A Cock and Turnbull Story

Men fighting him caused him to top himself. Not some woo woo creature sitting dishing out justice. 70 million people died. Again, what kept this sexy Karma waiting 12 years before sorting the cunt out? People did. Real, living breathing shooting fighting brave people. If they hadn’t we would be writing in German right now. If we were here at all.

And my Grandad was in the first landing parties of the newly formed sas in that war.

My family did more than their bit. ??

Call it what ever way you like, write full articles like the Celtic star today, nothing incorrect, but it forgets to summarize that once again, Celtic have failed to land a player they clearly wanted and made look less in the media for no credible reasoning except negative ones.
Wrap it up how ever makes you feel best, the reality is somebody at the club did not do their homework to required standard on this deal.
To generally forget any players in Scotland because of the obvious should have been the obvious move before now, even more obvious now after the extremely naïve presumably PL approved decision to tweet private business, petty unprofessional tweets which will have been noticed by all agents and potential players by default there.

So what is karma? If it’s the people? You’re confusing me. I thought you thought it was a being sitting in judgement. A force?

Karma is comeuppance, paid by any means available.

Or are you just being pedantic? ?

So what is the alternative?

Do you suggest bankrolling wages that can't be justified by current revenue streams?

Only two clubs in Scotland pay wages comparable to even lower half of the English Championship clubs. You're living in dreamland if you think that Celtic will ever be in the market for the quality of player we were looking at during the MON era. That ship has long since set sail and until there is a structural change throughout Europe, then Celtic just can't compete with the wages currently on offer at approximately 30-35 clubs in England.

We have to face the simple and undeniable fact, that if we don't invest in, cultivate and nurture our own talent, then we just become a subsidiser of other Scottish clubs and an easy pay-day for players only motivated by money.

Football has changed/is changing/will change further. The responsibility of the club's financial department, is to ensure that the infrastructure and facilities are in place when the next evolution in football occurs.

If we chase moonbeams and unicorns, then that infrastructure will rot and decay and any prospects for the future rot and decay with it.

You cut your cloth accordingly and on the balance of probability, not possibility.

Pragmatism is the only way to survive in this financial environment, as mentioned previously - if Celtic ever have to depend on paying over-the-top wages on untried, untested and unproven talent from the Scottish provincial clubs, then the ball is all but burst anyway!

Excellent post SP.

Well executed ??

Call it what ever way you like, write full articles like the Celtic star today, nothing incorrect, but it forgets to summarize that once again, Celtic have failed to land a player they clearly wanted and made look less in the media for no credible reasoning except negative ones.
Wrap it up how ever makes you feel best, the reality is somebody at the club did not do their homework to required standard on this deal.
To generally forget any players in Scotland because of the obvious should have been the obvious move before now, even more obvious now after the extremely naïve presumably PL approved decision to tweet private business, petty unprofessional tweets which will have been noticed by all agents and potential players by default there.
Club did do there homework , they offered more than double the fee Motherwell wanted , the value on him was £1.42 m , we offerd £3m

for a player who's had 6 good months of football

When the great Barnsley didn't come in for him he went silent as did his agent

We were used as bait to get him a deal in england , no matter how much we offered i don't believe he would have come to us

Motherwell fired off the first tweet and seeing as they conducted this saga from the start through the media ,Celtic were right to get in first when the deal started to go tits up

it's controling the narrative , the Record who were going with the story had to then fall into line with what we tweeted , it stopped there biscuit tin headlines

He wasn't worth 3m ,he wasn't worth 20k a week and i'm glad we didn't sign him ,,,,, thats my opinion

Those men delivered karma then? You have your opinion, i have mine ?
To be fair, Jim, when we're all at work or bartering with our significant others - we all know there and then, in that moment if it's a runner or a non-starter.

Both clubs conducted their negotiations swiftly, so at the point they've sat down with the boy and his reps, they would have known within 10 minutes if this was going to work out or not.

PL knows he's a fish in a barrel, so I reckon he made a call on the Twitter angle to get in a shot across the bows. I happen to think it was the wrong play, but I kinda get why he done it.

I've just told the missus that I'm away for a pint......it's a non-starter, Jim and I know that by the way she's swinging that baseball bat.

Feck it.........I'm away to Norwich

Who cares about Turnbull, I certainly don't. We were used just as we have been used before Ginola anyone. Remember our name and standing in the game is such that players agents know how to play us. Agent says to player I'll get you three times the money you want by attaching you're name to Celtic. Celtic might be interested if price right, but I'll get you move to E P L. That's how it works and Celtic were right in this occasion to pull the plug. The player had no intention of signing for us. Anyway what message does that give to our own young prospects. HH. ☘️??

Who cares about Turnbull, I certainly don't. We were used just as we have been used before Ginola anyone. Remember our name and standing in the game is such that players agents know how to play us. Agent says to player I'll get you three times the money you want by attaching you're name to Celtic. Celtic might be interested if price right, but I'll get you move to E P L. That's how it works and Celtic were right in this occasion to pull the plug. The player had no intention of signing for us. Anyway what message does that give to our own young prospects. HH. ☘️??

It would cause serious hag and unsettle some of our players.

Even my lovely Captain isn’t guaranteed to play every game, like everyone else on the pitch he has to EARN the right to play.

Haha and a kid from motherwell thinks he’s special to get a guarantee given to no-one else.... arrogance. Too much of that is never good

We were used as bait to get him a deal in england , no matter how much we offered i don't believe he would have come to us

Motherwell fired off the first tweet and seeing as they conducted this saga from the start through the media ,Celtic were right to get in first when the deal started to go tits up

it's controling the narrative , the Record who were going with the story had to then fall into line with what we tweeted , it stopped there biscuit tin headlines

He wasn't worth 3m ,he wasn't worth 20k a week and i'm glad we didn't sign him ,,,,, thats my opinion
I'm not being negative or being smart after event. but neither am I just happy to just assume all will be just great, too many windows have passed now that were not good.

Called the move for Turnbull a week before we'd go for him, guessed so based on him not being mentioned on the supposed leak!
Also stated that while he is a good player he is not essential to what we have already, we need a proven defensive midfielder and a spare project if Kouassi is no use.

I posted the very day of the Motherwell tweet! that we were being played from word go of the Motherwell tweet! that was and should have been obvious to anyone at Celtic.
That Celtic responded to their tweets even if as likely it was to appease fans with McGinn fiasco in mind
was naïve, like someone responding to some poor down and out in the streets ranting. You might pity them, but the last thing you do is get in a conversation and encourage them, its a no win.
Controlling the narrative! the day that Celtic conclude they need to control the narrative because of the likes of the record, no sense in that.
So no homework was not done properly.

Even if controlling the narrative was the naïve aim, then hopefully for Celtic fans sakes someone at Celtic had best realize and quickly that actions speak all, not excuses or petty tweets.

To sign some decent proven players in quick time, is all we ask all Lenny needs, the minimum we can reasonably expect of someone in charge of Celtic, who is after all on similar/more pay to that of his Liverpool and Everton equivalent and a lot more than many other highest paid directors of the EPL, you know the league we supposedly can't compete with. strange that one stand out anomaly.
Turnbull is not the real issue here.

I can only hope that the club delivers players needed for the position and of above average quality, because as has been on previous seasons the Celtic transfer policies are chaotic wherever fault or blame lies, we have a support that craves 24/7 information which is not always helpful as conjecture, gossip and every ones favourite I have a source close to this blur the facts, but as 8 in a row treble treble winners can we not conduct a successful transfer without the drama.

I can only hope that the club delivers players needed for the position and of above average quality, because as has been on previous seasons the Celtic transfer policies are chaotic wherever fault or blame lies, we have a support that craves 24/7 information which is not always helpful as conjecture, gossip and every ones favourite I have a source close to this blur the facts, but as 8 in a row treble treble winners can we not conduct a successful transfer without the drama.

Celtic enquired and Motherwell allowed Celtic to make an offer and talk, club wanted ex amount and these terms would mean ex amount for player in wages. deal was a good one, player and agent renaged, Celtic move on no more to say and no increase, not at Celtics evaluation, good luck with another team who gives him what they want to give him, his deal is not based on what he has achieved it is based on what is assumed he might achieve or bring, so as it stands he is a punt and he may or may not make it, thats why he remains a punt up here.
Yesterdays news.

I wouldn't mind someone like James McCarthy coming in. A tried and tested quality player who we all know would play for the badge. For me, he's very much in the mould of the thinking behind WGS' signings of the likes Hartley, Robson et al in terms of being hardly spectacular but the kind of hard-working, heart-on-sleeve experienced player that we could use this season.

I wouldn't mind someone like James McCarthy coming in. A tried and tested quality player who we all know would play for the badge. For me, he's very much in the mould of the thinking behind WGS' signings of the likes Hartley, Robson et al in terms of being hardly spectacular but the kind of hard-working, heart-on-sleeve experienced player that we could use this season.
I remember WGS bringing up Paul Telfer, talk about being underwhelmed by that signing!

He was a solid 7+ in every game he played. Not much in the way of thrills, but steady and reliable.

With what's at stake over potentially the next two seasons, it's those cool heads we're going to need to get us over the line.

Great shout about Hartley and Robson, Sam.......the year of the comeback, they two played Broony out of the team and were instrumental in that run of successive wins. Again, nothing world-beating, but grit and determination won that title and they both had plenty of that.

So what is the alternative?

Do you suggest bankrolling wages that can't be justified by current revenue streams?

Only two clubs in Scotland pay wages comparable to even lower half of the English Championship clubs. You're living in dreamland if you think that Celtic will ever be in the market for the quality of player we were looking at during the MON era. That ship has long since set sail and until there is a structural change throughout Europe, then Celtic just can't compete with the wages currently on offer at approximately 30-35 clubs in England.

We have to face the simple and undeniable fact, that if we don't invest in, cultivate and nurture our own talent, then we just become a subsidiser of other Scottish clubs and an easy pay-day for players only motivated by money.

Football has changed/is changing/will change further. The responsibility of the club's financial department, is to ensure that the infrastructure and facilities are in place when the next evolution in football occurs.

If we chase moonbeams and unicorns, then that infrastructure will rot and decay and any prospects for the future rot and decay with it.

You cut your cloth accordingly and on the balance of probability, not possibility.

Pragmatism is the only way to survive in this financial environment, as mentioned previously - if Celtic ever have to depend on paying over-the-top wages on untried, untested and unproven talent from the Scottish provincial clubs, then the ball is all but burst anyway!

At no stage have I said that we should spend our way into oblivion. Not even close to it. I participate in these forums because I live and breathe Celtic, presumably like everyone else on here. Why would I want to see my club implode in that manner?

It is equally as possible to sleepwalk your way into oblivion as it is to spend your way there. That’s an alternative, right there.

I don’t think it’s good enough to sit back and wait for the inevitable. If we do that, where we are now will seem like the glory days compared to what’s to come. There is always a better, smarter way to go about anything. I can't give a prescriptive answer as to what to do better because I would need access to far more in the way of information to be able to start to consider this fully, just as in the same way that you cannot tell me absolutely that maintaining our current course is the best available option.

At no stage have I said that we should spend our way into oblivion. Not even close to it. I participate in these forums because I live and breathe Celtic, presumably like everyone else on here. Why would I want to see my club implode in that manner?

It is equally as possible to sleepwalk your way into oblivion as it is to spend your way there. That’s an alternative, right there.

I don’t think it’s good enough to sit back and wait for the inevitable. If we do that, where we are now will seem like the glory days compared to what’s to come. There is always a better, smarter way to go about anything. I can't give a prescriptive answer as to what to do better because I would need access to far more in the way of information to be able to start to consider this fully, just as in the same way that you cannot tell me absolutely that maintaining our current course is the best available option.
The perfect example of what the potential outcome could be in the spend big, or die trying stakes happened only seven years ago?

So with all due respect, there's qualitative evidence of what the likely outcome could be.

So what is the worst case scenario if we are complacent? We don't win the league.....that's it, that's the worst case scenario!

Is there an actual debate here?

Members online

Latest posts

Back