Tom Collins: Time Orange Order distanced itself from slaver king Billy

26+6=1

I once spent a fruitless evening at the House of Orange when it was on Belfast’s Dublin Road. The irony of the location was not lost on me. As a metaphor it was a powerful one.

It was the 1990s, and the Orange Order was at the centre of another marching season storm. I was there as editor of this paper, with my counterpart from the News Letter, to try and reason with them. We also met representatives of residents in Portadown who had had their full of Orange triumphalism.

It wasn’t really the job of newspaper editors to treat with the Orange Order, or those opposed to their so-called right to march, but our readers had a vested interest in settling things through dialogue rather than violence.

The library, where I was parked before our meeting, had a healthy section on Catholicism – more histories of the papacy, I suspect, than the average parochial house. I didn’t check, but I bet there was a bookmark at the entry for Pope Alexander VIII who celebrated King Billy’s victory at the Boyne by ringing the bells in St Peter’s.

The entries for the notorious Borgia popes – God loves a sinner – will also have provided fodder for speeches laying out the iniquities of the Roman Church.

We left without securing peace in our time. But Geoff Martin was gifted with a jar of orange marmalade, and I was given a pot of blackberry jam. The Orange Order and the Royal Black Institution understood the power of merchandising ahead of their time.

We were treated with courtesy, but sad to say, the Orange Order in Portadown subsequently refused to meet me.

The Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland (good to know it will not have to rebrand when the country is once again united) says it is committed to protecting the principles of William’s Glorious Revolution “which enshrined civil and religious liberty for all”.

The phrase ‘for all’ is used without irony. But Order membership is restricted to adult males. Women and children have their own associations, and Catholics need not apply.

The Orange Order says its core values include “religious tolerance and respect”. You can make your own mind up on that.

Like the members of the cult who can see only good in Boris Johnson, King Billy’s status as the embodiment of “civil and religious liberty for all” is visible only to those who believe the pope is the anti-Christ and that All Kinds of Everything is a republican anthem.

You can’t blame King Billy for the Orange Order, he was dead 90 years before it was founded. But his reputation as a champion for liberty is about to take another knock.

A year before the Battle of the Boyne, William III was gifted shares in the Royal African Company – thousands of men, women and children (186,827 to be precise) were seized by the company and enslaved. It operated under a royal charter, and King Billy was the company’s governor.

Next week, on July 1, his descendent King Willem-Alexander is expected to make a formal apology for the Dutch royal house’s role in the slave trade. The House of Orange earned the equivalent of £800 million from the trade which was developed by William of Orange.

A further reckoning is to come when a UK study, supported by William’s successor King Charles, is completed.

Unlike other port cities, Belfast rejected the slave trade. But slavery played a significant role in enriching its sister city, Glasgow. The city council there has commissioned a study to look at its slaving past.

And in critics’ sights is a statue of King Billy near Glasgow’s medieval cathedral. The lines of a battle between those who believe the statue should be removed, and the Orange Order in Scotland, are already being mapped out.

Grand Master Jim McHarg told The Times this week: “It is news to me that King William was involved in the slave trade.” News indeed.

The plinth on King Billy’s statue says he saved Europe from the ‘yoke of slavery intended by the French'. That is no consolation to the hundreds of thousands he and his minions enslaved.

Or, to put it another way, he stood for civil and religious liberty for all, but only if you are European, white and Protestant.

Never mind the royals, it’s time the Orange Order distanced itself from the slaver king and genuinely embraced liberty ‘for all'.

I once spent a fruitless evening at the House of Orange when it was on Belfast’s Dublin Road. The irony of the location was not lost on me. As a metaphor it was a powerful one.

It was the 1990s, and the Orange Order was at the centre of another marching season storm. I was there as editor of this paper, with my counterpart from the News Letter, to try and reason with them. We also met representatives of residents in Portadown who had had their full of Orange triumphalism.

It wasn’t really the job of newspaper editors to treat with the Orange Order, or those opposed to their so-called right to march, but our readers had a vested interest in settling things through dialogue rather than violence.

The library, where I was parked before our meeting, had a healthy section on Catholicism – more histories of the papacy, I suspect, than the average parochial house. I didn’t check, but I bet there was a bookmark at the entry for Pope Alexander VIII who celebrated King Billy’s victory at the Boyne by ringing the bells in St Peter’s.

The entries for the notorious Borgia popes – God loves a sinner – will also have provided fodder for speeches laying out the iniquities of the Roman Church.

We left without securing peace in our time. But Geoff Martin was gifted with a jar of orange marmalade, and I was given a pot of blackberry jam. The Orange Order and the Royal Black Institution understood the power of merchandising ahead of their time.

We were treated with courtesy, but sad to say, the Orange Order in Portadown subsequently refused to meet me.

The Grand Orange Lodge of Ireland (good to know it will not have to rebrand when the country is once again united) says it is committed to protecting the principles of William’s Glorious Revolution “which enshrined civil and religious liberty for all”.

The phrase ‘for all’ is used without irony. But Order membership is restricted to adult males. Women and children have their own associations, and Catholics need not apply.

The Orange Order says its core values include “religious tolerance and respect”. You can make your own mind up on that.

Like the members of the cult who can see only good in Boris Johnson, King Billy’s status as the embodiment of “civil and religious liberty for all” is visible only to those who believe the pope is the anti-Christ and that All Kinds of Everything is a republican anthem.

You can’t blame King Billy for the Orange Order, he was dead 90 years before it was founded. But his reputation as a champion for liberty is about to take another knock.

A year before the Battle of the Boyne, William III was gifted shares in the Royal African Company – thousands of men, women and children (186,827 to be precise) were seized by the company and enslaved. It operated under a royal charter, and King Billy was the company’s governor.

Next week, on July 1, his descendent King Willem-Alexander is expected to make a formal apology for the Dutch royal house’s role in the slave trade. The House of Orange earned the equivalent of £800 million from the trade which was developed by William of Orange.

A further reckoning is to come when a UK study, supported by William’s successor King Charles, is completed.

Unlike other port cities, Belfast rejected the slave trade. But slavery played a significant role in enriching its sister city, Glasgow. The city council there has commissioned a study to look at its slaving past.

And in critics’ sights is a statue of King Billy near Glasgow’s medieval cathedral. The lines of a battle between those who believe the statue should be removed, and the Orange Order in Scotland, are already being mapped out.

Grand Master Jim McHarg told The Times this week: “It is news to me that King William was involved in the slave trade.” News indeed.

The plinth on King Billy’s statue says he saved Europe from the ‘yoke of slavery intended by the French'. That is no consolation to the hundreds of thousands he and his minions enslaved.

Or, to put it another way, he stood for civil and religious liberty for all, but only if you are European, white and Protestant.

Never mind the royals, it’s time the Orange Order distanced itself from the slaver king and genuinely embraced liberty ‘for all'.

And the truth will set you free…

William Stadholder of the united provinces was a republican. He was a cousin of his wife Mary, who was the daughter of the King he was asked to replace. The main gripe of the peepo who wanted James VII replaced was he was trying to introduce actual freedom of religion in UK. William of Orange was not a member of the Orange order. that came 105 years after the battle of the Boyne. There was no Orange marches for 105 years after the battle they claim was against Popery.

The whigs who put billy as their head of state were oligarchs who were anti church of England and republican as opposed to tory pro church of England hierarchy.

The whig party were mostly pro french revolution.

President billy of the united provinces loved the whigs.

Special gentlemen club for the enlightened.

the orange order was formed during the French revolution when the whigs realised that it wasnt just kings losing their napper. it was the entire hierachy of oligarchs of the feudal system.

The revolution was likely to spread to England after Us then french revolutions.

The dutch and british east india company was losing its grip on monopoly first in us then to certain extent in south africa when the boer factions started cutting their masters monopolies.

The republican movements were always led by non church of england protestant movements quite often levelers who were republican. So the orange order was created a bit like goebels would try later based on missinformation and scapegoating.

cromwell was republican
the covenanters were republican in their covenant

cromwell smashed the covenanters when they proposed king charles 2nd be put in charge under whig criteria.

the Billy boys love Cromwell the republican
And billy the republican
And the whig philosphy of we arra peepo

The tories and whigs more or less became modern tory party around time labour movements were forming to give workers better deal than under the oligarch system

hence churchill the whig from ww1 became the tory leader in ww2

The orange order peddle missinformation as the forth estate of the old whig hierachy which is of the opinion some people are peepo and the rest are cattle, hence whigamore cattle drivers.

Last edited:
Am sorry, but slavery was just a normal part of the world back then and had been for thousands of years.
Africans were slaves to other Africans and also to countries in the middle east before Europeans got involved.
Europeans enslaved other Europeans and in Asia, they enslaved other Asians.
It was just a fact of life.
To then try and change history because we nowadays don't like what happened in our history is a joke.
What is even more of a joke is black people in America want money(repatriations) because their great,great,great, great, great grandparents were slaves is fucking ridiculous.
Anyone is asks for repatriations should be told NO, if your not happy we will pay for you to ho back to where you 5x great grandparents were taken from

Am sorry, but slavery was just a normal part of the world back then and had been for thousands of years.
Africans were slaves to other Africans and also to countries in the middle east before Europeans got involved.
To then try and change history because we nowadays don't like what happened in our history is a joke.
What is even more of a joke is black people in America want money(repatriations) because their great,great,great, great, great grandparents were slaves is fucking ridiculous.
Anyone is asks for repatriations should be told NO, if your not happy we will pay for you to ho back to where you 5x great grandparents were taken from
The people due reparations died long, long ago. The only people compensated at the time were the slave owners- the modern equivalent of Billions was paid out by the British tax payers to Aristocrats and landowners. Not a single person kidnapped from Africa was compensated.
If historical compensation is to be paid then, on my mothers side, I want compensated for An Gorta Mor. On my fathers side I want compensated for the ethnic cleansing of The Highlands and Islands during the Highland Clearances, you could be hung for wearing clan tartans and speaking Gaelic.
There is more slavery in the world today than ever before according to the UN.

Because people of colour in America and the UK have never suffered discrimination or institutionalised racism since the abolition of slavery; unless maybe they play cricket.

Not sure financial compensation will make any difference. But if the slave owners got compensated when slavery was illegal, why are the people often captured and enslaved and severely maltreated in most cases not compensated?

Was starving the irish OK when they belonged to the wealthiest empire in the world but were classed as untermenschen OK?

In my reading I came across some eye watering facts that arent widely known.

Lady diana Spenser and Winston churchill are both members of the same family called The Spenser Churchills descended from King Billy commander the duke of Marlborough John churchill whoses daughter married into the the Stuart/Spenser aristocracy which king billy was a Stuart too being son of Mary Stuart sister of King Charles 1st who was beheaded by Cromwell.

one of the spenser churchills was Queen victorias lady in waiting and was allegedly the one of the playthings of Bertie the Psychopath (later King Edward VII)

Lord primrose (married rothschild heiress Hannah), Arthur balfour (later balfour declaration dude) were good mates with Spenser churchills. And knew bertie the psychopath from Marlborough club meetings all became prime ministers and all detested irish as sub human.

Rothschilds were members of marlborough club.

Balfour previous prime minister and Orangeman signed declaration 1917 with rothschild to help create Zion for Jewish state.

Rothschilds married into the highest echelons of aristocracy around this time.

House of Saxe coburg Gotha leopold (descended from the bloke dracula was based upon)became Kings of Belgium when Belgium rejected Dutch overlordship and refused to by led by house of Orange.

Not long after Albert Saxe coburg gotha married queen victoria fathering 9 kids who became married to most of the ruling families in europe.

House of saxe coburg gotha have a terrible record with treating certain races as untermenschen

changed name to Windsor despite being close family of Kaiser willhelm (oldest grandson of queen victoria I think)

Prussian Hanoverian and bavarian as well as Orange branches of elites were all pretty much same family and had almost same world views which liked serfs/slaves and human cattle philosophy.

214402995_4488956504471059_8188294005299598278_n.jpg

When a united Ireland comes in the not too distant future, these sectarian morons will have to abide by Irish law.

This anti social, sectarian and divisive behaviour simply won’t be tolerated and will ultimately see them having to choose between staying and abiding by the rule of law or taking their despicable culture to another place.

The sooner the better…

When a united Ireland comes in the not too distant future, these sectarian morons will have to abide by Irish law.

This anti social, sectarian and divisive behaviour simply won’t be tolerated and will ultimately see them having to choose between staying and abiding by the rule of law or taking their despicable culture to another place.

The sooner the better…
They will probably move to wee bitter Scotland knowing they will be safe there to carry on with their anti catholic marches of hate.

This is not posted for lolz. A person is injured in this and it's only posted to highlight the stupidity of a 'tradition' which has no place in modern society.

Take a wild guess he won't ever walk again ,not only the stupidity of this hate fest but it's not as if you let him lay next to a burning bonfire, so moving him would result in more serious damage
bigotry like stupidity knows no bounds

Back