Bertie Auld

Reading this brings back in full clarity the blatant discrimination that was still prevalent in Scotland in the 70s and 80s, not just in football but in everyday life. We were still second class citizens banging our heads of a glass ceiling and only in the last 10 or 15 years has that changed significantly.
The number of caps the Lions gathered between them was a joke, if Lennox or Auld were English they would have 50 caps.

114 was the total caps of the lions according to my reckoning. Compared with the 168 given to the 10 Scotsmen who represented whatever they were called when they lost the cup winners cup final the same year. So our all conquering team who dominated Scottish football won a rough average of 10 caps each while the also rans team averaged around 17. That's the facts I think.

Last edited:
114 was the total caps of the lions according to my reckoning. Compared with the 168 given to the 10 Scotsmen who represented whatever they were called when they lost the cup winners cup final the same year.
Two player can have that in total, Naismith is almost on 50, we have not qualified for any tournaments and most all have 50 caps and are in hall of fames, for what, we have not been in a tounament for 20 years, fucking hall of shame it should be called.

It will never change Hall of shame is bang on . if and it's a big if Scotland qualify then nearly every Celtic player will be dropped or used as subs
it took 52 yrs for the Lions to be inducted into the hall of fame

https://scottishfootballmuseum.org....cted-into-the-scottish-football-hall-of-fame/

says it all really

would have told them to Ram it
Jim Duffy almost let the cat out the bag on Radio Clyde he said if teams get to tournaments then players want to be included in the tournaments, and similar to the effect of but when the team is not doing well , your point as above when the event happens the pals act kicks in.

114 was the total caps of the lions according to my reckoning. Compared with the 168 given to the 10 Scotsmen who represented whatever they were called when they lost the cup winners cup final the same year. So our all conquering team who dominated Scottish football won a rough average of 10 caps each while the also rans team averaged around 17. That's the facts I think.

Ach fk it. WE CONQUERED EUROPE.

First eam in the UK to do so.

Let the twats have the am a proddie cap.

Give me a LION anyday GRRR

Watched Bertie play many times,his and Jinkys antics on the field were a pleasure to watch,no matter how many times they were kicked or kicked Bertie,s movement and passing along with the unexpected turns throwing many an opponent the wrong way met him once along with my brothers a funny and down to earth well mannered man,if memory serves he would sit on the ball waiting for a restart of the game,his experience and skill were a great watch he played with no fear and always had a smile when called by name during a match,I was lucky enough to follow the team from.the fifties and saw Jock Stein build his euro winning team I think it's great when members of the team are recalled by as it invokes such great memories

Back