the difference between being a fan and a "player"

michael duffy

Seen them come and go,my first disappointment was Paddy Crerand leaving, players come, players go,but the club, the team, the support goes on,

some players have the ethos of the club in their dna,Tommy Burns,Paul McStay, for example,for me Bertie Auld!,
however,these days with the obscene amount of money swishing around,it's no longer the "peoples" game,players are like, huge media celebrities,with great followings on social media, achieving a cult status, on a par with,superman ,batman and spiderman,

there is very little connection between fan's and players,Neymar, Pogba,etc. us ordinary mortals,are "blessed" that some players,feel fan's are privileged to watch them, turning out in our colours,
last week was sad and very divisive amongst us,from now on,the 11 players who run onto the park get my backing 100%,what they say,what they do,where they go is now immaterial to me,it's sad for me realising that the club/team. i support,fought,bled, did the odd court appearance for,now treats us as customers,and it's all about account's balance sheets and profit,anyway, rant over,gonnae somebody cheer me up! COYBIG!

Seen them come and go,my first disappointment was Paddy Crerand leaving, players come, players go,but the club, the team, the support goes on,

some players have the ethos of the club in their dna,Tommy Burns,Paul McStay, for example,for me Bertie Auld!,
however,these days with the obscene amount of money swishing around,it's no longer the "peoples" game,players are like, huge media celebrities,with great followings on social media, achieving a cult status, on a par with,superman ,batman and spiderman,

there is very little connection between fan's and players,Neymar, Pogba,etc. us ordinary mortals,are "blessed" that some players,feel fan's are privileged to watch them, turning out in our colours,
last week was sad and very divisive amongst us,from now on,the 11 players who run onto the park get my backing 100%,what they say,what they do,where they go is now immaterial to me,it's sad for me realising that the club/team. i support,fought,bled, did the odd court appearance for,now treats us as customers,and it's all about account's balance sheets and profit,anyway, rant over,gonnae somebody cheer me up! COYBIG!
Aye the *Rankers* died ...along with the 'company' witch was the business of the Club incorporated..deary me what can't they get....???

Football is nothing without the fans, but the truth is, that the vast majority of fans are mainly made up of frustrated players.

Watching football is, for most of us, a poor substitute for playing the game and if we were being honest, we'd take our chances at any senior club who showed an interest (with one, or two obvious exceptions).

If that were the case, then our loyalty as Celtic fans would not be in question, but our personal pride would still require us to play for the club we represented to the best of our ability.

Many of the Celtic players who have represented us over the years got the chance (as fans of the club) to live the dream. In order to reach that level, they had to show a single-mindedness, determination and no little selfishness in order to match that ambition.

I don't think these traits ever leave a player and everything becomes about finding a new challenge to match greater ambitions. There's no doubt that money plays a huge part in the decision making process, but in quite a few cases - it is the claustrophobic, repetitive and toxic nature of Scottish football that may force a player's hand.

Michael's right though, the social gap between players and fans is now a chasm and it's a million miles away from the days when you can share a pint in the local with first-team footballers who had just finished training. Jesus........you don't even see them in the bookies anymore - they do their punting online now!!!

:) Many a set too back in the day Michael. I remember a right few times when they had over 20,000 and we would converge back at the cross and the road where Goldbergs used to be was a flash point.

I mind one time they charged up it at us and there was an older guy, maybe you :) who marshalled us . I can still hear him.

Stand your fucking ground, when they get over halfway we charge.

As the cunts got nearer they began to slow down as they saw us stand our ground.

This guy then gave out a yell and we charged the bastards. Fucking smashed right into them and they scattered with a right few of them battered to fuck.

What a day. :)

:) Many a set too back in the day Michael. I remember a right few times when they had over 20,000 and we would converge back at the cross and the road where Goldbergs used to be was a flash point.

I mind one time they charged up it at us and there was an older guy, maybe you :) who marshalled us . I can still hear him.

As the cunts got nearer they began to slow down as they saw us stand our ground.

This guy then gave out a yell and we charged the bastards. Fucking smashed right into them and they scattered with a right few of them battered to fuck.

Sounds like a scene out Braveheart ?

Stellas half price and buy one get one free

:LOL:

In Paris Psg game in the 90s guy who met up wi our group tellin us Chelski headhunters going round the bars ,,,

stand yer ground ,,,,,,he fkn ran at first sight

Back