if enough people want it then Im up for it, think it would be difficult to stop it altogether, especially days like yesterday, I think the kids would know what a masonic cnut is.

Never known of any child on a forum though. For me thats dubious parenting but i am happy to oblige with the majority pal.

Well Maria a fans forum is much like a packed pub on matchdays.Try censoring a packed pub where i was yesterday and you would be spitting your teeth out and launched out the nearest window.Dont agree with censorship especially as our country has already turned into a politically correct nanny state unless your a Roman Catholic who are stiil discriminated against.Every other religion and gender is protected.Depends also in the context of the language.If its verbal abuse aimed at some for no particular reason and becomes personal then possibly but not just in a fan rant.

I don't think kids 12 or under would be that interested in a fans forum anyway, apparently it's not cool to be into the same stuff as us adults, but teenagers with their own mobiles I shudder to think what they are logging onto, hear some horror stories from parents and believe me swearing is the least of their problems

No place for personal abuse or threats, otherwise, good to go. Expletives can used to emphasise a point. For example ... Calmac at left back??? What the duck was that all aboot????

If the swearing was being used in a derogatory manner directly against another member, then perhaps there is a case to be made, but otherwise....... Come on to fudge!

Industrial language is the reality of being a supporter. There's not a ground in the country where there isn't swearing. It's part of the fabric.

Sometimes we just need to let off steam, better on here than at work or in front of the family.

For censorship of expression then no but i could understand it for trying to keep things more civil and less like a shipyard, especially if there are children on here.

Other forums do have swear filters, as do some of the blogs. But if the only difference is having to type f*ck or fuk or whatever feckin way you can think of then it's basically pointless.

Some things i can think of that would work for everybody would be to have a way that the individual user could personally filter out words that they don't want to see. For example a box that you type the word in to and it blocks it or maybe a way to highlight the offending word and have the option "censor this word".

Alternatively you could have an option for a "Safe Version" of the forum that you could select and that version would filter out all words that the mods decide on. That way if swearing bothers you or not, you can choose whatever version of the forum you wish and still participate. :geek:

Food for thought and also this topic reminded me of this classic :LOL:

For censorship of expression then no but i could understand it for trying to keep things more civil and less like a shipyard, especially if there are children on here.

Other forums do have swear filters, as do some of the blogs. But if the only difference is having to type f*ck or fuk or whatever feckin way you can think of then it's basically pointless.

Some things i can think of that would work for everybody would be to have a way that the individual user could personally filter out words that they don't want to see. For example a box that you type the word in to and it blocks it or maybe a way to highlight the offending word and have the option "censor this word".

Alternatively you could have an option for a "Safe Version" of the forum that you could select and that version would filter out all words that the mods decide on. That way if swearing bothers you or not, you can choose whatever version of the forum you wish and still participate. :geek:

Food for thought and also this topic reminded me of this classic :LOL:

Funny video but we aren't here to pander to the wee snowflakes. If they're old enough to attend a match and read forums then they must accept what goes along with it. This isn't FIFA on a playstation after all.

As a 60 year old with what I'd consider to be an above average vocabulary I must admit that I don't have a particular problem with the use of expletives either used orally or in written form

Swearing Foul Language or Industrial Language as it is often referred to has become a lot more acceptable over the years certainly since my childhood back in the 1960s in the East end of Glasgow

Billy Connolly has made a fuckin' living out of it as have other comics who have jumped on the Big Yin's coat tails and no audience members appear to take offence

A strategically inserted expletive into a sentence for emphasis can certainly brighten up a story or a joke

Look at the television series 'Still Game' as an example of this I have yet to meet anyone who has said that they have been offended by the language in this programme Indeed I think that the cursing throughout the programme benefits the overall delivery

Where I do have a problem as others have said is when these words are used in personal attack on other posters and members of this site

In saying that I find any personal attack on posters and members of this site totally unacceptable whether Foul Language is used or not

So let's be grown up about it If people want to use swear words then let them If others prefer not to use profanities then that's fine too

At the end of the day let's just live and let fuckin' live

After watching that pile of shite yesterday I have more concerning me than a few sweary words on a football forum

HH?

Back