Bain or Gordon?

Gordon. For now. Brilliant for us in some huge CL matches; terrific shot-stopper and incredible mental strength.

Bain looks like he can handle the big-time tho.

That's one position we can relax about.

As other have mentioned, this is a really difficult one given how well big Gordon did in the last game against the Hundogs. He remains, in my opinion, a first class shot stopper. But no one would deny that his distribution is absolutely horseshit. It really often completely disrupts the rhythm of our play. Bain is, for me, much better on the ball and is accomplished at playing out from the back. I'm sitting on the fence with this one, but I will say with the big man now 36, it's clear now that we have found a genuine gem in Scott Bain and Gordon's long time successor. That save he made against Tommy Robinson FC was world class, doesn't matter who the opposition were - he saved what would have been 99% of the time a tap in and it's not as if the player fucked up.

My head says go with Bain - give him an extended run in the league, but my heart says stick with big Gordo for now and keep Bain for Scottish Cup and the odd league game.

When Big Gordon signed I knew we were getting a great keeper, it will soon be time for him tae step aside. But we're fighting still for 3 Trophys, Europa Cup, The Scottish Cup & The League, use BG in Europa & League. Bain for SC & some League games.he has already proved himself a few times, his Debut match against the hvns, his quintuple save yesterday against the wee hvns. Bain for the 9 & 10+ ☘️☘️HAIL HAIL☘️☘️

Last edited:
What a great video and a timely reminder of how good a keeper Gordon is and the No of saves that were crucial for the double treble. I was tending to go with Bain but after seeing that video and remembering what he has done for us I would now stick with Gordon for the league and Bain for the cups
You can put a video up about any player to make him look good. Are we forgetting his many balls ups, he cost us the game against Salzburg!

I get stuck on this one. I like Bain and he hasn't join done much wrong, but it's hard to gauge his footballing ability due to the fact that he's mainly played in matches where he hasn't been "pressed"

He's made some terrific stops and I wouldn't grudge him a run in the side, but until he's been put under the intensity of a high-pressing side, or in a high-stakes European tie, then we're never going to be entirely certain of what his footballing capabilities are.

He is still relatively young for a keeper and he has earned his right to fight for the jersey, I wouldn't lose any sleep if he was thrust into a big game, he proved his mental strength at the shitey last year.

I prefer my keepers to be focused on keeping the ball out of the net, there's a reason why the vast majority of keepers end up playing that position and it's mainly down to the fact that they aren't much cop with the ball at their feet.

Not many choose the position, the position chooses them based on size, physique, athleticism and an IQ in the low 70's.

I think the real question is, do we have to persistently play out from the back?

I get that we don't have too many obvious target men, but it's often the second ball that's more important when you knock a couple long.

Bottom line is that we have to start planning for the future, I believe CG has done enough to see out the season. Competition is there in the event of a meltdown, but I'd still rather have either or, than anyone else in the league.

Btw, playing hospital passes to your keeper isn't conducive to your keeper being comfortable with the ball.

I get stuck on this one. I like Bain and he hasn't join done much wrong, but it's hard to gauge his footballing ability due to the fact that he's mainly played in matches where he hasn't been "pressed"

He's made some terrific stops and I wouldn't grudge him a run in the side, but until he's been put under the intensity of a high-pressing side, or in a high-stakes European tie, then we're never going to be entirely certain of what his footballing capabilities are.

He is still relatively young for a keeper and he has earned his right to fight for the jersey, I wouldn't lose any sleep if he was thrust into a big game, he proved his mental strength at the shitey last year.

I prefer my keepers to be focused on keeping the ball out of the net, there's a reason why the vast majority of keepers end up playing that position and it's mainly down to the fact that they aren't much cop with the ball at their feet.

Not many choose the position, the position chooses them based on size, physique, athleticism and an IQ in the low 70's.

I think the real question is, do we have to persistently play out from the back?

I get that we don't have too many obvious target men, but it's often the second ball that's more important when you knock a couple long.

Bottom line is that we have to start planning for the future, I believe CG has done enough to see out the season. Competition is there in the event of a meltdown, but I'd still rather have either or, than anyone else in the league.

Btw, playing hospital passes to your keeper isn't conducive to your keeper being comfortable with the ball.
Wasn't Conor hazard signed as an out field player and was put in goal for a penalty, because the keeper got injured. He saved the penalty and thus cemented his place in goal. He was also a very good Gaelic footballer, which helps too.

Wasn't Conor hazard signed as an out field player and was put in goal for a penalty, because the keeper got injured. He saved the penalty and thus cemented his place in goal. He was also a very good Gaelic footballer, which helps too.
Hahaha.......I guess there are exceptions to most rules.

I was speaking from personal experience, TD.

Always seen myself as silky midfielder; unfortunately, my back-to-front feet and extremely low IQ meant that the only place I got a game was in goal.

What might have been if I didn't have the genetic make-up of Jim-Jim the dog-faced boy and the balletic grace of a three-legged elephant.

Bain. Gordon is regressing, his distribution is awful and his shot stopping not what it was. Has been a great player for us but like our other experienced pros, Brown and Lustig, his days are close to being numbered and shouldn’t be a guaranteed starter anymore.

Btw that wiz to our friend who went offki shammy.

Just in case you think its an open invitation to all. Its no lol

A goalie, SP, now that explains a lot. I always think keepers have to be a bit nuts to be diving about all over the place and landing on their heads at times doesn't help. :LOL:

Hahaha.......I guess there are exceptions to most rules.

I was speaking from personal experience, TD.

Always seen myself as silky midfielder; unfortunately, my back-to-front feet and extremely low IQ meant that the only place I got a game was in goal.

What might have been if I didn't have the genetic make-up of Jim-Jim the dog-faced boy and the balletic grace of a three-legged elephant.
So basically you're saying, Craig Gordon is a dunder head with fucked up feet? That might explain why he's shite at passing!

Last edited:
First and foremost we surely want the best guy at stopping the opposition from scoring and on that basis I think that Craig is still ahead. But clearly the sweeper keeper role is something that Brendan (and many other managers) favours and from what I've seen Scott seems to be more comfortable. So, in summary, no idea!!

First and foremost we surely want the best guy at stopping the opposition from scoring and on that basis I think that Craig is still ahead. But clearly the sweeper keeper role is something that Brendan (and many other managers) favours and from what I've seen Scott seems to be more comfortable. So, in summary, no idea!!

Think you covered all your bases there, Jobo. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Back