5 subs?

Simplististic answer! What did I expect. 5 subs is a major tactic changer. Players train to last 100 minutes with no gas left in the tank. That could radically change. What if you aimed to fully empty the tank after 50 minutes. Presumably that would mean 3 replaceable midfield dynamos. We have plenty of them. That leaves 2 for injuries or tactical reasons.

Simplististic answer! What did I expect. 5 subs is a major tactic changer. Players train to last 100 minutes with no gas left in the tank. That could radically change. What if you aimed to fully empty the tank after 50 minutes. Presumably that would mean 3 replaceable midfield dynamos. We have plenty of them. That leaves 2 for injuries or tactical reasons.
Making as many changes as that alters the dynamic of the team. We see that with friendlies. It's an option, but It would be used mostly in games already won to give players game time and others a rest.

Making as many changes as that alters the dynamic of the team. We see that with friendlies. It's an option, but It would be used mostly in games already won to give players game time and others a rest.
Should only have it if games are in extra time in cups, five subs is half an outfield team you could change a whole defence and sit in when defending a 1 0 or 0 0. Or can allow a whole midfield to be stffled full game by replacing the entire 5 system when legs go, Boring rule will suit lazy clubs.

5 subs in theory should suit the stronger teams with bigger squads.

Can you make subs at 5 different times during games? my understanding is that its still only 3 times although you can have more than one sub at a time.

I've a feeling it suits Celtic, but I can also see other teams using it to break up play and running down the clock etc, but that happens when your chasing the game regardless.

Any news on the multi ball system being implemented in our league this season? If not we are going to have teams bringing in ball boys/Girls early when they are leading.

Simplististic answer! What did I expect.
Well, for someone whose sole purpose in life seems to be showing off his imagined vast mental superiority to everyone in this group on this forum, you asked a pretty moronic question. Using the two extra substitutions would vastly depend on the situation in each game, and unless you have some special insight in seeing into the future for each game (and wait, don't tell me -- you do), your question is pretty much unanswerable.
Players train to last 100 minutes with no gas left in the tank. That could radically change. What if you aimed to fully empty the tank after 50 minutes. Presumably that would mean 3 replaceable midfield dynamos. We have plenty of them. That leaves 2 for injuries or tactical reasons.
Nice hypothetical, but the fact of the matter is that it doesn't change things as radically as you might think. All it does is provide more options. What those options might be depends on the situation on the pitch at the time of each game. Overthinking it is not going to change anything, and if anything is probably a distraction. Give it a rest.

5 subs in theory should suit the stronger teams with bigger squads.

Can you make subs at 5 different times during games? my understanding is that its still only 3 times although you can have more than one sub at a time.

I've a feeling it suits Celtic, but I can also see other teams using it to break up play and running down the clock etc, but that happens when your chasing the game regardless.

Any news on the multi ball system being implemented in our league this season? If not we are going to have teams bringing in ball boys/Girls early when they are leading.
Think the subs have to be spaced out over intervals so not willy nillyas far as i undertand it so 3 when you want then timed for next two.

Gonnae be so many pros and cons to this. Some already been pointed out above.

Right now if all 3 subs have been used and a player picks up an injury then that player either has to play on injured or go off and leave the team a man down this could put an end to that. It would also allow teams to change their entire system if they find their original tactics can't cope with how the opposition have set up.

So no team left at an unfair disadvantage for the latter stages of a match if injuries occur and teams being given a chance to completely alter their set-up which could make games more competitive.

On the flip side this is Scottish fitbaw and something which worries me about this is that it could encourage teams to start putting the boot in more often. Right now opposition teams already use persistent fouling as a tactic against teams like Celtic but it's restrained to a degree because they would rather not risk yellow cards that could force them into wasting subs on guys getting to close to a red but with this 5 sub rule persistent fouling could get out of control.....

'Right go out there and take it in turns tae kick lumps oot him to disrupt their play. When the ref eventually gives 1 of ye a yellow and ye might be close to getting a red we'll take you aff before ye get sent aff and send somebody else on to pick up fae were ye left aff. Don't worry we have extra subs for tactical changes or if somebody picks up an injury!'

Thatโ˜is a real possibility given we have a more talented squad than the rest and many of these teams being loaded with hammer throwers.

Celtic players don't get enough protection on the pitch as it is just now, usually it takes 4 or 5 fouls on a Celtic player before an opposition player sees a yellow so the opposition having extra subs could just encourage even more persistent fouling.

How much of that could our bhoys take before injuries started taking their toll?

Last edited:
Well, for someone whose sole purpose in life seems to be showing off his imagined vast mental superiority to everyone in this group on this forum, you asked a pretty moronic question. Using the two extra substitutions would vastly depend on the situation in each game, and unless you have some special insight in seeing into the future for each game (and wait, don't tell me -- you do), your question is pretty much unanswerable.

Nice hypothetical, but the fact of the matter is that it doesn't change things as radically as you might think. All it does is provide more options. What those options might be depends on the situation on the pitch at the time of each game. Overthinking it is not going to change anything, and if anything is probably a distraction. Give it a rest.
Wow what an inferiority complex you have. Take a chill pill pal!
"If we do go to 5 subs for the league that changes tactical options. Any thoughts on the best way to use this change?" That was my question. The first sentence contains two statements of fact. I then invite considered responses. Nothing moronic in that! You seem to be in the 'So what you're saying is.... camp'.

Every time there is a rule change then teams adapt to those changes. I've pointed out some possible positive change and others have looked at the unintended consequence of encouraging foul play. Failure to even consider the novel implications of such a rule change is unprofessional.

I posted about this a couple of months ago when it was first announced. I hope it means we can introduce some of the fantastic youngsters we have once we have victory assured.

Although this is only a temporary law amendment I'd be shocked if it is rescinded as once the bigger teams use it to there advantage.

Similarly I wouldn't be surprised if the 23rd minute drinks breaks don't evolve into proper telly advert breaks by tv companies (meaning a hybrid of 4 quarters/2 halves) as they maximise advertising revenue.

Last edited:
Back