3 or 4 defenders away to Copenhagen?

If they brought in" was the player trying to seek an unfair advantage" it would do away with the forensic analysis of in particular, those offside decisions,that one against Wolves,when part of his heel was offside and Pukki, when his hair was offside? he's phuqin baldy!!!!! mutter, mutter, nae wonder ah drink! stand by for some diabolicals on thursday!
I like that as a cpompromise, mind you they already have clear and obvious and instead drill down to minutiae. No surprise when the refs wanted it and big business supllies for it. I'll join you for the booze option for Thursday I think. Poncey real ale of course none of that fizzy pish:)

Back 4 of El Hamed, Julien, Ajer and Hayes looks the most likely scenario as Taylor looks a major doubt, Boli's out in the cold and I doubt Lenny will risk going with a back 3 away from home in a European tie.

On the subject of Ajer......I've been saying this since BR put him there I don't think the bhoy is a CB he's a DCM who's being crowbarred into a position that's not suited to his skill set. This was a flawed BR experiment borne out of necessity and the fact Lenny still has to continue with it is a damning indictment of our ongoing failure to properly address our longstanding CB issues.

I'm not saying Ajer is an awful CB, he's not, he's been decent enough considering it's not his natural position but like others have pointed out above he has some major flaws as a CB which have only been highlighted even more since we've started playing 3 at the back and I'm sorry but 'decent enough' isn't an acceptable approach for a club like Celtic. It should go without saying but what we need is proper CB's playing at CB and proper CM's playing in CM.

Add to the fact that there have been times (like yesterday against the sheep and in both Sevco games for example) where we've been crying out for a more commanding figure with height and physicality in central midfield yet we're having to play the guy who has all of that at CB. It's a nonsense for a club our size.

Get the bhoy back playing in his natural position and sign a proper CB.

Anno. All my pals down south hate it with a passion. Actually harming the game as a spectical.

Trouble is Steviebhoy we have a dilemma up here, we can either put up with Sevvie loving refs and their 'honest mistakes' for the rest of our days or bring in the tech to curb their influence! Personally I'd rather have VAR (with all it's flaws) which offers a fair and level playing field rather than continue to allow that lot to undermine the integrity of our game.

HH (y)

Back 4 of El Hamed, Julien, Ajer and Hayes looks the most likely scenario as Taylor looks a major doubt, Boli's out in the cold and I doubt Lenny will risk going with a back 3 away from home in a European tie.

On the subject of Ajer......I've been saying this since BR put him there I don't think the bhoy is a CB he's a DCM who's being crowbarred into a position that's not suited to his skill set. This was a flawed BR experiment borne out of necessity and the fact Lenny still has to continue with it is a damning indictment of our ongoing failure to properly address our longstanding CB issues.

I'm not saying Ajer is an awful CB, he's not, he's been decent enough considering it's not his natural position but like others have pointed out above he has some major flaws as a CB which have only been highlighted even more since we've started playing 3 at the back and I'm sorry but 'decent enough' isn't an acceptable approach for a club like Celtic. It should go without saying but what we need is proper CB's playing at CB and proper CM's playing in CM.

Add to the fact that there have been times (like yesterday against the sheep and in both Sevco games for example) where we've been crying out for a more commanding figure with height and physicality in central midfield yet we're having to play the guy who has all of that at CB. It's a nonsense for a club our size.

Get the bhoy back playing in his natural position and sign a proper CB.
The signing of Soro looks like he's earmarked to be the new number 6 but there is no harm whatsoever in trying Ajer out in midfield. Watching Brown grab the game by the scruff of the neck and try and push everyone for the win made me realise we are so damn close the seeing the retiral of our driving force. Having a defensive mid who can has the height and experience to also drop into defence as and when we change formations during games has real merit in experimenting with at least. If we're going to trial it let's do it soon.

My thought was Lenny has been playing him there as we usually have a left footer in boli,JH or GT playing as lwb so all he should need to do is push a player wide and block crosses with his left or if they cut inside use his better foot to put in a better challenge. Problem is if the back three are narrow and the lwb is further up it gives wingers a chance to run straight at him with space each side. He doesn't like it. Jules is our nailed on guy to start in the middle and it's the same issue if he is played on the right (struggles with players cutting inside onto his weaker foot)....rock and a hard place for him. Posted before a few times as well about a lcb missing from the squad. The amount of games we could of done with having that option both tactically and as cover is a worry.

Last edited:
The signing of Soro looks like he's earmarked to be the new number 6 but there is no harm whatsoever in trying Ajer out in midfield. Watching Brown grab the game by the scruff of the neck and try and push everyone for the win made me realise we are so damn close the seeing the retiral of our driving force. Having a defensive mid who can has the height and experience to also drop into defence as and when we change formations during games has real merit in experimenting with at least. If we're going to trial it let's do it soon.
Is Ajers passing up to that? I know he played in that position till he came to us. Probably a question for Celtic by numbers. I have doubts he has the close control and touch to hold down a regular first team slot as a cm/dm for us

My thought was Lenny has been playing him there as we have usually have a left footer in boli,JH or GT playing as lwb so all he should need to do is push a player wide and block crosses with his left or if they cut inside use his better foot to put in a better challenge. Problem is if the back three are narrow and the lwb is further up it gives wingers a chance to run straight at him with space each side. He doesn't like it. Jules is our nailed on guy to start in the middle and it's the same issue if he is played on the right (struggles with players cutting inside onto his weaker foot)....rock and a hard place for him. Posted before a few times as well about a lcb missing from the squad. The amount of games we could of done with having that option both tactically and as cover is a worry.
That's it BBb,he's a bit exposed in a back 3 when played on the left,the quandary is, the Norway manager plays him there as well, but for someone playing CB at the age of 21, it's obvious he has improvement in him HH

Is Ajers passing up to that? I know he played in that position till he came to us. Probably a question for Celtic by numbers. I have doubts he has the close control and touch to hold down a regular first team slot as a cm/dm for us
I think any stats would have to be with him playing in the position over 5 or 6 games then compare and contrast with a similar player.
I'd also have reservations but it's an interesting thought. He does drive well from defence into midfield and he shields the ball well when he does it. He'd also bring a real physical presence to protect our ball players.
Maybe Deila is the man to answer that. When he signed him where did he see him playing. We never really got the chance to find out

No doubt (from what I've seen on youtube) Soro looks like he can mix it a bit in CM but he still lacks the height and physicality I'm talking about. There are games (like yesterday's) where there's a need to fight fire with fire, using 2 combative CM's (Broony/Ajer pairing) to nullify an opposition who rely on using their height and physicality to try and bully us out the game. I'm not really talking about Ajer replacing Broony here, I'm talking about Ajer giving Broony the physical back up and height advantage CalMac can't. Not even a need for CalMac dropping out in games like this either, he can be pushed further forward, where I personally think, he plays his best football.

Agree 100% with you on Broony. Can't emphasise enough how much we're going to miss him when he finally hangs up his boots Niall, the guy has been phenomenal both as a player and as a captain. It will be tough enough finding a replacement who can play that particular role as good as Broony but it will be damn near impossible to find one who is as good a leader. Ajer's no Broony and I doubt he'll ever be able to replicate that particular role Broony has performed over the years but we should now be priming him to take on that combative role in central midfield. Ajer will be a different type of player from Broony but he has all the attributes to be a top midfield enforcer.

Remember we're not trying Ajer out in there, it's not an experiment, the bhoy IS a Centre Mid! The experiment was making him a CB!

HH Niall šŸ€

Broony's not exactly known for his close control and deft touch but we still rate him as a top CM.

It's not about that, it's about adding steel to the midfield when we need to, adding that height and physicality when we're up against opposition who use those same qualities to try and bully us out the game. We can look a bit soft in the more physical games (yesterday and the last 2 Sevco games were a prime example of that) sometimes you need to fight fire with fire and Ajer's got all the attributes to be a combative Centre Mid who can face down those type of tactics.

Leave the close control and passing to the likes of CalMac, Ntcham, Rogic etc.

Back three/five - Ajer,Jullien, Jozo (convinced he was rested v Dons for Thursday), Bauer and Hayes as wing-backs. Broon, Calmac, Sam Jackson, Jamesy across mid. Eddy lone striker.

Doubt Pingpong, Hat Attack fit enough to consider. Boli on bench with Rogic, Christie, Griff,Solo

Scoring draw would be fine.

As Lenny said on Sunday Bobo,,about Ayer,, at times he thinks he,s Beckenbauer,,,so why not let him keep thinking that,, but keep him where he is..

HH.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Back