A role for John Kennedy? What say you?

Robbyp

With all the talk at the moment about this potential new manager and that potential new manager it got me thinking about the role of assistant first team coach, John Kennedy, whom by all accounts is doing a pretty decent job at Celtic.

The first thing that struck me was that Brenden Rogers inherited him rather than brought him in, which is pretty unusual in the modern game. Usually a new coach arrives with his own number 2 (actually Ronnie Deila didn't either! Neither did Neil Lennon but at least he knew JK and perhaps asked for him before he arrived.). But it seems a fairly routine situation.

So what about John Kennedy's current situation, if Celtic appoint one of the big European names being touted. Where does that leave JK? It would seem to me that if, as it appears, Celtic are quite happy to have him there, but a new coach may have his own man, Kennedy would either be sacked or demoted to a lesser position. This seems a bit harsh for a man who has been pivotal throughout the (so far) 8 titles and umpteen cups.

So, what role for do you see for John Kennedy in the near future?

PS Apologies for the irrelevant thumbnail below. I don't know how it got there and I don't know how get rid of it.

Attachments

• 1554863438445.png
    1554863438445.png
    390.6 KB · Views: 8
This post more than most makes me think NFL will become the next Manager.
It would mean a neat and easy transition.
No Change everything just keeps rolling along.
Everyone is in place. It’s easy but is it right
I’m still to be convinced.
NFL is he selecting the Team or is JK still doing it.
Make a decision now Celtic.

HH ☘️

The speculation is draining and unsettling for everyone at the moment; team, coaches, fans, but particularly NL who has come in to steady the ship, and it must be rough and demotivating watching name after name being shoved in his face as potential replacements. In my opinion they need to make a decision before this weekend to settle everyone down and give the team, the coaches and the fans a better sense of stability. As Calum said yesterday, the next few weeks and months are really important in terms of qualifiers etc., people need to know now what direction we're going in. It feels like everyone else is watching and waiting for us to fall.

Sorry, my comment isn't really about John Kennedy :)

The speculation is draining and unsettling for everyone at the moment; team, coaches, fans, but particularly NL who has come in to steady the ship, and it must be rough and demotivating watching name after name being shoved in his face as potential replacements. In my opinion they need to make a decision before this weekend to settle everyone down and give the team, the coaches and the fans a better sense of stability. As Calum said yesterday, the next few weeks and months are really important in terms of qualifiers etc., people need to know now what direction we're going in. It feels like everyone else is watching and waiting for us to fall.

Sorry, my comment isn't really about John Kennedy :)
But spot on in what your saying. AG
Make a decision now then the fans can settle down and back the Team not just now but into the coming 9 and 10. Mon the Hoops

HH ☘️

All the speculation about NL's position is '' rough and demotivating '' for him . No !!

He wants the Celtic job so he knows it carries all sorts of pressures and criticisms from all quarters , especially from us , the fans !
This is a BIG job in the world of football - BR saw it as a stepping stone to a more more lucrative position , and so will many other established names in European football .

As for NL , he has to prove to us , the fans , that he is the right man for the job NOW and he will be acutely aware of this . He was and is Celtic through and through but so are all of the people on this site but I wouldn't trust them ( or me ) with the job .
He should be thrilled that he is getting another go at a job he walked away from ( for whatever reasons ) and must know that he is being judged on results , performances and a host of other criteria . He has been here before , he knows the pressures , he knows the expectations .
So , under these circumstances , I don't believe for a second that with the Celtic job on the line that NL is letting JK pick the team !
HH

All the speculation about NL's position is '' rough and demotivating '' for him . No !!

He wants the Celtic job so he knows it carries all sorts of pressures and criticisms from all quarters , especially from us , the fans !
This is a BIG job in the world of football - BR saw it as a stepping stone to a more more lucrative position , and so will many other established names in European football .

As for NL , he has to prove to us , the fans , that he is the right man for the job NOW and he will be acutely aware of this . He was and is Celtic through and through but so are all of the people on this site but I wouldn't trust them ( or me ) with the job .
He should be thrilled that he is getting another go at a job he walked away from ( for whatever reasons ) and must know that he is being judged on results , performances and a host of other criteria . He has been here before , he knows the pressures , he knows the expectations .
So , under these circumstances , I don't believe for a second that with the Celtic job on the line that NL is letting JK pick the team !
HH

Have to agree Millsy, it's not in his DNA, why not just leave it to JK and bother with hiring NFL in the first place. Has he been leaning on JK? He would be mad not to since he's been away for a while, but I can't see JK having the say over NFL on picking the team, makes no sense at all.

My view is that as a club we should appoint very strong manager with a European level track record. I have called for Benitez.
Let them deal with what will be some kind of circus as we push for the ten.
After that with two more years as assistant, the ten having been done, then honestly I would give JK the job when the next appointee leaves or God forbid fails.
He will then have seen several managers work at first hand, he seems to have that stature, so let's see how he does.
HH

With all the talk at the moment about this potential new manager and that potential new manager it got me thinking about the role of assistant first team coach, John Kennedy, whom by all accounts is doing a pretty decent job at Celtic.

The first thing that struck me was that Brenden Rogers inherited him rather than brought him in, which is pretty unusual in the modern game. Usually a new coach arrives with his own number 2 (actually Ronnie Deila didn't either! Neither did Neil Lennon but at least he knew JK and perhaps asked for him before he arrived.). But it seems a fairly routine situation.

So what about John Kennedy's current situation, if Celtic appoint one of the big European names being touted. Where does that leave JK? It would seem to me that if, as it appears, Celtic are quite happy to have him there, but a new coach may have his own man, Kennedy would either be sacked or demoted to a lesser position. This seems a bit harsh for a man who has been pivotal throughout the (so far) 8 titles and umpteen cups.

So, what role for do you see for John Kennedy in the near future?

PS Apologies for the irrelevant thumbnail below. I don't know how it got there and I don't know how get rid of it.

Either a Bacon Role or a Role and sausage

HH?

Lenny said at his presser when he came that he was here till the end of the season and then see what happens so I doubt anything will change at the moment.
They can’t give him the job just now and then god forbid the unthinkable happened then the board would be in a real pickle.
On another note I heard that Rogers recommended JK for director of football for before he left.

Back