Any book recommendations?

Niall J

looking for a wee bit of guidance. 2 weeks soaking up the Sun in Catalunja. I Intend to simply relax and read and let the stress fall off. Need to load the Kindle with Celtic books and football biographies and autobiographies of an kind.
Any you guys would recommend? Also any that were garbage and I should avoid?

Reactions: TET
I read the John Robertson bio, Supertramp, recently, tis a good read. The stories about Brian Clough are good.
I also read Archie McPhersons bio of Jock Stein. That's a good read too. There were bits about Lisbon that I had never read anywhere else, Big Jock ambushing the ref in the tunnel, at halftime, and calling him a " nazi bastard" among other things.
If ye want a laugh, A Decent Ride, by Irvine Welsh, about an Edinburgh taxi driver is bonkers, not many books make me laugh out loud, hilarious but a bit twisted and sick too.
I read Danny McGrains book years ago a remember that was decent too.
I have read good reviews of Peter Crouchs biography, supposed to be funny.
Rich

I read the John Robertson bio, Supertramp, recently, tis a good read. The stories about Brian Clough are good.
I also read Archie McPhersons bio of Jock Stein. That's a good read too. There were bits about Lisbon that I had never read anywhere else, Big Jock ambushing the ref in the tunnel, at halftime, and calling him a " nazi bastard" among other things.
If ye want a laugh, A Decent Ride, by Irvine Welsh, about an Edinburgh taxi driver is bonkers, not many books make me laugh out loud, hilarious but a bit twisted and sick too.
I read Danny McGrains book years ago a remember that was decent too.
I have read good reviews of Peter Crouchs biography, supposed to be funny.
Rich
Thanks Richy. I've read Archie's Stein book (his own autobiography is a good read too BTW). Thanks for the other recommendations too and for taking the time. Much appreciated. Don't want to waste time on rubbish!

2 weeks soaking up the Sun in Catalunja.

Jealous. Of course, if I were spending two weeks in Catalunya, I wouldn't be reading. Fomenting revolution and hitting the streets for independence with protesters, maybe. But that's me -- different strokes for different folks :D

Now that the season is over, I've asked the library to order Archie Macpherson's bio of Jock Stein, but while looking for other books about Celtic history (that is, history of the club, not Celtic history in general), I found a book called "Said Lizzie to Philip: How Celtic Gatecrashed the Coronation" about how Celtic won the Coronation Cup tournament in 1953. Looks interesting and something I'd put on my list of things to read.

Enjoy your trip, Niall!

looking for a wee bit of guidance. 2 weeks soaking up the Sun in Catalunja. I Intend to simply relax and read and let the stress fall off. Need to load the Kindle with Celtic books and football biographies and autobiographies of an kind.
Borstal boy or confessions of an Irish rebel, both by Behan, just in case there's a small chance you ain't read them NJ.

If you enjoy reading about football then apparently Steve Claridge's autobiography is a must-read. Don't know the name, Niall and I don't read sports books but I think he's been around a bit and has lots of anecdotes to relate.

Jealous. Of course, if I were spending two weeks in Catalunya, I wouldn't be reading. Fomenting revolution and hitting the streets for independence with protesters, maybe. But that's me -- different strokes for different folks :D

Now that the season is over, I've asked the library to order Archie Macpherson's bio of Jock Stein, but while looking for other books about Celtic history (that is, history of the club, not Celtic history in general), I found a book called "Said Lizzie to Philip: How Celtic Gatecrashed the Coronation" about how Celtic won the Coronation Cup tournament in 1953. Looks interesting and something I'd put on my list of things to read.

Enjoy your trip, Niall!

Just for you Larry...

The Celtic Coronation Cup Song

Said Lizzie to Phillip as they sat down to dine
I’ve just had a note from an old friend of mine
His name is big Geordie and he’s loyal and true
And his big broken nose is a light shade of blue

He says that the rangers are right on their game
And he asks for a trophy to add to their fame
We’ll make it a trophy the rangers can win
Said Philip to Lizzie watch the Celts don’t step in

Says Lizzie to Phillip they don’t stand a chance
I’ll send up the Arsenal to lead them a dance
With Celtic defeated the way will be clear
And a cup for the rangers in my crowning year

But alas to the hopes of those royalty blue
Celtic beat Arsenal and Manchester too
They beat Hibs in the final and Oh what a scene
Old Hampden was covered In banners of green

Said Lizzie to Phillip when she heard the news
A blow has been struck to my royalty blues
Please tell me dear Phillip for you ought to know
How to beat Glasgow Celtic and keep them below

Said Phillip to Lizzie there’s only one way
I’ve known the answer for many a day
To beat Glasgow Celtic you’ll have to deport
All the fighting mad Irish who give them support

Enjoy your trip, Niall!
Thanks Icafiero. Was married there 10 years ago and we return as a family this time to mark it. I have in the past deliberately avoided the politics there as I don't like to interfere. that said as soon as they find you are Scottish they feel they have found a kindred spirit so that's an invitation to engage, happy to share my opinion once invited. The Barca fans there have a lot of time for the Celts too. That helps!

Just for you Larry...

The Celtic Coronation Cup Song

Said Lizzie to Phillip as they sat down to dine
I’ve just had a note from an old friend of mine
His name is big Geordie and he’s loyal and true
And his big broken nose is a light shade of blue

He says that the rangers are right on their game
And he asks for a trophy to add to their fame
We’ll make it a trophy the rangers can win
Said Philip to Lizzie watch the Celts don’t step in

Says Lizzie to Phillip they don’t stand a chance
I’ll send up the Arsenal to lead them a dance
With Celtic defeated the way will be clear
And a cup for the rangers in my crowning year

But alas to the hopes of those royalty blue
Celtic beat Arsenal and Manchester too
They beat Hibs in the final and Oh what a scene
Old Hampden was covered In banners of green

Said Lizzie to Phillip when she heard the news
A blow has been struck to my royalty blues
Please tell me dear Phillip for you ought to know
How to beat Glasgow Celtic and keep them below

Said Phillip to Lizzie there’s only one way
I’ve known the answer for many a day
To beat Glasgow Celtic you’ll have to deport
All the fighting mad Irish who give them support

I've always took twisted pleasure in having Betty Windsors trophy in our cabinet, can you imagine the pleasure the zombies would take if they had won it?
By the way, although not a lot different, that song has loads of wee variations in the lyrics, it's like half a dozen people wrote it together and couldny agree, fell oot and stuck with there own version, brilliant song though, we should start singing it against that mob to push them over the edge???

an old one but try JIG not a footie book

If you're into fact based books Niall, there's a great one out there..... Harry Potter!:p

Members online

Latest posts

Back