Best since Big Jock?

Lubos left peg

One of the things I love most about the noise is the stories you folk have to tell about your many many (in some cases many many many many) years of following Glasgow Celtic.
I was born in 87. I was to young to remember the mood around Celtic in the 90s. I remember my 1st game was the Peter Grant testimonial against Bayern. I remember seeing my dad cry for the 1st time when we stopped them doing the 10....I vaguely remember the O'Neil era but I was to busy hanging about with my mates (all huns) and discovering girls šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
My question to you is, is Ange the best manager Celtic have had since Jock Stein?? I know it's still early stages. But looking at what he's created so far, the mood around the club, the style of play we are seeing, is he, or does he have the potential to be the best since Jock??

Or is it to early to tell??

Or.....is there any manager you rate higher?? That came after Jock Stein

One of the things I love most about the noise is the stories you folk have to tell about your many many (in some cases many many many many) years of following Glasgow Celtic.
I was born in 87. I was to young to remember the mood around Celtic in the 90s. I remember my 1st game was the Peter Grant testimonial against Bayern. I remember seeing my dad cry for the 1st time when we stopped them doing the 10....I vaguely remember the O'Neil era but I was to busy hanging about with my mates (all huns) and discovering girls šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
My question to you is, is Ange the best manager Celtic have had since Jock Stein?? I know it's still early stages. But looking at what he's created so far, the mood around the club, the style of play we are seeing, is he, or does he have the potential to be the best since Jock??

Or is it to early to tell??

Or.....is there any manager you rate higher?? That came after Jock Stein
Imo nobody can go higher than Jock. Not only in terms of how he wanted his team to play, but in his understanding of what he was up against regarding the official's.
So just under him I'd put Tommy Burns, then Martin O'NEIL, then Brendan, an then Ange. Tuff but that's the way it goes.

Imo nobody can go higher than Jock. Not only in terms of how he wanted his team to play, but in his understanding of what he was up against regarding the official's.
So just under him I'd put Tommy Burns, then Martin O'NEIL, then Brendan, an then Ange. Tuff but that's the way it goes.

Respect that Brim. What, in your opinion, would Ange have to do to get above BR?? I assume get to a euro final to better O'Neil?
Also, who's style did you prefer out of O'Neil, BR and Ange?

Alright, change it up a bit!! Style of play.
Has any team excited you more than Anges team, in terms of how they play?

I'm not trying to stear people towards big Ange....I'm trying to get stories of games you went to, after Jock, where you saw Celtic teams play, under a manager, where you got excited and thought...."fucking hell!! We have something special here"

It is too soon. Tommy, Billy & Davie Hay did well for parts under difficult circumstances and Martin delivered a lot of success after many years of dismal failure but he had some amazing players that we could never afford these days.

Rodgers delivered incredible success which was sometimes breathtaking to watch. And Strachan did well despite having to slash wages and playing against a bunch of cheating bastards who stole trophies thanks to players they could never have afforded if they played by the rules.

Ange is a great coach, a wonderful motivator/man manager and has a great eye for a player who will fit in to his exciting system. I really think there is the potential for him to become the best manager since Jock. But I will wait until he wins plenty more trophies in the next few years.

It is too soon. Billy & Davie Hay did well for parts under difficult circumstances and Martin delivered a lot of success after many years of dismal failure but he had some amazing players that we could never afford these days.

Rodgers delivered incredible success which was sometimes breathtaking to watch. And Strachan did well despite having to slash wages and playing against a bunch of cheating bastards who stole trophies thanks to players they could never have afforded if they played by the rules.

Ange is a great coach, a wonderful motivator/man manager and has a great eye for a player who will fit in to his exciting system. I really think there is the potential for him to become the best manager since Jock. But I will wait until he wins plenty more trophies in the next few years.

Thanks BB.

Respect that Brim. What, in your opinion, would Ange have to do to get above BR?? I assume get to a euro final to better O'Neil?
Also, who's style did you prefer out of O'Neil, BR and Ange?
Anges style is better to watch, however, we have to do better in Europe , ŵe cannot go into European games creating as many chances as we do and not converting them into goals.

Anges style is better to watch, however, we have to do better in Europe , ŵe cannot go into European games creating as many chances as we do and not converting them into goals.

Hopefully Oh is our man!!

For all BR achieved, his failings in Europe hung over him, didn't they!?

For Ange to get near (still a million miles away) Jock....he has to do better in Europe.

No right or wrong answers šŸ¤£šŸ¤£
Lubo every game I went to I loved itā€™s in my blood.The thing is when Big Jock was manager the sense of being unbeatable was all around.We went to games full of confidence and we never contemplated getting beat.It was not being big headed or superior it was just a fact.For many years I attended games and the sole topic was how many we would score.It was sublime football and the sense of pride Jock gave to Celtic will never be surpassed.This team and manager give me the same vibes but I,m afraid Mr Stein is just in front.HH.ā˜˜ļøā˜˜ļøšŸ’ššŸ’ššŸ‘

Lubo every game I went to I loved itā€™s in my blood.The thing is when Big Jock was manager the sense of being unbeatable was all around.We went to games full of confidence and we never contemplated getting beat.It was not being big headed or superior it was just a fact.For many years I attended games and the sole topic was how many we would score.It was sublime football and the sense of pride Jock gave to Celtic will never be surpassed.This team and manager give me the same vibes but I,m afraid Mr Stein is just in front.HH.ā˜˜ļøā˜˜ļøšŸ’ššŸ’ššŸ‘

Thanks Croppybhoy. šŸ€šŸ€šŸ€

Totally agree with Croppy.

Martin O'Neil had some fantastic players in his team like larrson but Martin was a great man manager the way he improved Bobby petta and bought Agath for 50 grand and turned him into one of the best wingers iv seen at celtic Park and to get us to the europa league final and taking a few big scalps on the way who could forget.but Martin had 2 very good men at his side john Robertson and stevie Walford that shouldn't be forgotten. Ange has come from the other side of the world to a team that was on its knees and a few big players that wanted to leave and did leave but ange set out his stall from his first day of training and said we don't stop and we haven't. Also nearly every player ange has bought in have not let us down. Then you have greg Taylor and Tony Ralston 2 guys most people wouldn't have thought twice about letting them leave now you wouldn't take 10 million for either of them thier is so many things I could complement ange for. No celtic manager will ever do what big jock did but for me it has to be big ange as the best manager since the big fella graced us with his presence I d love ange to be with us for ten years but we all know lifes not so kind.

Stein (the only contender for no1)
Oā€™Neill (the run to Seville was incredible)
Rodgers (hunskelper, invincible season, treble treble)
Postacoglou (jury is still out, but hasnā€™t done much wrong)
Jansen ( stopped the hun financially doped 10iar, brought Larsson in)
McNeil (centenary double)
Burns (beautiful football, won our 1st cup in 6 years, up against doped Huns)
Strachan (3 in a row champions, group in champions league twice)
Lennon (4 championships)
Delia (2 championships)
Venglos (the 5-1 hun skelping and bringing Moravcek to us)
Most of the others were embarrassing Macari, Brady, Barnes/Dalgleish, Mowbray,
Was born in 1966, so canā€™t remember any of the previous mangers, šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

Alright, change it up a bit!! Style of play.
Has any team excited you more than Anges team, in terms of how they play?

I'm not trying to stear people towards big Ange....I'm trying to get stories of games you went to, after Jock, where you saw Celtic teams play, under a manager, where you got excited and thought...."fucking hell!! We have something special here"
Tommy Burns team similar attacking style ah still hear Di Canioā€˜s free kick cracking aff the bar against the nasty nasties and Wimā€˜s team loved the way they switched play from one side to the other

I would rate big ange in second after stein. I know he still has to prove himself, but he has created a feeling around the club that I can't remember and a style of football that has you on the edge of your seat. Plus he takes no shit from the hun media. He also comes across as a very likeable down to earth person.
Apart from the fact that Rodgers is a lying wee rat cunt, he was competing in a time when the huns were absolute dirt. So fuck him he doesn't count.
As for oneill and I know I'll get slaughtered for it, I never liked him. He's not a nice person. His personality is very similar to lennon. A sarcastic smartarse, who wasn't very nice to younger players. He spent a lot of dough and inherited some very good players. He had no game plan as the players have admitted many times. This was found out at every club he has been with since celtic, plus the balls he made of ireland.
Wim jansen was a brilliant manager as was Joe venglos.
Tommy burns was very unlucky and played great football.
But the biggest shock of the lot for me is the fact that lubo was born in 87. As they say here, the track of the nappy is still on your arse!

I would rate big ange in second after stein. I know he still has to prove himself, but he has created a feeling around the club that I can't remember and a style of football that has you on the edge of your seat. Plus he takes no shit from the hun media. He also comes across as a very likeable down to earth person.
Apart from the fact that Rodgers is a lying wee rat cunt, he was competing in a time when the huns were absolute dirt. So fuck him he doesn't count.
As for oneill and I know I'll get slaughtered for it, I never liked him. He's not a nice person. His personality is very similar to lennon. A sarcastic smartarse, who wasn't very nice to younger players. He spent a lot of dough and inherited some very good players. He had no game plan as the players have admitted many times. This was found out at every club he has been with since celtic, plus the balls he made of ireland.
Wim jansen was a brilliant manager as was Joe venglos.
Tommy burns was very unlucky and played great football.
But the biggest shock of the lot for me is the fact that lubo was born in 87. As they say here, the track of the nappy is still on your arse!

Thanks Deadner!!!!! šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£šŸ¤£

Jock got his ā€œtotal footballā€ idea after the Celtic first team squad were taken on a trip to Wembley to see the famous Total Football Hungarian team of the mid 1950s play England. They were the first non UK team to beat England at Wembley. (5-3 or 6-3?) Apparently their off the ball running had England spinning with multiple threats from all over the pitch. The most famous player of the Hungarian team was Feranc Puskas, who was later to become Anges manager at South Melbourne. Jock saw something and went with it and now Ange looks to be doing the same. Puskas the best manager Celtic never had!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back