The near future.

26+6=1

As far as I'm concerned this was a dive season, compromised from within to offer life support to a floundering Sevco and preserve the business model. However, the levels of debt they continue to operate with suggest they will not survive without CL money in the very near future so if they don't qualify for the group stages this season will we be subjected to another dive season to allow them automatic access to the CL lifeline?
I'm naturally cynical so I have been predicting such a dive scenario since I came onto the forum and unfortunately the board and obviously Desmond have proven way more cynical than me. And I must confess to a personal act of cynicism. Last year I paid me tenner for the ST waiting list but was only offered a book without any derby tickets. I paid the tenner again this year as it might be the only chance I will get to buy a season ticket.
As much as I despise those who connived in this season's debacle I won't abandon the team even though we, the fans, are considered to be nothing more than a commodity and a revenue stream to be exploited to the full. Viewed through the Realpolitik of corporate finance this is SOP and it's mild compared to how some EPL and American sports franchises treat their fans by fuelling the optimism which turns on the money taps but really only investing in a 'competitive team' which will inspire some hope but is built to achieve nothing.
Is it socially and economically immature to believe that we were founded according to a different set of principles to most sports franchises and as a fanbase have largely adhered to that culture and ethos and as such an expectation that our club would be run in a principled manner reflective of the club's traditional values?
Exploitation and disdain of the fans for profiteering purposes is nothing new as anyone old enough to remember the 90s knows only too painfully well. Fergus ushered in a new era of fiscal responsibility in synch with the traditional values. He took a fair compensation for his efforts and left as a Legendary Celt to whom we owe an infinite debt of gratitude.
Unfortunately those who filled the void he left were not such principled individuals. Dermot Desmond earned his fortune in the murky world of international finance at a time when corruption and cronyism was endemic around the world and particularly in Ireland. He worked with Charles Haughey who was one of the most corrupt, criminal leaders in modern Europe. I'm not saying Dermot Desmond is a crook but he has certainly had business dealings with some unsavoury individuals and it would be difficult to imagine anyone amassing such a personal fortune in Ireland in that era with a clean conscience. It was on Desmond's watch that John Read and the Tories were appointed to the board. It is no accident that the original meaning of Tories is thieves and highway robbers.
At the end of the day if we want to continue to support the club we have to look at this as something beyond our control and which there's no point wasting emotion and energy on or it's a fight worth the time and effort. The time could come soon where I'm offered a season book for a decent seat only because a fellow Celt has lost interest or has given up the book in protest. By taking that, perhaps, once in a lifetime opportunity I'd be sabotaging the efforts of those attempting to force change but I think such efforts might prove futile this season as there are still so many people like me who would jump at the chance of a season ticket and it would take a general sickening of the support base to create the necessary momentum.
I do think a significant section of the support has learned a lot from the past season and will approach this next one with a more discerning cynicism and much less bullshit tolerance. Our dear departed comrade Michael Duffy would have appreciate Won't Get Fooled Again. Let's hope that becomes a reality not an aspiration.

As far as I'm concerned this was a dive season, compromised from within to offer life support to a floundering Sevco and preserve the business model. However, the levels of debt they continue to operate with suggest they will not survive without CL money in the very near future so if they don't qualify for the group stages this season will we be subjected to another dive season to allow them automatic access to the CL lifeline?
I'm naturally cynical so I have been predicting such a dive scenario since I came onto the forum and unfortunately the board and obviously Desmond have proven way more cynical than me. And I must confess to a personal act of cynicism. Last year I paid me tenner for the ST waiting list but was only offered a book without any derby tickets. I paid the tenner again this year as it might be the only chance I will get to buy a season ticket.
As much as I despise those who connived in this season's debacle I won't abandon the team even though we, the fans, are considered to be nothing more than a commodity and a revenue stream to be exploited to the full. Viewed through the Realpolitik of corporate finance this is SOP and it's mild compared to how some EPL and American sports franchises treat their fans by fuelling the optimism which turns on the money taps but really only investing in a 'competitive team' which will inspire some hope but is built to achieve nothing.
Is it socially and economically immature to believe that we were founded according to a different set of principles to most sports franchises and as a fanbase have largely adhered to that culture and ethos and as such an expectation that our club would be run in a principled manner reflective of the club's traditional values?
Exploitation and disdain of the fans for profiteering purposes is nothing new as anyone old enough to remember the 90s knows only too painfully well. Fergus ushered in a new era of fiscal responsibility in synch with the traditional values. He took a fair compensation for his efforts and left as a Legendary Celt to whom we owe an infinite debt of gratitude.
Unfortunately those who filled the void he left were not such principled individuals. Dermot Desmond earned his fortune in the murky world of international finance at a time when corruption and cronyism was endemic around the world and particularly in Ireland. He worked with Charles Haughey who was one of the most corrupt, criminal leaders in modern Europe. I'm not saying Dermot Desmond is a crook but he has certainly had business dealings with some unsavoury individuals and it would be difficult to imagine anyone amassing such a personal fortune in Ireland in that era with a clean conscience. It was on Desmond's watch that John Read and the Tories were appointed to the board. It is no accident that the original meaning of Tories is thieves and highway robbers.
At the end of the day if we want to continue to support the club we have to look at this as something beyond our control and which there's no point wasting emotion and energy on or it's a fight worth the time and effort. The time could come soon where I'm offered a season book for a decent seat only because a fellow Celt has lost interest or has given up the book in protest. By taking that, perhaps, once in a lifetime opportunity I'd be sabotaging the efforts of those attempting to force change but I think such efforts might prove futile this season as there are still so many people like me who would jump at the chance of a season ticket and it would take a general sickening of the support base to create the necessary momentum.
I do think a significant section of the support has learned a lot from the past season and will approach this next one with a more discerning cynicism and much less bullshit tolerance. Our dear departed comrade Michael Duffy would have appreciate Won't Get Fooled Again. Let's hope that becomes a reality not an aspiration.
In general 26, I think many of our supporters have become very cynical over the past year about the goings on within the club and with good reasons also.
However, we must realise our own position as supporters also.
Within Celtic Park, everyone there has to remain focused on supporting Celtic, and not letting there grievances get in the way of doing so.
For example, I'm very disappointed at what we paid out on Barkas and Ajeti for what we have got in return so far. Would I boo them or abuse them within Celtic Park? No I wouldn't and would be very disappointed to hear anyone else do so either.
There are plenty of other ways to express your grivencies these days, without using Celtic Park to air them.
The board may be walking a tightrope currently, but still deserve the chance to put right the wrongs of last season still imo.
As for the finances within a multi billion pound product called football, no doubt that under hand corruption goes on, and we take more notice than most due to the actions of Sevco scum (SS) and a SFA that still allows such practices to go unchallenged, and all the while our club still do nothing.
Regardless of everything that goes on surrounding our club, we still have to know our place and that is to support the club, win, lose or draw no matter what, and in the manner we have always done, and that can never change
HH

In general 26, I think many of our supporters have become very cynical over the past year about the goings on within the club and with good reasons also.
However, we must realise our own position as supporters also.
Within Celtic Park, everyone there has to remain focused on supporting Celtic, and not letting there grievances get in the way of doing so.
For example, I'm very disappointed at what we paid out on Barkas and Ajeti for what we have got in return so far. Would I boo them or abuse them within Celtic Park? No I wouldn't and would be very disappointed to hear anyone else do so either.
There are plenty of other ways to express your grivencies these days, without using Celtic Park to air them.
The board may be walking a tightrope currently, but still deserve the chance to put right the wrongs of last season still imo.
As for the finances within a multi billion pound product called football, no doubt that under hand corruption goes on, and we take more notice than most due to the actions of Sevco scum (SS) and a SFA that still allows such practices to go unchallenged, and all the while our club still do nothing.
Regardless of everything that goes on surrounding our club, we still have to know our place and that is to support the club, win, lose or draw no matter what, and in the manner we have always done, and that can never change
HH
John, I agree with the sentiment of your post, and yes we should continue to support the team, I do though think that the club has a responsibility to ensure that we challenge the corruption that is endemic in the sfa and the continued inaction of the footballing authorities when it comes to the, in my opinion fraudulent behaviour of the club playing at Ibrokes. I believe that our failure to do so is an example of a lack of moral leadership that fails both Scottish football and society. I understand that the money men don't want to rock the financial boat or to do anything that threatens the sky money, but by not having the balls to challenge the status quo we are complicit in the corruption. HH

Whilst I believe in much of the 'dive' theory, the thing that makes me less of a proponent of said theory is, is that it was not so much a dive last season, as it was a dying swan being taken out by a blind sniper with chronic arthritis and a kep gun.

There was no doubt an element of the fix being in, but I think that deal was exclusively between the institution, the association and the establishment. I think Celtic's own contribution was restricted to gross negligence, mismanagement and a huge sticky dollop of hubris.

The problem for a club like Celtic is at least two-fold if they endure many more seasons like the last one:

1. The value of their assets drops dramatically if they are not seen to be reaching a set standard

2. Those floating supporters from provincial towns and cities are less likely to attach themselves to a club that are seen to be failing to reach the acceptable standard of glory.

The 'glory hunters' matter not a jot to a partisan Celtic supporter, in fact - they are a massive fucking inconvenience when it comes to acquiring certain materials required by the heritage fans to support the club; however the board absofuckinlutely love these 'new' supporters as they apparently come without the 'baggage' and they buy every single piece of tat that the retail department overprice and sell as authentic goods.

If revenue streams are seen as the capillaries to carry the lifeblood of the club, then they risk losing thousands of these donors every year that they don't reach the necessary success levels to satisfy the glory hunters.

Back