Who/What influenced you to support Celtic?

Imatim

For me it was a family tradition. My Dad, Mum, uncles, aunts.......they all supported the Bhoys. What about you?

For me it was a family tradition. My Dad, Mum, uncles, aunts.......they all supported the Bhoys. What about you?
I was brought up in Easterhouse in the early 60s
By the time I was 7 or 8 Celtic had embarked on their 9 in a row campaign and had already won the European Cup and had been cheated out of the World Championship trophy

Easterhouse is only a couple of miles from Parkhead and as we played football in the fields we could hear the distant roars when a goal was scored at Celtic Park

My father was from Aberdeen so didn't get overly involved with Celtic but my paternal grandfather was a TIM so in him I had a figurehead to look up to

I'd say among the kids I played with there would have been a 50/50 split
Celtic /Rangers but I don't remember any trouble or arguments between us
There were Protestant kids who supported Celtic but no Catholic kids supporting Rangers

HH?

Jock Stein he took Celtic up to Fraserburgh to play a testimonial for the life boat disaster two weeks before the 1970 European cup final . Fraserburgh invited Alot of teams who all said no . The Celtic board weren't too happy as it was so close to the final .jocks words peoples lives are more important than football . Met jock and the players and fell in love with Celtic. I caddied for Tom Callaghan and my brother caddied for Jim Craig the rest is history .

My dad worked on the shipyards and saturday was overtime... I remember him coming home, getting changed and then we were rushing out the door to get a corpy bus (no 46).One game I recall he took me & 3 brothers as my mum was working!! So the answer is family. His uncle played for Celtic in the 30s.. however I only found that out when I was in my twenties.
Thanks Dad.

It could have been so different for me. My dad comes from a staunch protestant family. My granda (who I love with all my heart) loves his royal family and used to be a hun, i say used to as i have no memory of him taking an interest in football apparently he stopped supporting long before i was born..Him and my dad didn't get on when he was younger so my dad became a Celtic fan to rebel I think. My mum's family are all Catholics and Celtic fans. So luckily I was born into a Celtic house.

I was about 4 when my oldest brother gave me a scrap book.for anyone who doesn't know what that is its just a big folder with blank pages and you just stick news paper cuttings in and write or draw.the scrap book he gave me was already full of lots of story's and pictures of the great Glasgow celtic.the must have been 1967 great year but being only 4 I didn't realise what was going on.coming from a family of 14 in the 60s you didn't have a lot of toys but that old scrap book ment a lot.so hers to my brother noel cheers you created a celtic monster.

I was born in Baird Rows Blantyre across the road behind the washouse was the home of Blantyre Celtic Craighead Park my Dad was the caretaker and maw washed the kit,the line was filled with green and white so from birth it was Celtic we moved in the fiftys but kept in touch with the team and saw them play when We could,also lucky enough to have seen Jinky play before he moved back to Parkhead .

Its a family thing, my great grandparents came over from Ireland in 1880's when Celtic were founded and I'm proud to be part of the Celtic story.

Think I was about 2 growing up in Southampton after the family had relocated from Belfast. Woke up and found that my uncle Noel had put something in my crib .. it was a Celtic scarf ...still don’t know why but thank the lord daily that he did !!!!

My family arrived from Dublin and my father signed for celtic in 40s think being celtic fan is in ur DNA from age of 5 was able to sing celtic song /Boys from Old Brigade/Soldiers Song travelled on supporters bus from Partick or 64 bus my uncles take me out of school to attend cup games during week as no floodlights then can't thank my family enough HH

Celtic runs in our family.
First remember seeing Celtic at firpark mid sixties.
Vividly remember seeing jinky.
Sticks in my memory.

My Dads family was a big irish family in Gorbals. My Grandpa was at every home game as were his sons and son in laws, nephews even the Women were regular attenders. My Mums family were also big on celtic and hardly ever was there a family do without Celtic being mentioned.

I had 50 first cousins and 49 were celtic fans. For the last 50 years there were at least 20 of my family at each home game. In the 60s we used to go to the Reserve games, so we were going every Saturday.

I never made a choice. Celtic was my team

Family tradition, just like many others on here.

The thing is, Celtic led me to nearly everything else in my life that matters to me. My politics come from being a Celtic fan; I might still be a lefty and a trade unionist, but growing up in Glasgow as part of a community which was traditionally marginalised, ostracised, kept down gave me a real emotional connection with the underdogs in every walk of life.

Seeing that we didn't strong-arm our way to success, or bully people to get a foothold on the rungs of the social ladder, was also inspirational. Our people went completely the other way. We organised ourselves. We joined unions. We put a high premium on education. We got smart, we got connected, we used our strong arms to pull up those around us.

Actually, a screen-writer, William Monahan, put it better than I ever could, in his movie The Departed when he wrote "Twenty years after an Irishman couldn't get a f@@@ing job, we had the Presidency ... no-one gives it to you. You have to take it."

We've always had balls. We've always been smarter than the neanderthal knuckle draggers. You know why? Cause they believed all that "we are the Peepul" shite. They believed the world owed them something. We know you have to fight for every inch, and we're good at it.

That all came from being a Celtic fan, and the pride I get from where we are as a club and where we are as a support is enormous. We really are running the table now, the top table,

Back