The Battle of Montevideo: Tommy Gemmell, 'A South American Liberty'

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
Tommy Gemmell was a good friend of mine. I published his third book, All the Best and he wanted to include a chapter from his first book which was published just after the European Cup Final win. The only problem was he didn't have this available electronically so it took me ages to type it out for him so it could be included in the book.

There a re probably one or two typos when you read this, that's down to me not Tommy!

He loved telling his Celtic stories. Hope you enjoy...

The Battle of Montevideo: Tommy Gemmell, 'A South American Liberty'...

GW1243H786.jpeg

Tommy Gemmell was a good friend of mine. I published his third book, All the Best and he wanted to include a chapter from his first book which was published just after the European Cup Final win. The only problem was he didn't have this available electronically so it took me ages to type it out for him so it could be included in the book.

There a re probably one or two typos when you read this, that's down to me not Tommy!

View attachment 4951
Remember watching this on a old black and white telly,battle it was all out war,the kicking and pushing jumping on top of Celtic players in full view of the Ref who was frightened to death,fists been thrown the lot,how the Celtic team managed to finish the game and get off the field is a wonder,the simple trouth of this game was that Celtic were to good for them so thier only way to stop them was to kick them off the park a game that will go down in infamy

View attachment 4951
Another brilliant article WC. I'm sure I won't be the only one that hears it being said in Tommy's voice as I read it. Keep sharing these fantastic articles about our glorious (and sometimes not so glorious!) history.

Members online

Latest posts

Back