The Super sensitive Christies and the thick skin needed to play for Celtic

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
I think Charlie Christie worries too much. Ryan is doing just fine and at one point he looked a certainty for player of the year.
Let's not forget his old man headed back north homesick when he was on Celtic's books. Inverness to Glasgow is barely over 3 hours drive. I always got the impression when I lived up there that Charlie liked being the big fish in the small pond as a hero to the Caley support. He didn't back himself enough to handle the pressure at Celtic. Ryan I'm certain is made of sterner stuff. Charlie Christie had the ability with the ball to play at the top. He didn't quite have the mentality for it. The fact Ryan has pushed himself into the first 11 via those loan spells shows there is something more to him upstairs. His old man may be being protective but Ryan isn't 16 and living away from home for the first time, he can fight his own battles and as far as I can make out he has none to fight. He's making it at Celtic just fine. Something his Dad didn't quite manage.

I think Charlie Christie worries too much. Ryan is doing just fine and at one point he looked a certainty for player of the year.
Let's not forget his old man headed back north homesick when he was on Celtic's books. Inverness to Glasgow is barely over 3 hours drive. I always got the impression when I lived up there that Charlie liked being the big fish in the small pond as a hero to the Caley support. He didn't back himself enough to handle the pressure at Celtic. Ryan I'm certain is made of sterner stuff. Charlie Christie had the ability with the ball to play at the top. He didn't quite have the mentality for it. The fact Ryan has pushed himself into the first 11 via those loan spells shows there is something more to him upstairs. His old man may be being protective but Ryan isn't 16 and living away from home for the first time, he can fight his own battles and as far as I can make out he has none to fight. He's making it at Celtic just fine. Something his Dad didn't quite manage.
Totally agree Niall. I think his Dad is overly sensitive here - or maybe the journalist is exaggerating a wee bit!

I do think as a whole we are maybe more likely to be s bit dismissive of some domestic signings (there was a fair bit of negativity when we signed Griffiths for example) but the fans in the stands will very quickly get right behind every player to encourage and support them. If they then start performing then the negativity disappears. I think in Ryan's case it has been totally 100% positive (except for that brainfart against Livi when he reacted badly to some of the constant niggling their players were somehow getting away with).

Before his injury last season he was almost unplayable he was that good. He didn't get back up to the same unbelievable levels as before but I think he (like CalMac) will benefit from a proper rest and be one of our best players next years.

It’s true, everyone in the public eye needs a thick skin, everyone has an opinion, lots of keyboard warriors out there, social media means you can get it out to a wider audience than traditionally just your mates, That’s why, apart from this site I don’t do any of it, only joined up here though total lockdown boredom 🤣🤣

Always believed Christie would be a great player for us ,just needed a run in the team and he took his chance.Dont know any Celtic fan who doesnt like him so dont know what his old mans gibbering about.

Last edited by a moderator:
Charlie just looking out for his boy the Scottish boys that come to Celtic like the boys that come through the ranks have to work hard to prove themselves most European signings are given a bit of leeway as the are entering a different environment but these guys get stuck as well when their performances fall bellow the standards expected

Always believed Christie would be a great player for us ,just needed a run in the team and he took his chance.Dont know any Celtic fan who doesnt like him so dont know what his old mans gibbering about.
I don't know -- Christie got dragged pretty bad after that red card, and it has pretty much led me to this observation: There are people who truly love their club and the players involved, and there are those who are just miserable pricks who happen to "like" the same club you do, but slag everyone in the club nonstop from the ballboys to the CEO. It seems to apply to all clubs and, sadly, Celtic is no exception.

The article covers it, but I don't necessarily think the Christies, Senior and Junior, were wrong to pull the plug on social media for a bit, since it is pretty much a cesspool in the first place.

Hard to argue pal. You've got a good knack of getting it right👍

Seems like a bit of a non story to me.

Dad trying to protect his son, well knock me down with a feather who would have thought that.

And I think if Ryan was irked by something on social media he has done the right thing, delete and ignore, too many people only out to knock you and social media gives them an anonymous platform for it. Its a bit like scrolling bye someone on here when they are pished and talking shit, or just explaining the bloody obvious to us thickos.

Ignore them, I do (mostly).😇😂.

And I've never booed any Celtic player in my life. Hoped to never see a few again in the hoops but ain't we all 🤣🤣

Some of our fans and the sevvies have that in common.
They don't rate anybody who plays for the other lot OR a diddy team. Some of our guys didn't fancy Griff, Stuart Armstrong got dog's abuse, mind you, Deila was playing him wide left. The sevvies didn't fancy Ryan Jack until he had done it for them a few times. I can remember a good few of our guys who didn't rate Broonie until he had the chance to persuade them in the Hoops.
Fickle folk - some football fans.

Members online

No members online now.

Back