The Squad

They are listed in the first team squad though...along with a few others

Urhoghide is apparently not nearly good enough, yet. He is behind Bosun Lawal & Dane Murray in the first team pecking order at the moment (Lawal and Murray also have the bonus of regular football together in the B team). Several months coaching and maybe a loan move in January would probably be best development pathway for him.
Shaw is still young enough to play in the B Team (U20s). Listened to a scouting report on him when he signed and the conclusion was that as of now he wasn't of the necessary quality to play midfield for us but may, in time, be a good option at centre half.
I wouldn't expect to see any of them in the first team squad, unless there's an injury crisis, anytime soon. I can see them both go out on loan in January.

It's an International week so with no games bar the women's game I'm going to go through all the signings and give their pros and cons for The Celtic star over next few days and I'll post them here for some added debate.
For me I hope we've now got foundations laid. The squad isn't rebuilt yet but what I hope we have is the groundwork to get started and over January(J-League close season?) and next summer we add quality over the quantity,
I'm with Gary on this the Eight position remains a problem and I have concerns as to whether our defensive mid options in Soro and McCarthy will suit starting the play rather than their strengths are breaking up attacks. Time will tell.
We also have issues over a few players moving on and I'd think Boli and Barkas will surely move on soon - good call on Russia and Turkey, that could be a quick route.
For me it's now about Dom McKay with Ange input convincing the board on the structural change, hopefully appointing someone to oversee football operations long term and let Dom get back to his job. From there we can get a plan in place to negate the need for an overhaul like this again, get pathways for kids, link the B team into first team and enhance the level of opposition they pay against and expand our scouting system. We can't afford the best players, the finished articles but we could compete for staff, guys and girls who can find the talent early and mitigate the risks we're having to take at the moment. There is a lot of trust for Ange out there and he's earned it, I think Dom deserves immense credit so far too already and I think there is a genuine appetite from him to modernise our ways. I do worry about boardroom resistance though.
Great post Niall and imo just adds to the feel good factor. I think our window has been quite remarkable given the downturn in the market with less spend across Europe even in the cash rich EPL...the sums (if accurate)we got for Ajer Eddie and Christie given their contract status was some effort. Don't expect every single signing to be a baller but there are great expectations at face value. Barring being unlucky with injuries It feels like to me it will be just enough to fight on all fronts until January and given the net spend we have achieved we would then be in a great place to strengthen again in a market which will have bargains due to the previous covid year finances at most clubs.
Contrast that to the Klan club whose directors stated themselves they would have to sell in this window ...nobody was interested in their players. Whilst I concede they have a settled squad I would site Goldshun Moreloss and Shooter as our Eddie Ayer and Christie unsettling the dressing room with one or two more thinking they are worth more in wages than they are. No prospect of incoming for them in January either so I would hope this new Celtic team can pull together very quickly as the opportunity is their to really put the pressure on them and then power by them after January.

Contrast that to the Klan club whose directors stated themselves they would have to sell in this window ...nobody was interested in their players. Whilst I concede they have a settled squad
They do have what appears outwardly a settled squad but I dont believe that for a minute. Morelos and Kent have both made it clear they want a move and neither are supposed to be happy that they didnt get one . I'm sure there'll be others time will show if they doen tools ot just go through the motions, if Celtic are a stepping stone club then they certainly are but as far as I'm aware Josh windass £2.5 million is the biggest fee they've recieved for any player

Members online

Latest posts

Back