AZ Alkmaar v Celtic - Thursday 26 August, live on Premier Sports, kick-off 7.15pm - all comments here

At times tonight Shadow I agree with you and others I thought how good was that from back to front and of course some times it was asking for trouble ...but you are spot on ...its great having a philosophy on how the game should be played but you've got to be a fox against different philosophies and hopefully we see that going forward . But we are just getting started and i think I'm enjoying it 🤪

I love the new style we're playing mate it's the type of fitbaw that gets you up off yer seat and the blood pumping and I would love tae see the team play like that in every game but there are times {Europe mainly} when we are gonnae have to temper it a bit as the quality of opposition goes up a level...like you say be a bit of a fox about it and be smart enough to know when to change it up a bit so the opposition have to change their gameplan and don't get wise to ours. (y)

Ange ......"We lost our way a bit in the first half trying to recover from that and they got momentum. We started well, we scored the goal and started playing really brightly. But the two goals set us back. The second half we dug in when we had to. Joe was obviously disappointed with the first half mistake. But he made a couple of outstanding saves. Carl defended really strongly in the second half. Mistakes are a part of football, it’s the reaction to them that’s important"

Phew !!!
That was a long night
The last 5 minutes was the worst for me
You couldn't squeeze a razor blade between the cheeks of my arse (sorry about the visual there) but that's usually when we fall asleep at the back, as the ball comes into our box, and it almost did, right at the death

Still, we look forward and await the group stages, and we have a big game to win this weekend

HH

Ano D...in those last 5 mins I could've sworn that clock on the screen was going fucking backwards mate...job done though so we dust ourselves down then go again tae smash the huns on Sunday! 🍀👊

i think young Monty could have possibly played himself into 1st choice LB.
Reminded me of a certain KT when he took Izzaguire's position.
Aye he was really positive in a difficult environment but was right up for it definitely one for our starting XI soon. It was the usual Celtic nail biting, eyes disbelieving game tonight but over the two legs it would have been a travesty had AZ gone through. We were by far the most dangerous side at each side of the park, unfortunately at the same time and surely McKay must see the need now for another defender idt juranovic is enough. We are the biggest threat to ourselves again this season but we'll score now. Was Forrest injured tonight? Our bench looked lightweight for the season but brilliant Celtic for getting through against a far stronger AZ than is given credit for HH

Just back from watching game in the pub, blood pressure returning to normal rates. Now that we are through that was a great match for the team in their development in this new way of playing. There were errors, individually and systemically, but they dug in, kept trying to play and saw it out relatively comfortably in the second half. Mistakes happen, Joe Hart, Stephen Welsh and Carl Starfelt for the goals, but the reaction was superb. Hart had 2 tie saving saves, Welsh and Starfelt were superb defending the box when we were under pressure in the second half.
They done their homework, two men closing CalMac down even time he was in possession meaning Turnbull and Rogic weren't getting the ball to move forward and create chances. They also, taking the Hearts tactic, took turns to kick and foul Kurufashi on and off the ball.
Young Monty played really well when he came on, but MOTM for me by a mile was Tony Ralston. His pass to Abada set up the goal for Furuhashi, he was defensively sound, superb in the air and was cute enough to hit the deck any time one of them came into contact with him.
We have a long way to go but the signs are good.

Back