the south stand

seven past niven

the board have decided that the redevelopment of the south stand at a cost of 100 million is not feasible at present. I would be interested to know if they have explored the possibility of sponsorship with regard to help finance this project as we have several japanese players in our team surely that could be a possible route to explore i know over at the other side of the city they would probably jump at any chance of investment from wherever, but i feel we appear to be over cautious at the other extreme with regards to this and are too insular, and at times not forward thinking enough

They need to spend something on the South Stand, its at best tired, but more of a shithole if we are being honest.
Can't see the screens if you sit in the rear of the stand, and with VAR now part of our game that means a section of the crowd don't know what's happening (small TV screens are inadequate on the rare occasions they work). Catering is awful, little choice compared to the rest of the stadium. Toilet facilities basic but too small for the number of people trying to use them (especially ladies toilets).
Sell the naming rights to the stadium for a 10 year deal, use the money to rebuild the South Stand and upgrade the rest of the stadium and Barrowfield. Include more corporate facilities in the 'new' stand and include conferencing areas that can be used when games are not on.

Sell the naming rights to the stadium for a 10 year deal, use the money to rebuild the South Stand and upgrade the rest of the stadium and Barrowfield. Include more corporate facilities in the 'new' stand and include conferencing areas that can be used when games are not on.
I'm generally against selling naming rights, but -- it's a big "but," and I cannot lie -- under the right circumstances it could work. It's just that most of the time, they get it wrong, and it's something that should be explored.

I'm generally against selling naming rights, but -- it's a big "but," and I cannot lie -- under the right circumstances it could work. It's just that most of the time, they get it wrong, and it's something that should be explored.
I'm 100% for it to bring in £millions for very little effort. Scottish Rugby receives a lot of money every year for renaming Murrayfield, yet not one supporter ever calls it anything but Murrayfield. No matter what name Celtic Park goes under is largely irrelevant - I, like many others. still call it Parkhead!

It would be excellent if we could tie-in with one of the big Japanese corporations while we are big news over there.

the board have decided that the redevelopment of the south stand at a cost of 100 million is not feasible at present. I would be interested to know if they have explored the possibility of sponsorship with regard to help finance this project as we have several japanese players in our team surely that could be a possible route to explore i know over at the other side of the city they would probably jump at any chance of investment from wherever, but i feel we appear to be over cautious at the other extreme with regards to this and are too insular, and at times not forward thinking enough
It's a good post Seven right now given Nicholson has just stalled on it.
It's good to hear plans have been heard on the subject so it's a serious issue, the board know it must be upgraded at some point Nicholson has let that much out of the bag.
I posted a thread on this subject in September

New European format. Should Celtic increase Capacity?​

My reasoning FOR it was the introduction of the new 36 club super table, champions league first round that replaces the 8 groups of 4, top 2 go through, format .

I'm not sure we need to sell the name rights to any stand , not permanently any roads perhaps temp to help ease the cost .
The season ticket waiting list is reportedly 12 thousand long, on top of the 53 thousand plus already sold.
Put together that's 65,000 ST seats paid for regardless of whether someone's sitting in the seat or not but theres no seat for 12,000.

The current Main Stand holds just under 8,000 capacity, facing the North Stand which holds 27,000 .
Stadium capacity is said to be 60,832 on wikipedia, same page also says 60,411 , perhaps the latter is the capacity for football fans .

Now I'm no expert in mathematics nor finance but I think I can work out that the 12,000 on the ST waiting list, adult ST is priced at £542 for 22/23 at 21 home matches.
Feel free to stop me in my tracks if numbers are wrong but that would be an extra £6.5 million per season just for increasing capacity to match the waiting list numbers.
This would take the stadium to 72,000 , just over..
It would also give the Main Stand a new capacity of roughly 20, 000 ,

If the Main Stand was increased in line with the North Stands 27,000.
Then both Main and North Stands would hold 27,000 capacity each.
A stadium capacity of 77,000 .
Not all of which would always be used.
A top tier bannered over for games in which the top tier isn't needed, we saw that banner effect done well during lockdown.

Like Old Trafford , Bernabeu, Nou Camp , Wembley huge stadiums often don't sell out .
Celtic this season are averaging 59,000 , incredible for a scottish club.
Instead of a ST waiting list, use the money.

Theres around £6.5 million per season to be made from the seats supporters have pledged and wait to buy and another £3-£4 million In the top tier if its opened in similar spec to the north stand giving 77,000 capacity of which the club usually loses 2 thousand to the press and media for champions league games.

With the new format of at least 5 home champions league games and 5 away I'm pretty confident that Celtic Park would sell 10, 000 tickets on top of season ticket numbers that would work out to between 70- 75, 000.
Plus those extra 10,000 general sale tickets could bring the club in another £2 million over 5 home games .
All in about £12 million extra per champions league campaign , its possible.

What's really interesting is that if Nicholson has said they have thought shout it but not for this time , is the £100 million he quoted ÷ by say the £12 million = . ( I know , this is playground calculations somewhat and heavily reliant upon Celtic supporters doing what they always do, buy STs and any tickets going for a champions league night then fill the stadium to the gunnells) but that crass calculation would mean that the new Main Stand would have paid for itself in around 8½ seasons time .

Factor in TV money, and the possibility of perhaps leading the bame of the stand or top tier or both for say 5 years or more and that stand has paid for itself in under 10 seasons and that would see it built by the end of the decade if they began now.

Of course we need a good side first and foremost so must invest in the team for the next 2 or 3 seasons but if we are regulars in this new 36 club table for 3 or 4 seasons in a row , we should go for it.

That would take Celtic to another level, the biggest club stadium in the UK and impossible to leave out of any future talks on the shape of the champions league to come.

Plus if we're going to call on our Japanese connections might as well call it the Sony Bhoy Stand.
Plus + itSony used for champions league games and especially night time hunskelpings

Imagine a 75, 000 complete Celtic Park under the lights and there'SONY 700 huns away up ìn the corner where they can howl at the moon and naebody can hear them ☺️
Paradise indeed

Page1/1888 😛

Members online

Latest posts

Back