What we're we all doing 16 and 40 years ago today?

BILLCOWIE1958

21st May 2003 I was in Plaza Banco d'Espana in Seville along with about 50000 others shouting abuse at Raman Bhardwaj on the Daily Record open top bus in over100° heat before heading off to the Olympic Stadium hanging off a trolley bus going across the Guadalquivir River and having great craic with some Porto supporters Never forget that night Got back to our hotel on the coast well after 1 am to a party in full swing which was still going strong as they began to serve breakfast Wonder what it might have been like if we'd won?

40 years ago tonight headed up to Parkhead to watch 10 men winning the league 4-2 against the HUNS after Johnny Doyle was sent for an early bath

No televised highlights No Corpy buses as they stopped them about 6pm and the weather was hardly Sevillesqe
Black Cabs if you could get one made a fortune that night

How derisory the Scottish football fan was treated back then
Come to think of it not much has changed in that respect

The month of May has thrown up some amazing results and victories for us as well as some hard to take defeats Winning the European Cup in 1967 and losing the final in 1970 losing 3-2 to the HUNS in 1973 Scottish Cup final

Also never forget the 1976 European Cup final Bayern Munich v St Etienne at Hampden Pubs opened until 2am George Square was a sea of Green and White when we went for the late night buses as that was St Etienne colours but I'd say the vast majority of the scarves and flags were worn or carried by Celtic fans Glasgow REALLY was Green and White that night

This was my first real FIESTA type atmosphere Certainly in Glasgow

3 days later Kenny Dalglish putting the ball through Ray Clemece' legs to secure a 2-1 victory v England at Hampden led to more partying in Glasgow that night This was the start of the LONG HOT SUMMER of 1976 and as a 17 year old 3 months shy of my 18th birthday I took every opportunity to enjoy as much of it as I could

Pubs were much more easy going in those days with no Doormen so as to speak and ID was rarely asked to be seen
This would have been around the time that the Scottish Licencing laws were becoming more Liberal and they started to quasi treat us as adults until May 1980 of course when World War 3 (with a drinks licence) erupted at Hampden after Celtic beat the HUNS in the Scottish Cup Final That stymied our ability to drink at games

Ah the Darling Buds of May right enough but they do say that nostalgia ain't what it used to be

HH?

Last edited:
2 nights in Seville for the game with no tickets but what a craic.slept on the riverbank wi a thousand other folk the first night and on top of aford galaxy on a li,lo the second night, fk me ,,I've still got a sore back but wouldn't have changed it for the world.

I have vivid memories of our coach driving through Seville after the match and seeing Celtic fans curled up fast asleep in doorways covered by tri colours Also guys coming on to our bus asking 'Is this bus going to Malaga? Is this bus going to Estoril? Is this bus going to Alicante?
I found it hard to envisage some of these guys making it the length of Argyle St the state some of them were in let alone half way across Europe ??

HH?

Last edited:
40 years ago :
Couldn't make the game - living down in Port Glasgow at the time ( Yes , I know , that's no excuse ! )

League decider - no TV coverage ( BBC showed live the Shinty Cup Final - I kid you not ! ) , no radio coverage - had to rely on updates from Tiger Tim on Radio Clyde .

16 Years ago :
Couldn't get time off work ( Headmaster was a Tim - so if he couldn't go none of us could ! )
Watched at home with family - all screaming at the dirty cheatin' b*strd Portuguese as they dived and rolled around and wasted time .
Always wondered - what happened to that Porto coach ?

Best wishes for Friday ,Bill !

HH

Too young to make the trip. Was at my grans watching it. Don't know if I'm mixing up days but I'm sure my wee brothers ended up in a scrap before kickoff. One on top of the other on the deck. The slightly older repeatedly headbutting the back back of of the younger s head. Gran was horrified and sent one upstairs till it calmed down.
I ended up injured as well. Larsson scored and I jumped in the air. I had a guitar whammy bar on the carpet (L shaped metal bar) twisted up and went into my foot.
Pain and joy that I can only guess that bdsm mob are used to hahaha.
I was gutted after full time.
It was so different to the guys that returned from being there. All of them were upset by the result but the whole experience of being there with all the fans and the journey and memories seemed to overshadow the defeat. They all had this foggy twinkle, a spark in the eye and a warmth. Like talking about the arrival of a first child.

Some might not have sobered up ?

21st May 2003 I was in Plaza Banco d'Espana in Seville along with about 50000 others shouting abuse at Raman Bhardwaj on the Daily Record open top bus in over100° heat before heading off to the Olympic Stadium hanging off a trolley bus going across the Guadalquivir River and having great craic with some Porto supporters Never forget that night Got back to our hotel on the coast well after 1 am to a party in full swing which was still going strong as they began to serve breakfast Wonder what it might have been like if we'd won?

40 years ago tonight headed up to Parkhead to watch 10 men winning the league 4-2 against the HUNS after Johnny Doyle was sent for an early bath

No televised highlights No Corpy buses as they stopped them about 6pm and the weather was hardly Sevillesqe

The month of May has thrown up some amazing results and victories for us as well as some hard to take defeats Winning the European Cup in 1967 and losing the final in 1970 losing 3-2 to the HUNS in 1973 Scottish Cup final

Also never forget the 1976 European Cup final Bayern Munich v St Etienne at Hampden Pubs opened until 2am George Square was a sea of Green and White when we went for the late night buses as that was St Etienne colours but I'd say the vast majority of the scarves and flags were worn or carried by Celtic fans Glasgow REALLY was Green and White that night

3 days later Kenny Dalglish putting the ball through Ray Clemece' legs to secure a 2-1 victory v England at Hampden led to more partying in Glasgow that night This was the start of the LONG HOT SUMMER of 1976 and as a 17 year old 3 months shy of my 18th birthday I took every opportunity to enjoy as much of it as I could

Pubs were much more easy going in those days with no Doormen so as to speak and ID was rarely asked to be seen
This would have been around the time that the Scottish Licencing laws were becoming more Liberal and they started to quasi treat us as adults until May 1980 of course when World War 3 (with a drinks licence) erupted at Hampden after Celtic beat the HUNS in the Scottish Cup Final That stymied our ability to drink at games

Ah the Darling Buds of May right enough but they do say that nostalgia ain't what it used to be

HH?

Great post. Was at all three games. Football where would ŵe be without it.
HH

HH?
Absolutely brilliant ,great post Bill .Enjoyed reading it pal HH

Was in paradise for 10 men won the league, and was in seville for the final, had a better night 40 years ago if truth be told, but I have to say, being in a convoy of troops is always hard to beat, what a family when we're on our travels, lager, Guinness and whisky, the craic is great, can't ask for more?

The day after the Final my brother in law and I went down to the beach in Matalascanas where our hotel was located as we weren't flying out until after midnight

Anyway there were a few beach shack type cafes and restaurants divided only by low pickett fences
In the restaurant next to the one we were in was a large family of around I'd say 25 to 30 people from as it transpired Drumchapel who even at 11 am were showing definite signs of having partaken of alcohol
It appeared that they had ordered food and more alcohol but the kitchen and waiting staff seemed unable to keep up with their requirements

One fairly large matriarchal type in their group struggled to her feet and in her very best Spanish shouted to the waiter "Forgeto el foodo bring el drinko"!! to much mirth and merriment of her company as well as other diners in the surrounding snack bars and restaurants

Not to be outdone a character at the next table to them decided to impress his female companion with his own grasp of the Spanish language and asked the waiter for "Dos Coco Colos por favor" ???

HH?

Last edited:

HH?
Wis at the very same bit he tried ta record fur the telly aw the young team wur jumping on top of his balldy heed HUD Tay gee up after 8 attempts

Back