The one that got away?

Bridie Bhoy

A wee thread seeing as there is no fitba on just now. Which is the player that you feel we missed out on?

It could be a player that we very nearly signed, such as Rivaldo (refused to take part in a trial match for us), Ivan Toney (we chose Ajeti instead - Dafabet missed out on a big customer there), Nacho Novo (just kidding), etc.

It could be a youth that we let go far too early, such as Shay Given, Andy Robertson, etc.

Or it could be a player that just left us before they had peaked, such as Charlie Nicholas, Par Crerand, etc.

For me it was David Ginola. Tommy Burns brought him over showed him around and it was verbally agreed that he'd get paid £15K/week. Instead of flying home he went to Newcastle, told them the deal and they offered £16K/week. Although he was a mercenary his style of football was so exciting and he was the quintessential flamboyant Celtic winger. An intelligent, fast, skillful attacker who entertained and many scored wonderous goals.

Which player do you think was the one that got away?

Nicholas. He wanted to stay but the Kelly’s refused to increase his £90 a week wage 😡
I don't know if you've been watching the excellent Icons of Football series on BBC Scotland? Charlie was on the first one and his shear love for Celtic really shone through. That's why his constant negativity to us these days is so baffling.

He really was a stunning player and I wish we could have enjoyed another 2-3 years before he inevitably went south for the big payday. He should have joined Liverpool and become a superstar rather than the far-too-defensive Gunners. But he wanted the bling and razzmatazz of being a celebrity rather than a brilliant sportsman.

I don't know if you've been watching the excellent Icons of Football series on BBC Scotland? Charlie was on the first one and his shear love for Celtic really shone through. That's why his constant negativity to us these days is so baffling.

He really was a stunning player and I wish we could have enjoyed another 2-3 years before he inevitably went south for the big payday. He should have joined Liverpool and become a superstar rather than the far-too-defensive Gunners. But he wanted the bling and razzmatazz of being a celebrity rather than a brilliant sportsman.
He used to come on out supporters bus when the youth teams didn’t coincide with the first team. He had so many badges on his scarf I don’t know how it didn’t break his neck. He was gutted the Kelly’s treated him so badly as they were desperate for the transfer money 😡

Watched it a few weeks ago. And I must say it shone a different light on why Charlie puts us down sometimes. I really enjoyed it, and coming from the childhood he had, I can see why he went for the big money.

In the 80s/90s we always seemed to be signing someone and it never seemed to materialise. I seem to remember we were going to sign Pat Nevin and for a while it seemed to be Steve Clarke, but the board didn't do it. I think Tommy Burns wanted to sign Neil McCann but the board wouldn't give him the money!

Funny days!!

Watched it a few weeks ago. And I must say it shone a different light on why Charlie puts us down sometimes. I really enjoyed it, and coming from the childhood he had, I can see why he went for the big money.
The Paul Sturrock one was brilliant too. My cousin's husband played with him and Ray Stewart at Bankfoot FC before they became famous and he is a good guy. It was hard to watch him as the Parkinsons disease gets worse.

The one on Rose Reilly was excellent too. I'd never heard of her before!

Here's a laff fur ye....Mind o this :ROFLMAO:

Brazil legend Ronaldo was so close to signing for Rangers and would only have played in Champions League says agent​

THE then-Barcelona striker almost moved to Ibrox in 1997 in a £20million deal but the hotshot instead chose to join Inter Milan despite the tempting offer.

Brazil legend Ronaldo was so close to signing for Rangers and would only have played in Champions League says agent​

THE then-Barcelona striker almost moved to Ibrox in 1997 in a £20million deal but the hotshot instead chose to join Inter Milan despite the tempting offer.
Talking of lafs... Mind Neil Lennon tried to sign his fellow countryman Kyle Lafferty.... 😱 😱 😱

Maybe should be in the glad they got away thread right enough 😂 😂

Haaland. Heard a story that Ronny wanted to bring him to Celtic...he would have only been a teenager but was already making waves...Lawwell said no. I'll try to find where I read story. Mad if true though 🤣🤣
I know Ronnie wanted Martin Odegaured when he was a boy but for some strange reason he chose Real Madrid instead... Must have been the Scottish weather I think 🤔 😂😂😂

Sir Minty Moonbeams actually offered Ronaldo £130K/week (back when £130K was a big weekly wage!!!) To only play European games. He didn't need to play in any domestic matches. The Brazilian superstar turned him down!

20210801_235107.jpg

A 18 year old odegaard playing just behind a 15 year old Haaland!!! That would have been a devasting combo in the SPFL!!!! Damn you Lawwell!!!!
Yip. Odegaard was very strongly linked with us and probably would have been wiser to have joined us. His development stalled for too long in Madrid but he is obviously a very gifted player.

That boy Haaland is OK, I suppose. But I'm glad we spent the money on Nadir Cifti instead!!! 😭

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back