BERTIE AULD RIP

My favourite Celtic player of all time. A man to whom the phrase "a true Celtic man", genuinely applies.

It is a sad, sad day. Thank you, for all the wonderful memories, Bertie. It was a pleasure to have the privilege of watching you. RIP. 💚 🍀

Last edited:
Absolutely loved wee Bertie, sadly never got to see him play way before my time, but not only was he a Celtic great but he was a great character and a class human being who's love for Celtic and the supporters shone bright until the very end. Loved his stories, loved his humour and loved how down to earth he was, very few connected with the fans the way wee Bertie did and he will be sadly missed.

A Celtic legend who small in stature was always a giant in the eyes of the Celtic support. Rest in Peace Bertie...you more than made your mark both on the pitch and off it! 💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚💚

When I was a child and first starting to show a real interest in football. I found myself having a real soft spot for Partick Thistle.

There were four reasons for this:

1. Loved their kit
2. Idolised Alan Rough
3. Kinda liked the name
4. Their mad magnificent mental manager

I was too young to connect the dots and didn't have the knowledge of Celtic history at this point, I just remembered this swaggering, stogie-smoking fella in his sheepskin jacket and laughing laughing laughing.

I remember my Da' taking me to Tannadice to watch Thistle play United. It was rare for my Da' to venture into either Dens or Tannadice unless Celtic were playing, but he was a regular at Dens whilst Big Tam was the boss there. Tannadice wasn't really for him, but this day he took me into the enclosure right by the Thistle dug-out.

My Da' was mesmerised by the performance that Bertie Auld put on and he wasn't even playing. He was holding court in the dug-out while the game was raging on around him and I just remember the laughter laughter laughter.

Great things come in small packages. When a Lion was in trouble - Bertie would be the first one there to pick them up and dust them off.

That's not a team-mate - that is love and that is family.

The Lions were treated abysmally by the Celtic board prior to Fergus taking over. Successive boards have done much better to honour the Greatest Celtic team of all-time.

I hope we celebrate a unique genius and a unique human being in the weeks to come.

I hope we sing The Celtic Song in tribute to the man who stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the Milanese elite and belted it oot in true gallus Glaswegian style.

There are many Celtic heroes, but not quite so many Celtic icons.

Bertie Auld is/was/and will forever be an iconic hero and the folk who run our club better pull out all the stops to celebrate the legend of Bertie Auld.

What a wonderful man bertie was I'm sure he was born with that big smile on his face.loved listening to him never got to meet him in person we all have regrets in life that's one of mine.I remember him telling the story when the lions where standing in the tunnel waiting to go on the field and they started to sing sure it's a grand old team to play for.as he was telling the story their it was that wonderful bertie smile. Rip bertie thanks.

I was listening to George Harrison's All Things Must Pass when my brother phoned with the terrible news of Bertie's passing. A very strange and unwelcome coincidence.
I always find it impossible to find the words to describe my feelings at times like this; of course, like all of my fellow brothers and sisters in Celtic, I pass on my condolences to Bertie's family and loved ones.

But it can't just end there. Here was a man who brought so much joy to the lives of those of us who were lucky enough to see him play.
Bertie epitomised everything we feel about this magnificent club of ours. He will ALWAYS be in our hearts. But you know what ? I believe he wouldn't want the sadness to last too long. Truly he WAS one of our own. A legend in Celtic folklore without doubt. But above all he wanted to put a smile on our faces. He just lived for that.

I'm already enjoying the memories of this wonderful player. I'm already wallowing in those memories. I just know Bertie wouldn't want me to be down for too long.

I think perhaps Christina Rossetti puts it rather well.....
Far better that you forget me for a while and smile,
Than that you remember me and be sad.

HH Bertie, and thanks a million million times, just for being you.

When I was a child and first starting to show a real interest in football. I found myself having a real soft spot for Partick Thistle.

There were four reasons for this:

1. Loved their kit
2. Idolised Alan Rough
3. Kinda liked the name
4. Their mad magnificent mental manager

I was too young to connect the dots and didn't have the knowledge of Celtic history at this point, I just remembered this swaggering, stogie-smoking fella in his sheepskin jacket and laughing laughing laughing.

I remember my Da' taking me to Tannadice to watch Thistle play United. It was rare for my Da' to venture into either Dens or Tannadice unless Celtic were playing, but he was a regular at Dens whilst Big Tam was the boss there. Tannadice wasn't really for him, but this day he took me into the enclosure right by the Thistle dug-out.

My Da' was mesmerised by the performance that Bertie Auld put on and he wasn't even playing. He was holding court in the dug-out while the game was raging on around him and I just remember the laughter laughter laughter.

Great things come in small packages. When a Lion was in trouble - Bertie would be the first one there to pick them up and dust them off.

That's not a team-mate - that is love and that is family.

The Lions were treated abysmally by the Celtic board prior to Fergus taking over. Successive boards have done much better to honour the Greatest Celtic team of all-time.

I hope we celebrate a unique genius and a unique human being in the weeks to come.

I hope we sing The Celtic Song in tribute to the man who stood shoulder-to-shoulder with the Milanese elite and belted it oot in true gallus Glaswegian style.

There are many Celtic heroes, but not quite so many Celtic icons.

Bertie Auld is/was/and will forever be an iconic hero and the folk who run our club better pull out all the stops to celebrate the legend of Bertie Auld.
Reading through misty eyes this morning, after hearing the sad news
Bertie was my all time favourite player for the Hoops
I watched the Lions as a boy and they all connected with the fans, a special team, full of special characters, and Bertie was the 'leader aff of the fun'
It's such a sad time for us all as we see our heroes deteriorate
These LEGENDS live on in our memories

Raise a glass to another icon of Celtic Football Club
Bertie Auld, loved by all

HH

YNWA

I was listening to George Harrison's All Things Must Pass when my brother phoned with the terrible news of Bertie's passing. A very strange and unwelcome coincidence.
I always find it impossible to find the words to describe my feelings at times like this; of course, like all of my fellow brothers and sisters in Celtic, I pass on my condolences to Bertie's family and loved ones.

But it can't just end there. Here was a man who brought so much joy to the lives of those of us who were lucky enough to see him play.
Bertie epitomised everything we feel about this magnificent club of ours. He will ALWAYS be in our hearts. But you know what ? I believe he wouldn't want the sadness to last too long. Truly he WAS one of our own. A legend in Celtic folklore without doubt. But above all he wanted to put a smile on our faces. He just lived for that.

I'm already enjoying the memories of this wonderful player. I'm already wallowing in those memories. I just know Bertie wouldn't want me to be down for too long.

I think perhaps Christina Rossetti puts it rather well.....
Far better that you forget me for a while and smile,
Than that you remember me and be sad.

HH Bertie, and thanks a million million times, just for being you.
100% Frank
A sad day for us all, but the memories of Bertie and the rest of the Lions will remain with us forever

Thinking of oor Michael today too

Remember, we are all family and You Will Never Walk Alone

HH

Members online

Latest posts

Back