The case for the defence.

TTQtKK⚠️

More interest in Stephen Welsh this week. I think he is out injured at the minute but seems to be a story in every transfer window. He's important for keeping us within the homegrown player rule for UEFA competitions but generally I think many of us would see him as down the pecking order.

Thinking of next season, if we sold him, we would be left with.

RCB: CCV / Starfelt
LCB: Yuki / Jenz / Lawal

That's if we retain Jenz. Either way do we think that's enough cover? Would be a decent Centre Back squad to my mind.

More interest in Stephen Welsh this week. I think he is out injured at the minute but seems to be a story in every transfer window. He's important for keeping us within the homegrown player rule for UEFA competitions but generally I think many of us would see him as down the pecking order.

Thinking of next season, if we sold him, we would be left with.

RCB: CCV / Starfelt
LCB: Yuki / Jenz / Lawal

That's if we retain Jenz. Either way do we think that's enough cover? Would be a decent Centre Back squad to my mind.
I think if Welsh wants game time he is gonna have to leave. This will also free up a wage. I also think what we have left is good cover.

I think if Welsh wants game time he is gonna have to leave. This will also free up a wage. I also think what we have left is good cover.
I would like to see Welsh make the grade at Celtic. Always want our academy players to come through. That said, if there’s a decent fee, he’s on a few years contract I think, and as you say it free’s up a wage, it’s hard to justify keeping him. I’m sure when fit he wants to play more than seems likely atm.

Always feel a touch sad when one of our academy kids moves on. Like, I think, most of us, I'm pretty much delighted with the change in our recruitment strategy; I'd just love to see us produce a couple of home grown first team players though.
As we know, it's even more difficult now than ever it was.

I would like to see Welsh make the grade at Celtic. Always want our academy players to come through. That said, if there’s a decent fee, he’s on a few years contract I think, and as you say it free’s up a wage, it’s hard to justify keeping him. I’m sure when fit he wants to play more than seems likely atm.
If Welsh doesn't leave he would benefit from a loan, maybe even to an English Team. Maybe Broonies Fleetwood.

Always feel a touch sad when one of our academy kids moves on. Like, I think, most of us, I'm pretty much delighted with the change in our recruitment strategy; I'd just love to see us produce a couple of home grown first team players though.
As we know, it's even more difficult now than ever it was.
Me too Frank. Why is it so difficult for us to get a player or two through every couple of years. I think KT is the most notable recently and that's been a few years now!

From a Celtic point of view, keeping Welsh is good. Reliable player but with what we tend to sign/current squad he is not going to get a sustainable run.

For Welsh it would make sense to move - he is 22 now and has to really start knocking on the door of someone’s first team - he certainly has the talent to (even if not for us every week).

Definitely getting close to that point for him. Ralston bucked the trend but it’s not easy to do once they get to a certain stage.
The English Championship would be good for him I think
Regular game minutes, and a decent calibre of football
A loan spell at an SPFL club, might be another option which benefits both Stephen and the loan club, as well as Celtic
Wherever he goes, he will go with our good wishes for the future, if that future's at Celtic Park, well, good enough
HH

Members online

No members online now.

Back