Upcoming November we will remember

The poppy nazi’s out in force when it’s suits them, but you can make your own choice when it suits them too, fecken Hypocrites😡

For me it absolutely IS a personal choice. In the interest of clarity let me say I do wear the poppy. My father served in The H.L.I, and saw active service. As a youngster I used to think of him as a hero because he fought the Germans. ( Still do ). He refused to talk about the war and his part in it; but one time I cornered him after he had more that a few halfs. So I thought, this is my chance; he tried to open up to me and tell me what war was like. But he couldn't, he actually started crying. All he ended up saying was we should never glorify war, that there was nothing glorious in watching your friends and comrades dropping dead all around you. I think my dad always felt a kind of guilt simply because he survived and others didn't Yes. I wear the poppy .

For me it absolutely IS a personal choice. In the interest of clarity let me say I do wear the poppy. My father served in The H.L.I, and saw active service. As a youngster I used to think of him as a hero because he fought the Germans. ( Still do ). He refused to talk about the war and his part in it; but one time I cornered him after he had more that a few halfs. So I thought, this is my chance; he tried to open up to me and tell me what war was like. But he couldn't, he actually started crying. All he ended up saying was we should never glorify war, that there was nothing glorious in watching your friends and comrades dropping dead all around you. I think my dad always felt a kind of guilt simply because he survived and others didn't Yes. I wear the poppy .

Harry Patch: Never spoke about the war until he turned a 100 years old​

Fighting for their lives

You daren’t show above otherwise a sniper would have you. You used to look between the fire and apertures and all you could see was a couple of stray dogs out there, fighting over a biscuit that they’d found. They were fighting for their lives. And the thought came to me – well, there they are, two animals out there fighting over dog biscuit, the same as we get to live. They were fighting for their lives. I said, ‘We are two civilised nations - British and German - and what were we doing? We were in a lousy, dirty trench fighting for our lives? For what? For eighteen pence a flipping day.’

Defo Respect the choice to be free

Personally,i dont wear a poppy but put a pound in the box at mass,one day a hun at work asked me if i wore a poppy,no i said i put a pound in at mass and don't take one,so i said do you put your pound in and take one ? yes he replied so i said that my poppy was worth twice as much as his because someone else put a pound in and took the one i was to get,stupid inbred couldn't fathom it out so i had to explain poor soul.

Last edited:
Terrific post davie-c. I sometimes think it's easy to forget that world war two wasn't about British colonialism/imperialism. It was a fight against a very evil entity, a fight for the very soul of humanity. A fight fought by several countries; not by any means just Britain... America, Canada, Australia, France, Russia, India. While Ireland remained neutral, tens of thousands of Irish folk, men and woman, also fought. People of all colours and creeds put aside their differences to defeat a particularly evil type of Fascism. We should be forever grateful for their sacrifice.

As for The Great War, The Fureys, song The Green Fields of France, sums up the futility of that particular war better than anything I've ever read. Worth a listen.

There’s no one left alive from the ww1, and in 15- 20 years the won’t be away one left alive from the ww2, will be still have a poppy day? Will there be any point, when there none of our great grandfathers, grandfathers and fathers, they were conscripted to fight the Germans, Italians and Japanese, I have every respect for them, but every solider since then signed up, took the queen’s shilling, they knew what they were getting into, none of us, the people asked them to, the whole Irish debacle in the 60s, 70’s and 80’s and in the Easter rising era, has hardened my opinion of them, they brutalised our people, but they expect us to put a coin in a can they rattle under our noses and wear a poppy to thank them for it?
I won’t castigate anyone for wearing a poppy, it’s their choice, but it’s not for me.
I’m Irish and unrepentant 🍀

tet, our resident historian, can no doubt fill pages of the British army history in Ireland, but none of it would be pleasant reading.....😡

Last edited:
Terrific post davie-c. I sometimes think it's easy to forget that world war two wasn't about British colonialism/imperialism. It was a fight against a very evil entity, a fight for the very soul of humanity. A fight fought by several countries; not by any means just Britain... America, Canada, Australia, France, Russia, India. While Ireland remained neutral, tens of thousands of Irish folk, men and woman, also fought. People of all colours and creeds put aside their differences to defeat a particularly evil type of Fascism. We should be forever grateful for their sacrifice.

As for The Great War, The Fureys, song The Green Fields of France, sums up the futility of that particular war better than anything I've ever read. Worth a listen.
Scotsman Eric Bogle wrote The Green Fields of France and also The Band Played Waltzing Matilda, two of the best anti war songs ever written.

Something to do with the posh egg chasers not taking a knee on Sunday in support of the BLM movement and the press saying it was up to the individual if they did it, but we get hammered for not wearing a bloodstained poppy on the hoops....
So what your saying is we're discussing poppys because some didn't take the knee at the Scotland rugby match. We must be bored or there's another agenda to me.

Last edited:
A matter of personal choice, I too wear a poppy the reason why is due to family members who joined the armed forces and to honour the large number of good Irish men who too fought against fascism, although I do, I don't have a problem with anyone who doesn't for whatever reason they have, recently throughout the current pandemic we have been encouraged to clap for this and that, especially the NHS, this I don't do but what I do is whenever I have dealings with NHS staff etc is to make sure that I thank people genuinely, politeness is free and is something that we can all do.

A matter of personal choice, I too wear a poppy the reason why is due to family members who joined the armed forces and to honour the large number of good Irish men who too fought against fascism, although I do, I don't have a problem with anyone who doesn't for whatever reason they have, recently throughout the current pandemic we have been encouraged to clap for this and that, especially the NHS, this I don't do but what I do is whenever I have dealings with NHS staff etc is to make sure that I thank people genuinely, politeness is free and is something that we can all do.
I have no issue with anyone wearing the poppy yet I would never wear one myself.
Must admit I wouldn't like it to ever be worn on the celtic Jersey

Would not wear one myself and like the lad. But anyone who actively goes on social media is kinda asking for grief. I mean you'd never guess a billion plus humans talking to themselves all at once, would cause any real problems.

Members online

Latest posts

Back