Best striker since Larsson?

Winter

Edouard is in scintillating form right at the moment and is getting the praise and the plaudits he rightly deserves for it. Hes only 22, hes been leading the line alone for the past few seasons and has acquitted himself quite spectacularly considering the weight of the burden that simply being Celtic's main striker can bring, add to that the fact that he is Celtic's all time most expensive signing and the pressure that can bring alone and his accomplishments become even more impressive as players like Timu Pukki, Harold Brattback , Amido Balde, Stefan Scepovic, Tony Cascarino, Carlton Cole, Kazim Richards, Pawel Brozek (who? I know) will testify. The pressure got to these guys, proven goalscorers, some more than others and you could argue they had different pressures, like not playing in the most successful Celtic side in generations. Edouard has shown undoubted mental strength, character and ability at his age to not be fazed by all of that , the history the club ,its size etc etc. Still as outstanding as eddy is and has been, especially since that goal coming on as a sub at the theatre of hate, I thought it a little bit naughty of Chris Sutton to say live on tv eddy is the best striker we've seen since Larsson. It's a fair comment from a qualified judge being himself a Celtic legendary striker. I thought it naughty a little disrespectful even because he was playing alongside another true Celtic legendary striker in leigh Griffiths. The only player to date who has actually been able to match Larssons 40+ goals in a season at CP. Who knows how many goals Griffiths may have scored by now if not for the signing of Brendan Rodgers and his tactical changes that saw incredibly Griffiths pretty much sidelined after his awesome scoring season in preference to dembele another candidate for the title yet at the time an unknown and many were baffled ,I included by this,though not for long. So Edouard , Griffiths, Dembele, Hooper, Wayne Biggins (just kidding) who is the best since Henrik Larsson? If its numbers its Griffiths if age edouard or dembele. I think personally it's too early to say hes the best when Griffiths is coming back onto his game, and technically both are superb. Strong argument for eddy, griff or moussa who was explosive and different again. At this time it's too tough to call but it's got to be Lassad Nouioui?

Last edited:
Larsson certainly set a high benchmark and we’d do well to get someone as good as him again. Bear in mind, he didn’t start off as well. But as for the question, it would’ve been interesting to see how dembele would’ve been if he hadn’t got injured and/or stayed another year. Rodgers plan was to play him and eddy up front as a 2. That likely would have been our best strike force since larsson & Sutton/hartson. Dembele & eddy 2 different players, I actually prefer dembele as I think he was a better target if we needed to pitch it in to him when playing in Europe. Remember he was tested v CL sides compared to eddy. What I would say though is that a £9m signing got a good 6 months to settle in to the team before any pressure was put on him with having dembele. The Pukkis etc didn’t have that luxury. That’s why I’m surprised we didn’t get in another for when eddy moves on in say 6/12 months. I’m not sure Klimala will be the next good forward to slot in. We should be striving towards a conveyor belt of top young talent that we pay for that bring us success as they develop then funds for next project when they decide to move on

Larsson certainly set a high benchmark and we’d do well to get someone as good as him again. Bear in mind, he didn’t start off as well. But as for the question, it would’ve been interesting to see how dembele would’ve been if he hadn’t got injured and/or stayed another year. Rodgers plan was to play him and eddy up front as a 2. That likely would have been our best strike force since larsson & Sutton/hartson. Dembele & eddy 2 different players, I actually prefer dembele as I think he was a better target if we needed to pitch it in to him when playing in Europe. Remember he was tested v CL sides compared to eddy. What I would say though is that a £9m signing got a good 6 months to settle in to the team before any pressure was put on him with having dembele. The Pukkis etc didn’t have that luxury. That’s why I’m surprised we didn’t get in another for when eddy moves on in say 6/12 months. I’m not sure Klimala will be the next good forward to slot in. We should be striving towards a conveyor belt of top young talent that we pay for that bring us success as they develop then funds for next project when they decide to move on
That would have been quite something to see those 2 up front though even when Rodgers had a fit Griffiths or eddy to partner dembele he almost always stuck with his 1 up front and someone playing off him for the knock downs like rogic Forrest or McGregor and has continued that at Leicester so I'm not overly convinced that was his plan. We may yet see them both up front for france in the near future. I once read somewhere I cant recall where that eddy was always rated higher than dembele by the French youth set up and he is learning and improving all the time at being a target and holding the ball up to get us out, though yes you're right in saying dembele is more a natural at that style than eddy. I remember eddy having a quite often woeful 1st touch in that role but has drastically improved on that. Dembele was explosive and eddy is coolness personified, perhaps that explosive style is why dembele was injured so frequently. HH

To even be mentioned in the same sentence as the only Messiah who was real, Eddy is a worthy successor. He will never replace the spot in my heart that isHenrikville, but, the boy is a cut above every striker since. Long may we keep him.
Cant argue with that no-one who witnessed the sublime skills of Larsson will likely ever compare anyone to him. Though in a way Larsson was immense at dragging the side by the scruff ,inspiring others to reach a higher level and eddy does have a bit of that about him also, when we were under pressure the slightest opportunity or not even really an opportunity for more mortal players quickly turned into one with Larsson his mazy runs and flicks ,awesome control I can see that quality in eddy also, running at the opposition's 18yd box on their own, the obvious examples for me larssons chip over klos and the collect carry and shot away to boavista awesome memories and Henrik wasnt a tall guy but he could reach some height even from standing position those headers in seville wow HH

Henrik was so unique, so versatile, so fit, so gifted and so humble that no one has come near to lacing his boots. Eddy could only achieve that if he stays for the same amount of time that Henrik graced the pitch at Paradise.
And that would appear unlikely even keeping him beyond jan seems unlikely right now though hopefully we can get another season from him

I don’t think folk are comparing him to larsson, just the best since him
Spot on exactly ,its unfair to even try to compare against the Likes of Larsson for any player. His single handed salvaging of the champions league final for barca trailing 1nil to arsenal when he came on he very quickly turned it on its head leading Thierry Henry to say of all the stars at Barcelona in that game arsenal had it under control until the introduction of Larsson they just couldn't cope with him or words to that effect

Henrik had it all so he will always be out there on his own for me. But since the question is about the best striker since Henke, Edouard is a class act for sure so he gets my vote. Imagine them playing together FFS 💚 💚 💚
Me too , he still had it a couple of years after his playing retirement and we witnessed him make still playing stars look ordinary many times albeit friendlies , so good he was still there was real genuine calls for his return. I always thought it a great pity (but a great marker of the mans character that he declined another season at man utd) simply because he'd given his word that hed return to Sweden at the end of his loan spell, and later he said it was his only regret in football that he kept his word ,so humble almost to a fault and compared to zlatan and his brazen style of self promotion Mourinho like almost .

Spot on about unable to separate them, its fantastic to see Callum back to his best hes been close in recent games only just pulling his shot wide a few times , that look up and no continue the run to the bye line is so awesome ,a little bit of good fortune it got through to Griffiths but fortune his work rate totally deserved, eddy just makes everything seem so cool,calm and collected and easy even. I'd love to think that we could have another year of the 2 he has left on his contract but that's probably going to be the big bucks factor that he still has 2yesrs to run. Great video HH

Back