Trial by television - how to do it right

BenLynch29

As a primer: James’ blog post today.

My own 2¢ on this is that it is long overdue and part of any sensible reform in the game, in Scotland and elsewhere.

The objective, in my opinion, should be to take disciplinary decisions that last beyond the 90 minute match in question and have them decided in a transparent, open, and fair process where all participants understand the rules and procedure used to arrive at a result. The rationale being that suspensions, particularly ones imposed for multiple matches, are major decisions with significant impacts not only on the two clubs participating in the match, but also other clubs in the competition (be it the league or cup). The Association needs to get these decisions right, or at least as right as they can as often as they can, and that can only happen if the process is utilizing all available information and there is consistency in the decision making process — none of which is possible if it falls to dozens of matchday officials to impose a sanction via red card without the benefit of multiple viewing angles, slow motion, or multiple viewings.

So what does an ideal process look like? Well, I think it involves several pieces.
  1. A dedicated staff at the SFA or SPFL office to review ALL matches. The staff are to highlight any potential violation - regardless of any action or inaction by the matchday official - and log it.
  2. Once in the log, the incident can be broken down and analyzed relative to the wording of the relevent rule as well as the standard applied from past precedent. In other words, officials can look at these incidents and point by point compare the new incident to prior incidents that are similar and also compare actions against written criteria that warrant additional discipline.
  3. If the league/association feels discipline may be warranted, an invitation is sent to the offender to explain himself and offer any mitigating evidence. These meetings can be done over the phone/Skype or in person. If the league does not feel like any sanction should be imposed, the process continues although the meeting with the offender may be skipped as no defense is necessary.
  4. After the hearing has been held, the committee reaches a verdict and publicly publishes the decision along with the evidence it used to reach the verdict. Additionally, the verdict is also logged to be used as additional percent for future similar incidents.
  5. The people who are part of this process should be publicly known and those with conflict of interest must be removed on a case by case basis. If it was me, I would suggest an office outside of Scotland (London? Liverpool? Manchester?) staffed by former players or referees with no historical ties to the Scottish game or any of its clubs.
  6. Also, it would be highly beneficial if the league put out videos showing borderline cases of what does and does not constitute a violation with a detailed explanation. Doing this beforehand adds transparency to the process and can be used as for reference when dealing with similar incidents in the future.
If this all seems pie-in-the-sky, it’s not. A process nearly identical to this already exists, and while not perfect, it works remarkably well. Details to follow...

As a primer: James’ blog post today.

My own 2¢ on this is that it is long overdue and part of any sensible reform in the game, in Scotland and elsewhere.

The objective, in my opinion, should be to take disciplinary decisions that last beyond the 90 minute match in question and have them decided in a transparent, open, and fair process where all participants understand the rules and procedure used to arrive at a result. The rationale being that suspensions, particularly ones imposed for multiple matches, are major decisions with significant impacts not only on the two clubs participating in the match, but also other clubs in the competition (be it the league or cup). The Association needs to get these decisions right, or at least as right as they can as often as they can, and that can only happen if the process is utilizing all available information and there is consistency in the decision making process — none of which is possible if it falls to dozens of matchday officials to impose a sanction via red card without the benefit of multiple viewing angles, slow motion, or multiple viewings.

So what does an ideal process look like? Well, I think it involves several pieces.
  1. A dedicated staff at the SFA or SPFL office to review ALL matches. The staff are to highlight any potential violation - regardless of any action or inaction by the matchday official - and log it.
  2. Once in the log, the incident can be broken down and analyzed relative to the wording of the relevent rule as well as the standard applied from past precedent. In other words, officials can look at these incidents and point by point compare the new incident to prior incidents that are similar and also compare actions against written criteria that warrant additional discipline.
  3. If the league/association feels discipline may be warranted, an invitation is sent to the offender to explain himself and offer any mitigating evidence. These meetings can be done over the phone/Skype or in person. If the league does not feel like any sanction should be imposed, the process continues although the meeting with the offender may be skipped as no defense is necessary.
  4. After the hearing has been held, the committee reaches a verdict and publicly publishes the decision along with the evidence it used to reach the verdict. Additionally, the verdict is also logged to be used as additional percent for future similar incidents.
  5. The people who are part of this process should be publicly known and those with conflict of interest must be removed on a case by case basis. If it was me, I would suggest an office outside of Scotland (London? Liverpool? Manchester?) staffed by former players or referees with no historical ties to the Scottish game or any of its clubs.
  6. Also, it would be highly beneficial if the league put out videos showing borderline cases of what does and does not constitute a violation with a detailed explanation. Doing this beforehand adds transparency to the process and can be used as for reference when dealing with similar incidents in the future.
If this all seems pie-in-the-sky, it’s not. A process nearly identical to this already exists, and while not perfect, it works remarkably well. Details to follow...
I'd just get Judge Ito, Marcia Clarke, Johnnie Cochrane and throw in a bit of OJ......there's a proper trial by television and another orange bastard getting away with murder!

The people who are part of this process should be publicly known and those with conflict of interest must be removed on a case by case basis. If it was me, I would suggest an office outside of Scotland (London? Liverpool? Manchester?) staffed by former players or referees with no historical ties to the Scottish game or any of its clubs. ,, or any sort of affiliation to societies of secrets, which could be harder than finding a virgin in a labour ward.

The process described above has been evolving in the National Hockey League. The league HQ is in Toronto, but their Department of Player Safety is based out of NYC, and they have direct video feeds of all cameras at all matches where they’re recording and monitoring every game throughout the season. The staff are employed full time by the league and generally speaking do a really good job.

As an example, there is a rule in hockey against hit to the head, and it’s a relatively new rule in an age where there is much greater awareness of concussions. There are two great educational videos the league has put out on this rule:

Video 1
Video 2

And then here is a video of a league decision imposing a penalty. If you watch all three of these videos, you’ll note that the decision goes through the rule outlined in the educational videos point by point in making its suspension determination. There’s really no question here as to the outcome with the only real grey area being the length of suspension.

Suspension video.

If the SFA and/or SPFL is serious about reforming this process, hiring some retired players or referees from England to go through the matchday video and make determinations like this would go a long way toward addressing concerns about consistency, fairness, and transparency that have plagued the SFA this season. The Association have lost all credibility with every single club with the ad-hoc, make-it-up-as-we-go-along approach it has utilized this year. They league has become a laughingstock, but implementing a solution like this would go a long way to both silencing critics and solving the underlying issue.

The people who are part of this process should be publicly known and those with conflict of interest must be removed on a case by case basis. If it was me, I would suggest an office outside of Scotland (London? Liverpool? Manchester?) staffed by former players or referees with no historical ties to the Scottish game or any of its clubs. ,, or any sort of affiliation to societies of secrets, which could be harder than finding a virgin in a labour ward.
That’s why I think this ought to be done outside of Scotland. I think someone like Mark Clattenburg would be perfect to lead the department. He’s highly competent having officiated finals for both Champions League and World Cup, and he has no known ties to Scotland or any of its clubs. He would be seen by all as fair and impartial (at least until he issued his first decision!).

That’s why I think this ought to be done outside of Scotland. I think someone like Mark Clattenburg would be perfect to lead the department. He’s highly competent having officiated finals for both Champions League and World Cup, and he has no known ties to Scotland or any of its clubs. He would be seen by all as fair and impartial (at least until he issued his first decision!).
Sound logic, Ben, but I'd be far happier with Dermot Gallagher (not that his heritage would affect his judgement or anything).

Any decent person, that hasn't been brainwashed into the zombie culture, must realise pretty soon that they taking blood money. Few notable exceptions, novo etc . but anyone that fights inequality cant pick up a wage at ibrox as a catholic and think .. these are good people !

Members online

No members online now.

Back