What's Stopping Celtic Winning The Treble This Season?

Tino

Celtic’s recent historic ‘Quadruple Treble' is an outlier in World Football.

Success of that nature is incredibly hard to come by, and the history of Celtic (and of football) tells us this.

Despite dominating Scottish Football in large spells, Celtic have won just 7 trebles in 135 years (a joint world record!)

4 of which were in the last 5 years.

It’s not a foregone conclusion that Ange Postecoglou’s side are going to just coast their way to treble number 8.

Far from it.

But what (or who?) is going to stop them from doing so?

Injuries? Complacency? The Opposition? VAR?

What do Ange's Celtic need to do between now and the end of the season to create their own piece of history?

To stand alone in the record books with an unprecedented 8th treble!?

(This is the main subject of our latest episode of The Celtic Exchange Weekly. We've covered what we think would be the main obstacles in achieving a treble. Do you agree? Are there others? Cheers, Tino.)

Ourselves imho, outwith the obvious VAR "misinterpretation" of rules, only the Celtic players can stop themselves from winning the league and Cups, albeit an off day can cost you a cup tie, the introduction of VAR in Cup ties will ensure that any close games are decided off the pitch. A massive reversal of form for whatever reason is in my mind the only way we would lose the league, fortunately though we have a manager who wont stand for the slackness and the running down of contracts by huffy players. I've a feeling that the ones wanting a move in the summer might just disappear from our squad long before then as Ange continues to look forward and not just live in the moment.

Complacency would be the standard traditional response for a side so dominant in any country and we a favourites for achieving this treble again.

The way Ange runs his ship I find that possibility unrealistic.

VAR will play its part in trying to derail our efforts along with the mibs.
That shouldnt stop us either.

In one off cup games the opposition in Scotland is often underatted.
Many Scottish clubs have players returning from a successful world cup as well and they will get the same boost from that as Celtic will.

We know that any top flight Scottish side can trouble for anyone on their day.
So we can never believe that because of our talent we need only turn up,
the quality of the opposition is too good for that , we only supplied a third of the SPFLs 12 world cup players.
So the standard is higher than outsiders might think and a treble in Scotland is an incredible achievement.

Our quality and depth in it sees us as rightful favourites but it's only been done so few times for a reason, many great Celtic sides didnt deliver a treble.

The league, I believe that though weve only played 15 games it's going to be really difficult to catch us now if we continue to play as we have in those 15 games so far.

The one off cup games are different, a combination of Complacency or mistakes , VAR and the mibs and an on form opposition can all combine to stop us from winning a one off match.
The world cup has been showing lots of this recently.

Should that happen then we are talking about not getting the rub of the green and it's that and the one off games that pose the greatest threat to any solitary record treble.

We have the quality , were expected to do it, we have to stick with the mantra of " we never stop" that's been so successful for a treble to stand a chance.

Weve been blessed with them in recent times but historically they are rare occurrences.
To do another one will be spectacular

We've won nothing yet so talk of trebles is far too premature for me.
One game at a time always the best format.
As soon as you start to think too far ahead it has a habit of bringing you back down to earth with a bang.
My thoughts are on the all important 3 points to be fought for on Saturday I can't really look beyond that.

We've won nothing yet so talk of trebles is far too premature for me.
One game at a time always the best format.
As soon as you start to think too far ahead it has a habit of bringing you back down to earth with a bang.
My thoughts are on the all important 3 points to be fought for on Saturday I can't really look beyond that.

What's the chances of the games being cancelled??

Ourselves imho, outwith the obvious VAR "misinterpretation" of rules, only the Celtic players can stop themselves from winning the league and Cups, albeit an off day can cost you a cup tie, the introduction of VAR in Cup ties will ensure that any close games are decided off the pitch. A massive reversal of form for whatever reason is in my mind the only way we would lose the league, fortunately though we have a manager who wont stand for the slackness and the running down of contracts by huffy players. I've a feeling that the ones wanting a move in the summer might just disappear from our squad long before then as Ange continues to look forward and not just live in the moment.
Spot on
Complacency is the enemy
I can’t even see VAR stopping us
Ange had us overcoming all obstacles rather than complaining about them

We're in a good place without doubt; but it's only a launchpad for the battles ahead. Next game is all that matters.
Will we be able to continue where we left off ? Can we realistically expect such consistency over the coming months?

I actually expect sevco to improve. I also feel the break came at the right time for us as we, at times, looked leggy in a few games before it.

As we approach the halfway mark it's still all to play for. Let's stick to the tried and trusted mantra of one game at a time.
Commitment and belief are the qualities which can see us through. Complacency is the enemy.

I never go into any season thinking we will win a treble. It really is a very difficult thing to achieve and when it comes down to winning 9 cup games in a row then this is seriously hard. OK we were recently spoiled as we went on an incredible wolrd record run winning 30 odd cup games in a row, but that will never happen again.

When it comes to one-off cup games then there are so many factors involved: cup draws meaning away games against tricky in-form opponents who play out of their skin, injuries, loss of form of our players, bad weather, bad luck and yes, honest mistakes.

Of course I want a treble and know we are good enough, but we will have to work very hard for it and must not be complacent. Even then, we will need some luck at key times in some important games.

Weather looks reasonable for Saturday all be it I think there's been snow and ice up there.
Bridie will probably know better but looks on at this stage unless there is a change to the forecast.
I'd say it was 50/50 at the moment. We keep getting a dump of snow every day. The problem is the temperature gets up to just above 0°Celtius so it thaws slightly and then the wet slush freezes overnight. The ice is getting compacted and polished then more snow on top.

The roads are carnage up here just now and most schools closed (in Aberdeenshire anyway). The problem is the cash-strapped councils aren't geared up for these snow days which only usually happen for a few days each year at most. The weather warning continues to Sunday.

The good thing is Pittodrie is near the North Sea so the salt air makes snow less of a problem there. The game may well be on as the pitch should be playable but it will be Baltic and not great playing conditions. And not much fun for fans (even locals) trying to get to the match either.

The league is the bread and butter which is rewarded by the opportunity to compete in the Champions League. The cups while nice to win are the cream on top. Play as we all know that we can there is not a team in Scotland that can touch us however a simple mistake in the cup can end up quite costly. HH

The hand ball by Sands that went unpunished has shown that the 5 week break we have had for the world cup has changed nothing. The Celtic board, LRA or SPL board have done fuck all.
Any idea that there would be extra training to get rid of the "teething problems" was blown out the water in the 1st game.

Members online

Latest posts

Back