The one that got away?

Sir Minty Moonbeams actually offered Ronaldo £130K/week (back when £130K was a big weekly wage!!!) To only play European games. He didn't need to play in any domestic matches. The Brazilian superstar turned him down!

View attachment 23162
I know because 130k a week now is only fag money. Wouldn't get outta the pit in the morning for that shite

Bring him Home...

The favourite player of a barman in Guimarães. He's convinced Mickey J loves the Portuguese club and is going to sign on permanently.
It appears Celtic fans aren't the only ones who give their hearts to players who will only break them 😪😪

A wee thread seeing as there is no fitba on just now. Which is the player that you feel we missed out on?

It could be a player that we very nearly signed, such as Rivaldo (refused to take part in a trial match for us), Ivan Toney (we chose Ajeti instead - Dafabet missed out on a big customer there), Nacho Novo (just kidding), etc.

It could be a youth that we let go far too early, such as Shay Given, Andy Robertson, etc.

Or it could be a player that just left us before they had peaked, such as Charlie Nicholas, Par Crerand, etc.

For me it was David Ginola. Tommy Burns brought him over showed him around and it was verbally agreed that he'd get paid £15K/week. Instead of flying home he went to Newcastle, told them the deal and they offered £16K/week. Although he was a mercenary his style of football was so exciting and he was the quintessential flamboyant Celtic winger. An intelligent, fast, skillful attacker who entertained and many scored wonderous goals.

Which player do you think was the one that got away?
Dave Narey and Paul Hegarty.

The difference at the time was in a few thousand (not tens or hundreds of) and at a time when we were potent going forward, but fairly leaky at the back, then I'm pretty sure we would have secured at least one treble through the 80's and left a bigger footprint on the European scene too.

Can't really disagree too much with Ginola though....there was a player built specifically to play in Hoops. Think with hindsight, that he might feel the same way too. He'd have some silver trinkets to go go with the silver hair.

Dave Narey and Paul Hegarty.

The difference at the time was in a few thousand (not tens or hundreds of) and at a time when we were potent going forward, but fairly leaky at the back, then I'm pretty sure we would have secured at least one treble through the 80's and left a bigger footprint on the European scene too.

Can't really disagree too much with Ginola though....there was a player built specifically to play in Hoops. Think with hindsight, that he might feel the same way too. He'd have some silver trinkets to go go with the silver hair.
Narey and Hegarty were amazing defenders. It is amazing to think we had Scottish CBs like them, Miller & McLeish, Hanson, etc.

I know you said Dave was a massive Tim - was Heggy? Hegarty was a complete arsehole when he was manager at Forfar and they took years to recover (he also forced Craig Bewster to leave, which we only got a pittance for).

I wonder if we even tried to buy these guys? Knowing our board probably not, and Jim McLean wouldn't have wanted a stronger Celtic either! Even just Natey would have given us more trophies.

Barbatov was recommended by Petrov but ended up going to Germany the other story was Drogba asking Momo Sylla if he could get a move to Celtic for Sylls to tell him with Larsson ,Sutton and Hartson here you wouldn't get a game
I forgot about Drogba! France's leading international goalscorer, Olivier Giroud, almost joined us too.

Narey and Hegarty were amazing defenders. It is amazing to think we had Scottish CBs like them, Miller & McLeish, Hanson, etc.

I know you said Dave was a massive Tim - was Heggy? Hegarty was a complete arsehole when he was manager at Forfar and they took years to recover (he also forced Craig Bewster to leave, which we only got a pittance for).

I wonder if we even tried to buy these guys? Knowing our board probably not, and Jim McLean wouldn't have wanted a stronger Celtic either! Even just Natey would have given us more trophies.
Word on the street was that Celtic bid 300k for Narey back when 300k was a decent chunk of change.

Wee Jum wasn't having it though and big Davie was left in tears. He would have lost dough too....United's basic wage was garbage, but it trebled with the win bonus (and they won plenty more than they lost).

You know what, BB........Heggie is actually as nice a fella as you would ever likely meet. I think he just took the course in the 'glum jum' school of management and it just didn't fit with his persona (and even though he likely wouldn't admit it, he was/is a Tim.....often think that's why he didn't get as much international recognition as he should have)

Members online

Back