What's Happened to the Wantaways?

Brimcbhoy

So it's the off Season. We are The CHAMPIONS once again and rightly so.
The main criteria Ange seems to want from his signings is they have to WANT to play for this famous auld Club.
Last year seen the departures of the likes of Christie, Ajer and French Eddy oh and the Muthaf...er. What has happened to them since?
Safe to say they've hardly set the heather on fire, must be counting their money.

So it's the off Season. We are The CHAMPIONS once again and rightly so.
The main criteria Ange seems to want from his signings is they have to WANT to play for this famous auld Club.
Last year seen the departures of the likes of Christie, Ajer and French Eddy oh and the Muthaf...er. What has happened to them since?
Safe to say they've hardly set the heather on fire, must be counting their money.
A wee bit harsh - Christie played a big part in Bournemouth winning promotion to the English Premiership and Ajer was a big part in Brentford's excellent EPL performance this season. He missed a few games due to injury but returned to finish the season strongly and is already being touted for a move to a bigger club.

Eddy started very well and then his performances fell off a cliff and is being written off as a flop.

A wee bit harsh - Christie played a big part in Bournemouth winning promotion to the English Premiership and Ajer was a big part in Brentford's excellent EPL performance this season. He missed a few games due to injury but returned to finish the season strongly and is already being touted for a move to a bigger club.

Eddy started very well and then his performances fell off a cliff and is being written off as a flop.
So 2 have been bang average and 2 have totally flopped. Not the same as being a Champion and looking forward to the Champions league next season. 😉

Aye, sorry I have no sympathy for any player, who thinks the grass is greener & the clubs are bigger down soufth.

The SPL maybe not be a highly ranked league, but a good chance of medals & silverware, also European football every season, but many footballers will have few medals added too they're collection playing for mid-table clubs in a lge that is financially doped.

I hardly think Bournemouth, Brentford, Crystal Palace & Swansea City are gonnie set the grass on fire, in the foreseeable. Its not about collecting medals it's all about how much 💷💷💷💷💷💷

Aye , was gony say similar. Ajer and Christie have been successful eddys form tailed off after a good start, wasnt a regular starter

Aye, sorry I have no sympathy for any player, who thinks the grass is greener & the clubs are bigger down soufth.

The SPL maybe not be a highly ranked league, but a good chance of medals & silverware, also European football every season, but many footballers will have few medals added too they're collection playing for mid-table clubs in a lge that is financially doped.

I hardly think Bournemouth, Brentford, Crystal Palace & Swansea City are gonnie set the grass on fire, in the foreseeable. Its not about collecting medals it's all about how much 💷💷💷💷💷💷
Sorry but have to disagree TT.
That old argument about trophies and European football with us, and the lure of much bigger wages is old hat now, no matter how true it remains.
Weather we like it or not the EPL is by far the strongest and biggest marketing league in the world and a huge worldwide audience also, so no wonder the huge sums of money involved.
No league can compete with that structure that is in place with only a few elite clubs within Europe able to compete against the money rich EPL.
Once our younger so called players, win these trophies and experience the European nights at CP, the motivation seems to wear away very quickly still, as in career term's they still haven't reached there full potential yet.
We might be able to offer 10 massive games next season, for a EPL player 38 games are massive as every point can be so vital over the course of the season.
Personally like to see our players do well within that league as long as they have given great service to ourselves, and we will always be the ones to hold the tag of starting there career off to be able to reach that level in many ways as such.
Ajer comes as no surprise to myself that he has made a good impact within the EPL, especially with the 3CB option becoming more popular nowadays as a great fit into such a system, regardless if he still remains fairly poor in the aireal duel imo, so wish him well in the future.
Christy i believe could have been a huge player under Ange still, yet how lenny was using him was ridiculous and potentially harmful towards his career, so no wonder he made his mind up and wanted out, will be interesting to see how he fairs next season but seems to have shrugged off wanting to be the glory boy now.
Jury still out on eddy, after 2 piss poor seasons now, and the last with a stinking attitude towards our cause also. However he's starting to realise that once being the very big fish in a small pond, to becoming a small fish in a very big pond isn't as simple as he may have thought. A wealth man now, but has he any desire to remove the flop tag he has gained himself? Will wait and see, but good for us if he can imo.
Ntcham became a player I really became to dislike and hope he gains fuck all success within the remainder of his career still.
Will always be an ongoing problem with players wanting to leave us for the bigger leagues, but success stories will still want players to come to start the big time with us imo, yet hun scum still haven't been able to make such a claim, no matter how hard the silly bastards try to still with nobody biting still, that remains true flops in my book anyway

Last edited:
Sorry but have to disagree TT.
That old argument about trophies and European football with us, and the lure of much bigger wages is old hat now, no matter how true it remains.
Weather we like it or not the EPL is by far the strongest and biggest marketing league in the world and a huge worldwide audience also, so no wonder the huge sums of money involved.
No league can compete with that structure that is in place with only a few elite clubs within Europe able to compete against the money rich EPL.
Once our younger so called players, win these trophies and experience the European nights at CP, the motivation seems to wear away very quickly still, as in career term's they still haven't reached there full potential yet.
We might be able to offer 10 massive games next season, for a EPL player 38 games are massive as every point can be so vital over the course of the season.
Personally like to see our players do well within that league as long as they have given great service to ourselves, and we will always be the ones to hold the tag of starting there career off to be able to reach that level in many ways as such.
Ajer comes as no surprise to myself that he has made a good impact within the EPL, especially with the 3CB option becoming more popular nowadays as a great fit into such a system, regardless if he still remains fairly poor in the aireal duel imo, so wish him well in the future.
Christy i believe could have been a huge player under Ange still, yet how lenny was using him was ridiculous and potentially harmful towards his career, so no wonder he made his mind up and wanted out, will be interesting to see how he fairs next season but seems to have shrugged off wanting to be the glory boy now.
Jury still out on eddy, after 2 piss poor seasons now, and the last with a stinking attitude towards our cause also. However he's starting to realise that once being the very big fish in a small pond, to becoming a small fish in a very big pond isn't as simple as he may have thought. A wealth man now, but has he any desire to remove the flop tag he has gained himself? Will wait and see, but good for us if he can imo.
Ntcham became a player I really became to dislike and hope he gains fuck all success within the remainder of his career still.
Will always be an ongoing problem with players wanting to leave us for the bigger leagues, but success stories will still want players to come to start the big time with us imo, yet hun scum still haven't been able to make such a claim, no matter how hard the silly bastards try to still with nobody biting still, that remains true flops in my book anyway
Canny disagree with any of that.
I would say though that for eddy, I think that hes suffering from a football culture shock at palace.
Hes gone from PSG to Celtic and the French u21s ( all attack minded sides surrounded by quality who fed him with the right ammo ) to a defensive palace.
Something hes experiencing for the first time.
Christie has been clever and has shone in the championship where Bournemouth could play the attacking game.
Next season is his acid test , if Bournemouth can keep him.
Ajer was always going to be a success for any side he signed for and is probably the one I reckon will move onto a bigger club first of those 3.
Ntcham? I'd like to see him at lennys Cypriot club since lenny was his biggest fan.
Of course we cannot offer the riches of the big 5 league's nor much of Portugal, Hollands and Turkey's bigger clubs either.
The Scottish league though is underatted imo.
2 clubs now back in the champions league, 1 automatically and the other with 2 play offs.
English clubs can say we're a farmers league but farmers league's dont have 2 champions league spots , they just dont.
I'm not expecting us to light up the next champions league but simply being in it definitely has its advantages to bringing in quality players as opposed to the 'possibility ' of being in it.
TheRangers have done well to help the coefficient but help it is what theyve done as I believe it is a 5 season count back so our exploits in Europe against Lazio, Leipzig, Man city even etc cannot be discounted.
Our first priority has to be ( a huge challenge) get through the groups.
More realistically is that 3rd place drop into the Europa league where we can hurt sides now that we should be far better prepared.
It'll be interesting to see how theRangers cope with the early days play offs and especially when they arent in the champions route . Very tough. For all nations clubs the non champions route. HH

The wantaway players were replaced by wantoplay players and things only got better and I think the best is still to come. Those who didn't want to play for Celtic and essentially stopped playing for Celtic will never be held in the same regard as those who gave their all until the very end like Tam and Nir.

I have to say that any interest in Christie, Eddy, et al just hasn't on my radar since last year. Gone and forgotten as far as I'm concerned.

We are building a team of players who are gagging to pull on the hooped shirt and win silverware at home and abroad. We should see the best of the Japanese bhoys this season after their break and hopefully some clever additions in among them.

The past is another country so I'm happy to leave the wantaways counting their money instead of medals.

The wantaway players were replaced by wantoplay players and things only got better and I think the best is still to come. Those who didn't want to play for Celtic and essentially stopped playing for Celtic will never be held in the same regard as those who gave their all until the very end like Tam and Nir.
True , they'll be remembered as a part of the 9iar , quadreble invincibles like lustig.
I mean honestly did anyone see Ajer and Christie coming back and having the impact they did for us? I didnt.
Rodgers knew what he was doing there.
Quite astonishing his effect on players even broony can be included with those two such was the level he lifted us to domestically and even led a relatively poor Celtic into the champions league albeit by the skin of our teeth and Craig Gordon's heroics in beer sheeva

I have to say that any interest in Christie, Eddy, et al just hasn't on my radar since last year. Gone and forgotten as far as I'm concerned.

We are building a team of players who are gagging to pull on the hooped shirt and win silverware at home and abroad. We should see the best of the Japanese bhoys this season after their break and hopefully some clever additions in among them.

The past is another country so I'm happy to leave the wantaways counting their money instead of medals.
So am I happy to let them count their dosh .
Gone for me but never can I honestly say forgotten.
Eddys hunskelkping supreme, ntcham in Rome, Ajer becoming outstanding CB after a season at killie and his celebrations at vital.tackles and blocks and of course Christie bursting into life at murrayfield, great great times I'll never want to forget but like you shammy I wont lose any sleep over any of them they were all big time contributors at crucial times.
Good luck to them i say may they be successful and show once again what playing for Celtic can do for a player in the right frame of mind and with the correct application HH

True , they'll be remembered as a part of the 9iar , quadreble invincibles like lustig.
I mean honestly did anyone see Ajer and Christie coming back and having the impact they did for us? I didnt.
Rodgers knew what he was doing there.
Quite astonishing his effect on players even broony can be included with those two such was the level he lifted us to domestically and even led a relatively poor Celtic into the champions league albeit by the skin of our teeth and Craig Gordon's heroics in beer sheeva
Rogers had a modern, professional approach to coaching and development which required a backroom team of subject matter experts. Unfortunately Rodgers had no real emotional investment in the club and saw his position merely as a stepping stone to greater financial reward.
The Rodgers operation left as a unit and was replaced with the pathetic Ginger Whinger. Devoid of direction and leadership players stagnated or regressed.
We have a proper, professional manager now who is assembling his backroom team and perhaps sees the Celtic Manager role as an honour, privilege and the opportunity of a lifetime to cement his place in history.

So am I happy to let them count their dosh .
Gone for me but never can I honestly say forgotten.
Eddys hunskelkping supreme, ntcham in Rome, Ajer becoming outstanding CB after a season at killie and his celebrations at vital.tackles and blocks and of course Christie bursting into life at murrayfield, great great times I'll never want to forget but like you shammy I wont lose any sleep over any of them they were all big time contributors at crucial times.
Good luck to them i say may they be successful and show once again what playing for Celtic can do for a player in the right frame of mind and with the correct application HH
There's a common factor in the decline in performance and/or commitment of all of those players. But they are all gone now and you are right to focus on the good times.

Rogers had a modern, professional approach to coaching and development which required a backroom team of subject matter experts. Unfortunately Rodgers had no real emotional investment in the club and saw his position merely as a stepping stone to greater financial reward.
The Rodgers operation left as a unit and was replaced with the pathetic Ginger Whinger. Devoid of direction and leadership players stagnated or regressed.
We have a proper, professional manager now who is assembling his backroom team and perhaps sees the Celtic Manager role as an honour, privilege and the opportunity of a lifetime to cement his place in history.
Agreed mhate but bhoy oh bhoy what a time it was to be a a Celtic supporter and superb to have another pedigree manager now 😎🍀

There's a common factor in the decline in performance and/or commitment of all of those players. But they are all gone now and you are right to focus on the good times.
Aye definitely and I always try to focus on the positives .
Dont like negativity as I believe it breeds negativity.
That said I would struggle to agree with lenny ( as much success as he brought us as player and manager) , 0-0 @ Tony Macaronis and " thought we were fantastic" etc could never buy that and I stood up for him until it just wasnt possible to do so anymore without looking and sounding like a fool. 🤐

Talking about that night away to beer sheeva makes me remember Roy Keane and his slaughtering of Celtic and our players and supporters celebrations on the pitch after a torrid night of finger chewing " I mean NO , NO,NO,NO , this is Celtic we're talking about and two time finalists, to celebrate a defeat like that even though it takes them through , I actually feel quite embarrassed " haha Roy Keane never hauds back does he 😂 and he was right but that Celtic side did well all the same to qualify given the players we had Saidy Janko etc 🙈

Back