Australia gets ready for the return of their Athenian Fenian πŸ€πŸ€πŸ€

But I always have a wee regret about missing out then was David Ginola. We paid for him to fly across to Glasgow where he was impressed and left us thinking he was going to sign for us. Instead he flew home via Newcastle where he told them he was going to get Β£15K/week from Celtic so they said they'd pay him Β£16K/week and he went onto become a Toon legend.
I vaguely mind that we were interested in him but dont remember much more than that gutted to hear that and that type of thing was happening to Celtic too often.
Judas , Ginola and others I canny mind aff the tap but we lost out like that a few times,
Rats / moles rodents all

I like the way some wrote, " thankfully Howe shat the bed" or something along those lines.

But to fair to the board, since 2000 we've had Lennon, o'oneil, Strachan, Deila, Rodgers and Ange. Even if we include Mowbray that's still 16 titles, Scottish cups, league cups and last 16 of the Champions league, twice!

So to give the board a wee pat on the back, when you went for Howe he was a good manager. But with Ange you got a great manager. Trust him, don't put the club in jeopardy but back him. Believe, it's part of the journey.

Hail hail
Howe was an ambitious move and one whom had we got him In the door we'd have been forever waking up to the next managerial vacancy in the EPL and him being favourite for it.
2 seasons I think we'd have done well to keep him for, 2 champions league assaults.
Howe seen Celtic as his ticket to a bigger job In EPL pre Newcastle option.
Ange seen Celtic as an opportunity to show his abilities whilst restoring a huge clubs European standing match made in paradise .
Howe we knocked it off getting Ange

If you do lennono I'd look forward to seeing the photos as I'm sure everyone on the noise would. Keep er lite lennono.
I have the proper gear.....bird photography is similar to sports photography....you need a good fast lens and a fast camera.......yep that wid be great ....getting photys at CP.....might even be better than bird photography ;) Jota scoring a beauty then runs towards the camera......I wouldn't miss a thing at 20 frames per second..... :)

I have the proper gear.....bird photography is similar to sports photography....you need a good fast lens and a fast camera.......yep that wid be great ....getting photys at CP.....might even be better than bird photography ;) Jota scoring a beauty then runs towards the camera......I wouldn't miss a thing at 20 frames per second..... :)
Got to love a ghuy who is professional when it comes to taking photies of birds.
I tried it once but got nicked for not asking her permission πŸŽ₯πŸ“½πŸ“Έ

Looking forward to some great lennono/noise gallery photos I hope it becomes a feature on the noise just like your fantastic pictures of the birds hopefully some of the noisers can post some of their favourite celtic pictures.

There’s no such thing as a foreigner in the Celtic family Larry
OK, maybe that was a bad choice of wording. And thank you for that. What I meant to say is that I'm not from there, which puts me at a disadvantage for not knowing the history and culture of Scottish football, but by the same token I have the advantage of having a different perspective because I'm from elsewhere, a place not bound by your history and culture.

It's interesting watching Howe, doing well though backed immensely , he may not have spent big EPL style but well over Β£100 million at Newcastle and over Β£250 million at Bournemouth, he'd have been backed here like no other before but not to that extent, either way we got the better option as we'd forever be bombarded with " x or y's clubs interest in our manager".

As a supporter I feel I can trust Ange to see his project out as long as he's got full support, we have him, I've never felt that since the days of Tommy Burns.

Your post ignites the grey matter , because , of course we've always known ( supporters especially) since the mid 80s of our games decline yet our media since then has often sneered at foreigners in leagues just as good or better but would have us believe we are better because we are Celtic or 'were' rangers and Hearts when they spent big etc.

As a lad following Celtic, always chasing Aberdeen and United then rangers and Hearts I didnt consider Irish players as foreign for obvious reasons and was also desperate for foreigners to do well,
The first ' name' , in the late 80s under ' super manager' Brady was English keeper Andrew's, a disaster.

First success for me was Paul Elliott, followed by Dariuz Dzeikanowski and Dwdowcyk the two Poles.
The beginning of change.
Some true disasters like Hayes, Biggins. Mowbray was a trier but not a winner, though still a good core of Scottish/irish players in the side like McLeod, Mcstay, Collins, Coyne at the time.

Reality was for me, regarding foreign players truly making a mark on our game, defying the " experts" was when Tommy Burns took over mid 90s , by now in my mid 20s known nothing but failure since the centenary really, 1 cup maybe, we began to bring in true quality players, big Pierre VH, hero, the header V Airdrie that changed us back into winners, and the type of player we bought ( mostly, there were still some nightmares to come under Dalgleish).
Tommy added Weighorst ( whom I seem to remember took time to settle), Cadete, Andreas Thom.
Then Annoni, Stubbs, Di Canio later.
He built the foundations upon which Wim finally stopped the cheating institution.

Our foreigners prevailed , enter Wim enter ghuys like Mahe, Rieper, Larsson, Brattbakk ( the bhoy who eventually come good haha) , Blinker too alongside Lambert, Phil O'Donnell, Boyd, Burley, " Darren Jackson" we had a team of winners.

We couldn't have done it without them.

Sorry , went a wee trip doon memory lane there πŸ˜‚ was your post that did it πŸ˜›
Long story short ( but too late) I love our
" who ", players that come here setting the heather on fire under the bums of these ....bums who think they know better.
All they know is nothing more, often less than we do, the UK domestic game.

Any other small European countries media would praise and celebrate the heavens out of a new club reaching a UEFA final, even if a fortuitous draw in a 2nd rank competition ( bad season later included) and another new manager with his new squads very decent first assault on the elite European scene.

We have the worst media going that tries its best to be like their English counterparts when theres no similarity in the football we see, not financially we cant just hire and fire the most expensive in the world but they never give us a break.

On a side tangent , I seem to mind a certain Jim Goodwin in the Celtic squad for some of those years TB and Wim were manager πŸ˜‚

Had some sweet, sweet times since but Pierres winner over Airdrie was a sea - change that we all believed after it , it was coming. HH
Takes me back Winter...I was working down in Ayr for 6 months at that time and watched the cup final against Airdrie in a mixed pub in the town centre ....pretty sure it was only mixed cause I was in it right enough... when big Pierre lept to score so the feck did I to the sound of my own cheers whilst the rest remained in quietly in their seats.
The work put me up in a wee B&B named Riedair which the owner told me was an anagram for Airdrie... his team !!
There's some useless info for you ...but thanks for the memory I had a great day.πŸ˜πŸ€

by the same token I have the advantage of having a different perspective because I'm from elsewhere, a place not bound by your history and culture.
Well said bhuddy, how much of the history and culture would so many of our players and supporters past and present have known as well? Very little , especially Japanese, Korean , Argetinian , Israeli etc .

To be a Celtic supporter, none of that is a requirement and never has been , not in my lifetime.

So many players/supporters/fans over the lifetime of mine that I've been one , how many times have we heard " I had no idea.....size of the club, the passion, and more.

All I look for in a Celtic supporter or Celtic fan is a mutual love of our Celtic football club for whatever reason that may be, respect for one another and our different backgrounds and mibbess keep the faith πŸ˜›
HH YNWA ☘

Last edited:
Takes me back Winter...I was working down in Ayr for 6 months at that time and watched the cup final against Airdrie in a mixed pub in the town centre ....pretty sure it was only mixed cause I was in it right enough... when big Pierre lept to score so the feck did I to the sound of my own cheers whilst the rest remained in quietly in their seats.
The work put me up in a wee B&B named Riedair which the owner told me was an anagram for Airdrie... his team !!
There's some useless info for you ...but thanks for the memory I had a great day.πŸ˜πŸ€
Haha πŸ‘πŸ‘ brilliant story Mag7 πŸ˜‚
And to think that big Pierre only had the one functioning leg that day and could only run very short distance before the pain became too much (;something I discovered long after that day) but he could jump and jump he did , took off like Kenny Miller except in a controlled fashion πŸ˜‚

Last edited:
Back