What a load of poo.

Woodbinebhoy

Hi all.
I just can't believe the trash that some newspapers write about Celtic and, to be fair, Rangers. The latest is about how they would survive in the EPL..
It turns out that they would struggle to remain in the EPL and would, almost instantly, be relegated.
The difference would be that they would both not even have the majority of current staff and would be able to spend considerably more on team building.
They are also much better supported than most of the English teams and their stadiums would be full of fanatical fans with really good traveling support to boot.
Please spare me this claptrap as circumstances would be far different and only by trying it would we find out. It is easy to be vociferous when there is no proof but like America, the election was not stolen.

I'm not just saying this, being a Celtic fan, but support and pulling power, in terms of sponsors and players, we are a million leagues above SEVCO.

The idea that the scum attract as much support as Celtic, outside Glasgow, is nonsense. They are like arsenal and Chelsea in that sense. Both clubs appear to have big supports but not really. Not outside London. Yes, the scum have a massive following in scotland and yes, there are pockets of scum scattered around, the likes of Northern and Southern England ex-squaddies and raging bigots, but they are few.

If both clubs got into the EPL, the scottish media wouldn't be able to paint sevcos bigotry and sectarianism as a carnival atmosphere. Good sponsors are already wary of them due to their actions in Scotland. They would, of course, make more money but no more than the likes of Bournemouth. And top top players don't sign for the likes of Bournemouth.

Celtic, on the other hand, are a club that already generates millions. If the 3 King's movie about Stein, Shankly and Busby is to be believed, along with united and Liverpool, we share a billion fans worldwide. We are a sponsors dream. The greatest players in the game love our fans and our stadium. With the backing of the EPL millions we could very easily be the best team in the UK.

If both Celtic and Sevco ever got into the EPL, we would rise and they would fall. IMO

Naw, it’s hard to argue with the newspaper’s views on that, as the latest champions league gubbings for both teams show, at the moment both us and the Huns are keeping Scottish football afloat, without us it’s similar to the league of Ireland.
I have NO DOUBT that it we were transplanted into the EPL we’d be instantly relegated, we just don’t have anywhere near the quality of players to play in that league, we’d need 3-5 years of EPL money to compete

Naw, it’s hard to argue with the newspaper’s views on that, as the latest champions league gubbings for both teams show, at the moment both us and the Huns are keeping Scottish football afloat, without us it’s similar to the league of Ireland.
I have NO DOUBT that it we were transplanted into the EPL we’d be instantly relegated, we just don’t have anywhere near the quality of players to play in that league, we’d need 3-5 years of EPL money to compete

Investors would be all over Celtic if we made the jump tomorrow....like you wouldn't believe! I don't buy into the 3-5 year thing....there's a reason Dermot doest open up his cheque book.....he could spend 50 million and still be not much better than we currently are, a treble, a last 16 place at best..what's he going to gain from that?...to get to the elite level top 6, we need an Arab, an American or even the richest of Irishmen to invest real money in us... it ain't going in Scotland and TV money can only get you so far in the EPL

Investors would be all over Celtic if we made the jump tomorrow....like you wouldn't believe! I don't buy into the 3-5 year thing....there's a reason Dermot doest open up his cheque book.....he could spend 50 million and still be not much better than we currently are, a treble, a last 16 place at best..what's he going to gain from that?...to get to the elite level top 6, we need an Arab, an American or even the richest of Irishmen to invest real money in us... it ain't going in Scotland and TV money can only get you so far in the EPL
Aye, but we’re nae closer tae joining the EPL as we were when it was 1st discussed 40years ago 🤷‍♂️
IMO it will never happen, but it’s frustrating seeing piss poor supported clubs like Bournemouth etc with 10k crowds spending £30 million on a player without hesitation, while laughing at us 😡

The only way out is the North Atlantic league, where the smaller nations, like us, Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, Poland, Belgium etc, withdraw from the uefa cartel and do our own competition, but the key to making it work is complete and absolute refusal to take ANY tv rights to uefa run competitions, champions league, etc, hit them in the pocket

I’m sure aw the viewers would soon get fed up of the same English, German, Spanish French and Italian teams playing each other every year 🤷‍♂️

IMO, Celtic, at this moment in time are better than 3 EPL teams (they are better than more than that) but for the sake of my point let's say 3. So, already, we avoid relegation.

Now come January and the tranfer window opening we arent talking about Celtic spending 3 or 4 million to strengthen our squad. We are talking 40 or 50 million right of the bat. The amount of sponsors and investment that would instantly pour into our club the moment we joined the league would be breathtaking.

The amount that our billionaire major shareholder would be willing to pour in would be breathtaking.

Celtic would never be relegated from the EPL....ever....

I was at the new Emirates stadium for their game against Portsmouth, who's travelling support outsang the Arsenal fans
It is a nice venue, but the atmosphere was non existent, even though most of the seats were filled
Fucking cockney wankers around me start singing what I thought was "Stand up, if you hate Scotland..."
I lean in and say to my mate, wtf ?
"Scottish guy comes on for the opposition, and they start with that chant ?"
He says "No, they're singing stand up, if you hate Tottenham"
Fucking hair lips, the lot of them, learn to speak English ya fuds ;-)
EPL, most over rated league in the world, imho

I was at the new Emirates stadium for their game against Portsmouth, who's travelling support outsang the Arsenal fans
It is a nice venue, but the atmosphere was non existent, even though most of the seats were filled
Fucking cockney wankers around me start singing what I thought was "Stand up, if you hate Scotland..."
I lean in and say to my mate, wtf ?
"Scottish guy comes on for the opposition, and they start with that chant ?"
He says "No, they're singing stand up, if you hate Tottenham"
Fucking hair lips, the lot of them, learn to speak English ya fuds ;-)
EPL, most over rated league in the world, imho
Totally agree DILL, Been to a few ELP grounds. Everton, Man Utd, Man city, Newcastle, West Ham. Atmosphere non exsistant, passion where? Seriously brutal experience heard Marcel marso make more noise! Vastly overrated league!

IMO, Celtic, at this moment in time are better than 3 EPL teams (they are better than more than that) but for the sake of my point let's say 3. So, already, we avoid relegation.

Now come January and the tranfer window opening we arent talking about Celtic spending 3 or 4 million to strengthen our squad. We are talking 40 or 50 million right of the bat. The amount of sponsors and investment that would instantly pour into our club the moment we joined the league would be breathtaking.

The amount that our billionaire major shareholder would be willing to pour in would be breathtaking.

Celtic would never be relegated from the EPL....ever....
That's my thoughts as well. No one can tell me that over a season this team of ours wouldn't be better than, say, Forest, Bournemouth, Everton, Palace, etc.

To be sure, it's a dilemma. Of course, being in the SPFL we would continue to be part of the Champions/Europa/Whatever League competitions by virtue of winning the league on a consistent basis, at least when there's no pandemic. But Celtic deserves better -- a lot better -- than the SPFL and their do-nothing attitude toward blatantly inept and obviously crooked cheating by the match officials.
The idea that the scum attract as much support as Celtic, outside Glasgow, is nonsense.
This is completely true, especially in the US. You say "Rangers" here and the first reaction is the New York ice hockey team. And then, the Major League Baseball team based near Dallas (the Texas Rangers). Unless they follow football, no one here says, "Oh yeah, that soccer team." But you say "Celtic" and people know, even if they think you dropped the "S" and you might be referring to the NBA team in Boston.

Here's another example I may have mentioned before: I deal with the public a lot in my job in the parking department for the City of Santa Cruz. When I see someone wearing a football jersey or item reflecting a team, I strike up a conversation. Most of the time it's European tourists visiting Santa Cruz, and it's one of the perks of my job to talk football with them. I get a lot of EPL fans come through the line -- City and United on a lot of occasions and occasionally an Arsenal or Liverpool, or even Barca -- and in three years I've only come across one group of Rangers fans, and that was only a few months ago. The only reason I know they were Huns was because one of them complained that I was wearing a Celtic mask (I have to mask up for work). Customer service went out the window, I showed them a lot of people here follow Scottish football by holding up my phone -- which has Billy McNeill hoisting the European Cup in Lisbon as the lock screen -- and ultimately I ended up charging them $16.90 for parking (later I kicked myself -- I should have charged $20.12).

The fact of the matter is that Rangers have always existed in Celtic's slipstream, especially in the wake of 1967 and especially as the tribute act they are today, and would continue to do so if we were to join the EPL. And as Lubo said, we would make it and they would not.

The only down side to "going south" is that we would probably be absent from European competition for awhile, as the opposition would be much stiffer and we may end up being midtable dwellers at first in that league. But we would definitely be better than at least three of the EPL teams and avoid relegation. Huns? Not so much.

To be sure, it's a dilemma. Of course, being in the SPFL we would continue to be part of the Champions/Europa/Whatever League competitions by virtue of winning the league on a consistent basis, at least when there's no pandemic. But Celtic deserves better -- a lot better -- than the SPFL and their do-nothing attitude toward blatantly inept and obviously crooked cheating by the match officials.

This is completely true, especially in the US. You say "Rangers" here and the first reaction is the New York ice hockey team. And then, the Major League Baseball team based near Dallas (the Texas Rangers). Unless they follow football, no one here says, "Oh yeah, that soccer team." But you say "Celtic" and people know, even if they think you dropped the "S" and you might be referring to the NBA team in Boston.

Here's another example I may have mentioned before: I deal with the public a lot in my job in the parking department for the City of Santa Cruz. When I see someone wearing a football jersey or item reflecting a team, I strike up a conversation. Most of the time it's European tourists visiting Santa Cruz, and it's one of the perks of my job to talk football with them. I get a lot of EPL fans come through the line -- City and United on a lot of occasions and occasionally an Arsenal or Liverpool, or even Barca -- and in three years I've only come across one group of Rangers fans, and that was only a few months ago. The only reason I know they were Huns was because one of them complained that I was wearing a Celtic mask (I have to mask up for work). Customer service went out the window, I showed them a lot of people here follow Scottish football by holding up my phone -- which has Billy McNeill hoisting the European Cup in Lisbon as the lock screen -- and ultimately I ended up charging them $16.90 for parking (later I kicked myself -- I should have charged $20.12).

The fact of the matter is that Rangers have always existed in Celtic's slipstream, especially in the wake of 1967 and especially as the tribute act they are today, and would continue to do so if we were to join the EPL. And as Lubo said, we would make it and they would not.

The only down side to "going south" is that we would probably be absent from European competition for awhile, as the opposition would be much stiffer and we may end up being midtable dwellers at first in that league. But we would definitely be better than at least three of the EPL teams and avoid relegation. Huns? Not so much.
Love it Larry
I laughed when you mentioned charging the Huns $16.90 and $20.12
At one time, there were 240 Celtic supporters clubs around the world and the Huns had about 200, but with the advent of Celtic TV and the Mutants channel, many clubs have since closed, many were in pubs and with the time difference around the world, it wasn't feasible for many to keep going, as the opening hours dictated whether games were shown LIVE, or recorded
Besides, why get out of your house on a cold, dark, wet, windy, morning at 'stupit o' clock, when you can stay at home and watch it in the comfort of your living room ?
The eyes of the world are on the US tonight
Fingers crossed for you mate
HH

See both BBs & Lubos points

It would be a big step up for Celtic imho to suddenly be transplanted into the championship , one of the most cut-throat divisions in the world .
Would take some time for us to adjust to the higher standard of opposition we play every game, not a long time but still time.

Playing St Mirren, Livingston then Kilmarnock in the space of 7 days for example , we expect to win all 3 away or not& see it as a failure if we don't.
Compare that to us away to 3 away games in 7 days at Norwich, Burnley and Watford, tougher obviously.

Yet, being who we are we'd expect to win all three but these teams want to beat us badly and have better players at their disposal than the 3 Scottish clubs , so it would be tougher, of course it would.

Tougher doesnt mean we couldnt do it though of course we could and the truth is that the top 3 -6 Championship clubs are on the same level as the bottom 3- 5 clubs in the EPL, currently Southampton, Wolves and Forest.

On our game we are capable of beating any side in Europe, I firmly believe that but we need things to click on the day for that to happen, everyone must be on it 9f were to beat man city but we shocked them enough without winning .

I hear often of how ours and rangers support would make a huge difference ( and it would) only clubs like Liverpool, Newcastle can come close to us for passion and unwavering support for our team , but they can only, come close they cannot match us in that department.
Look at Sheffield Wednesday , Sunderland, Birmingham, Villa, Leeds, Middlesbrough these are clubs who play regularly at home in front of 30,000 or more fans and would not have half a stadium to give our supporters a seat like the SPL clubs must to earn cash, their fans would want to see this game.

The biggest difference to me is how our clubs are run, our club especially.
Bellshill Bhoy is correct imo that it would take time for us to adjust to playing against a higher standard of opposition, of course it would that's a no brainer.
Some of these clubs squads whilst not neccesarily better than ours cost significantly more than ours and are used to playing regularly against quality opponents.
At the same time Lubo is correct when stating that we are already a better team, with a better squad than " at least 3 EPL clubs " , personally I'd add more to that number.
I look at Forest , McKenna might make our bench.
Of Southampton, Armstrong, Elyounnoussi, Aribo, Che Adam's, some might like Moi get a start for us though that I'm certain would be rotational much like James Forrest and Abada.
Wolves I believe are better than their current 19th and are suffering from poor management and they're adjusting to a new boss.
Bournemouth, are a better side than they're being given credit for, but even then, Christie would still not be guaranteed to be a starter now at Celtic.
Bournemouth having spent under Howe over £250 million should be a decent side and recently Forest won 1-0 at Anfield.
Youd expect a decent side for that amount of cash and wages.

As we go up the table we encounter clubs, smaller than Celtic but with more cash and experienced players contracted to them.
This is where the settling in period kicks in.
Where we have to adjust to playing against genuine top players , better teams, even for the mid- to - lower league clubs they have some phenomenal talent, Moussa Dembele from championship Fulham at the time a great example.
That's also for me a no brainer.

However , its home and away fixtures and not many of these clubs would come to Celtic Park and leave with anything, that's where 'they' must adjust from having to visit Man City, Man Utd, Spurs, Arsenal, liverpool and adding an even bigger stadium with hectic passionate Celtic Park with fans plus ibrox.

I'd see us flirting between mid table and the relegation zone that first season as we adjust.
Adjust though we would.
Even a championship Celtic and Rangers would bring in advertising revenue and players desperate to play for giant clubs, bigger than most EPL clubs, and obviously heading in one direction, up, though that alone , the support the revenue guarantees nothing.
Newcastle are the perfect example of this.
Still need a manager to pull the great talent together and make it work.

It's the infrastructure at each club that is the key.
Not many are geared to winning the EPL, some are geared for the top 4 or 6 some the mid table, some to survive, we'd have nothing of the sort , all out to win it each season.

Both clubs would get stronger so quickly it would be blink and youd miss it.

It's our structure that would keep us up in that first season and just maybe their arrogant pride and will to prove all wrong might keep them in .
Then comes season 2 and both clubs could now have the banks backing to spend £40 million on one or two players.
Banks knowing that even were we relegated wed be £90 million better off plus a parachute fee.

Having lost so much time to clubs like Man City , Utd, Chelsea etc I do think we would take a few seasons of consolidation, building, with Ange at the helm it would be like a kid in a candy store.

Very exciting to watch, like kevin Keegan's Newcastle but more matured and can defend better.

The first clubs to suffer from our arrival would be from the likes of , Crystal Palace , Bournemouth, Forest Southampton, Fulham, Brentford and the bigger clubs who I believe would welcome the challenge of the 2 Glasgow clubs into the EPL would be the true big clubs.
Big clubs by however they got there, be it by merit or arabs, petrocash etc.

These clubs I'd say , the obvious Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd, Liverpool, Spurs ,plus West Ham & Everton ( should it happen right now, Everton are catching up and building a new stadium ), they will re- emerge as the big club they are , clubs like leeds , villa , Newcastle I think would also benefit from our presence.

Playing for Celtic or Rangers in the EPL would peak the interest of the best players in the world no doubts.
Celtic would have a stadium that rivalled Wembly or bettered it, something that would make Man Utd and city have to react by increasing capacity or falling in line behind man utd and Celtic capacity wise.

Long winded aye ( wid ye expect by noo ye should know better 😛).
I've always believed theres 2 separate but equally important reasons why they'll accept the Welsh but not us.
The first is what I've just banged on about for a long round the houses explanation, our huge potential for expansion , both of us, huge worldwide supporters numbers through scots/irish ex-pats in Australia, Canada, New Zealand, USA, Asia just call it worldwide for both.
Championship ,first,second even conference clubs wont be happy to see their chances of success being hampered by two super clubs just rolling up and saying " excuse me but you're in my seat get out " that's your Burnley, Blackburn, Norwich, West Brom, Sheffield clubs, Watford, Charlton etc etc etc .
Like asking kilmarnock, Dundee United and Aberdeen to be happy that feyenoord , ajax and Brugge are joining the SPL, they wont accept it , not without compensation for potential loss of promotion potential relegation, loss Of earnings.

The second is the sectarian rivalry that rangers are intent on keeping going for hundereds of years now , its having a detrimental effect on both clubs this ancient sectarianism and yes they are the major culprits in this.
We celebrate our roots they hate ours and harp back to hundereds of years ago.
The English fans know very little of this, it scares them and their boards and the FA , cant see Chelsea, millwall and many other clubs fans happy with " these fn Irish bassas" , which I'm sure btw Celtic fans would drop much of it , historical founding apart, if only rangers fans would let it go.
Rangers fans wont let it go, they cant let it go " duh!! nae suwweduh tae wi die ya bass" the FA want none of this .

Rangers only have Celtic to cling to for their part in their fantasy as no one else cares or knows what they're on about.
Younger Celtic fans take the bait and stray from our true calling, which isnt about bloody sunday and many other atrocities ( though very much connected) but about brother Walfrids original vision of 135 years to the day just the other day where the message is as strong as ever
" a football club will be formed to help.... ( the poor and needy) children " .

For both these reasons I cant see it, I could see a UK cup , scrap all league cups and see how it goes but until then , yes our best bet is with being part of the 36 champions league clubs every season at all costs and/or possibly an Atlantic premier league, championship, league 1 and 2 . That does include relegation and promotion.
CELTIC, RANGERS , HEARTS, HIBS , ABERDEEN ,AJAX, PSV, FEYENOORD, UTRECHT, BRUGGE , ANDERLECHT ANTWERP, GENT, GENK, COPENHAGEN, BRONDBY , AARHAUS, GOTHENBURG, MALMO,STOCKHOLM , MOLDE , ROSENBORG, BODO/GLIMT, LEGIA WARSAW, LECH POZNAN , WISLA KRAKOW, SLAVIA&SPARTA PRAGUE, VIKTORIA PLZEN, STEAUA , RAPID&DINAMO BUCHAREST , CLUJ, LUDOGORETS, LEVSKI SOFIA, CSKA SOFIA,DINAMO ZAGREB, HAJDUK SPLIT, HJK HELSINKI, RED STAR BELGRADE , PARTIZAN BELGRADE,

Now this list , just for bs sakes includes top clubs from 12 different countries.
If there were as many countries involved it would be a certainty that others would also join like the Ukraine, Slovakia Greece and any country so inclined, who feels like they're not being treated fairly by UEFA .

It's looking like the bigger leagues/clubs are going to get their super league one way or another, just not how they envisioned it, I was sent an article by the faither in law about how Juve and Barca ( both clubs in serious need of serious cash ( by their standards )) are still pushing for their no relegation super league but have modified their vision so it includes only Europe's best supported clubs , therefore in the 2 Glasgow clubs out Salzburg 33,000 capacity etc

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back