Your first ever Celtic match

BILLCOWIE1958

Would be interesting to find out everyone's 1st Celtic match be it at Parkhead or elsewhere

My 1st game was as an 8 year old and v Elgin City in Scottish Cup at Parkhead in February 1967 which turned out to be a pretty good year and not only for Celtic but for Scottish football as a whole

Celtic beat Elgin City 7-0 and John Hughes was the player on the cover of the match programme

I vividly remember myself and my Granda catching a 64 bus from Argyle St I had no idea where he was taking me We sat in the stand and Bobby Lennox scored a Hat trick
I think that was the only time I ever sat in the stand at the old stadium

The Jungle was always my position of choice when I got old enough to go to matches unsupervised

HH?

Last edited:
My first recollection of a Celtic game was a game at Hampden , a Scottish Cup semi against St Mirren in the late 50's . My dad took me along , probably 'lifted me over ' at the turnstile , as was the practice in those days . Sadly , as so often in those days , we lost and I remember a lot of very lean years after that until the 1965 cup win against Dunfermline at Hampden , which I watched from the , then , Schoolboy's Enclosure .

1985, at home to Inverness Thistle (highland league back then) in a 6-0 Scottish cup 4th round win.

If I remember correctly Ryan Christie’s Dad played his last game for Thistle that day and then signed for Celtic

This was the 100th Scottish Cup and we beat Dundee Utd 2-1 in the final which was my first ever cup final ?

First ever Game was 1974 celtic against Dundee. Celtics first ever Sunday game(league) we got beat 2-1. For years l thought l had watched Motherwell beat us 9yrs old and was transfixed by the jungle.
We were seated in the 'New stand and watched the crowd more than the game. ?

9th October 1968
Celtic 1 Clyde 0, League Cup Semi Final at Hampden. George Connelly scored, Harry Hood played for Clyde. Remember being disappointed because Jimmy Johnstone wasn't playing.

Celtic 5 St Mirren 0, 1966/7.
My dad lifted me over the turnstiles while he paid his 7/6 to get in. Not only was I watching most of the guys who became the Lisbon Lions, but years later, I discovered that a young Archie Gemmill had been playing for the Buddies.

My first ever game was a 4-0 defeat to Liverpool at parkhead in the Hillsborough charity match.

Peter Grant testimonial. Celtic 1- 2 Bayern.
I was 9. I was a Celtic fan but only cos my dad was. I enjoyed football but more watching my dad sing and be happy as he watched Celtic. My real passion for Celtic was born at that game. The noise, colour and songs. Everyone was mates and chatted and sang together and it blew my mind. It was amazing.

Celtic 3 Cologne 0 Sept 1992. 2-0 down from the first leg McStay, Creaney and Collins put us through. I was with my older brother in the "Celtic end" my dad had his season ticket in the main stand. I was only 11 so had to sit on a crush barrier to see. For all 3 goals I must've been thrown 20 feet forward. Scary but brilliant

I would have attended games before this but the first I have a decent recollection of was a disappointing 0 - 0 draw against Vejle in 1973.
Things I vaguely remember was that the crowd was grumpy and Davie Hay may have nailed someone.

1974 Scottish Cup Final at Hampden. Beat Dundee United 3 - 0. My uncle got tickets and took me for my birthday. Was beside myself with excitement.

First game celtic v raith rovers 1958 CP pouring rain all in jungle with my father soaked through but never really felt rain when young can still remember on supporters bus from Partick everybody singing Sean South and watching crowd around gates going in

First game celtic v raith rovers 1958 CP pouring rain all in jungle with my father soaked through but never really felt rain when young can still remember on supporters bus from Partick everybody singing Sean South and watching crowd around gates going in
Changed days As you say when you are a kid everything seems wonderful and new despite the surroundings and the weather

HH?

January '88, Scottish cup 3rd round v Stranraer Never forget going thro turnstile n climbing the stairs n standing at top looking over a huge green rectangle of paradise! Macca scored pen in 5mins Stranraer missed pen in second half. Crap game but what a buzz!!! Was back for next round v Hibs 0-0, then 1-0win in replay, Billy Stark scored I think

Early 80s v Dundee utd at Parkhead I'm sure we won, can remember the auld robin reliant being there behind the goals

Members online

Latest posts

Back