Boxing

Catterall landed 166 to 85 punches and was given the verdict by 3 rounds by one ref
the worst decision I can remember for a while
You can’t blame Taylor for the result
As a fellow Scotsman I always supported him in a big way but his mouth and attitude put me right off him all week in build up
When I saw the weigh in pre fight first thing I said to my old bhoy was Taylor looked gaunt
There’s no way he’ll give a rematch, he’s too clever
You have to feel for that lad, undefeated in 26 and that’s the manner of the first loss on his record
Still livid myself
I’ve just seen the referees cards online
One of them only gave cattersll 4 rounds of 12 🤨
I used to be a massive boxing fan. I couldn't even remember the amount of live events and title fights I've been to. I was at the Wayne McCullough naseem hamed fight in Atlantic city when McCullough completely outboxed hamed and got robbed. After seeing many robberies like this I started to lose heed.
Boxing is the most corrupt sport in the world.

As anyone who knows me will testify my knowledge of boxing is very limited, because of the Scotland v England aspect I watched the fight last night. I was baffled by the decision and hoped some of the noises more experienced boxing fans would have been explaining today how I got it so wrong.
Also to the untrained eye I thought due to the constant hugging going on there was more chance one of them ending up pregnant than knocked out

As anyone who knows me will testify my knowledge of boxing is very limited, because of the Scotland v England aspect I watched the fight last night. I was baffled by the decision and hoped some of the noises more experienced boxing fans would have been explaining today how I got it so wrong.
Also to the untrained eye I thought due to the constant hugging going on there was more chance one of them ending up pregnant than knocked out
Perhaps the fact Taylor had just signed a 5 fight deal with top rank boxing would be the only reason I can come up with
Because the cards weren’t based on the fight

Loved the boxing at one time. Used to train in both Govan clubs. Still have friends who were both pro and amateur. What started to turn me off the fight game was when I was in charge of security at St Andrews Sporting Club. Fights at that time were held in Glasgow's Albany Hotel. There was one night in particular when the six bouts, obviously all pro, were mainland UK fighters against six boys from the north of Ireland. Honestly, my sisters could've beaten the Irish boys. Talk about mismatched ! However, what I found really distasteful was when I looked at all those blokes in their dinner suits actually cheering the fact that these kids were taking a hiding. It was the start of the end of my love of boxing. Ali is still my favourite of all time though.

Loved the boxing at one time. Used to train in both Govan clubs. Still have friends who were both pro and amateur. What started to turn me off the fight game was when I was in charge of security at St Andrews Sporting Club. Fights at that time were held in Glasgow's Albany Hotel. There was one night in particular when the six bouts, obviously all pro, were mainland UK fighters against six boys from the north of Ireland. Honestly, my sisters could've beaten the Irish boys. Talk about mismatched ! However, what I found really distasteful was when I looked at all those blokes in their dinner suits actually cheering the fact that these kids were taking a hiding. It was the start of the end of my love of boxing. Ali is still my favourite of all time though.
That's another thing that i didnt like either Frank. An up and coming boxer is being put in against a so called "journeyman" to just get wins under his belt. It's disgraceful. The poor fucker gets paid a few hundred quid to be a punch bag.That's why I'm more into the ufc. That doesn't happen. You have to work your way up against lads on the same level as you. It's a lot fairer.

That's another thing that i didnt like either Frank. An up and coming boxer is being put in against a so called "journeyman" to just get wins under his belt. It's disgraceful. The poor fucker gets paid a few hundred quid to be a punch bag.That's why I'm more into the ufc. That doesn't happen. You have to work your way up against lads on the same level as you. It's a lot fairer.
I'm obviously not goin' to mention any names with this post TD, but I promise you it's 100% true. A mate of mine, a pro boxer, was asked if he could step in at the last minute to take the place of another fighter who withdrew due to injury. The fight was to take place down south. Thing is, he hadn't trained for quite some time, and so was out of shape as well as being ring rusty. Being that he was absolutely skint, and the money was reasonable, he took the fight. He lost, second round knockout. He told me not long after that he took a dive as he was so far out of sorts he was never goin' to give a decent account of himself . Said the bloke did hit him with a decent shot, but not enough to stop him if he was fit. Sad but true.

Tai chi is a glorified dance routine. In slow motion!
I dance like an epileptic sheepdog so maybe not the wisest choice :ROFLMAO:
The Eastern Philosophy and self-discipline aspect of Tai Chi was the appeal for me. Not really interested in the fighting aspect as if I was going to do any martial art from that perspective it would be judo. I'll only throw a punch as a last resort. Any time in recent years when somebody has hit me when I've been sober I took the punch and closed the distance then used my strength to subdue the aggressor until cooler heads prevailed. Wouldn't fancy me chances nowadays with the kinda super-charged young lads running about. Cubs about 22 with gym-conditioned strength it took me decades of farming and labouring to acquire. I could and regularly did stack blocks all day but wouldn't last 15 minutes lifting weights.

Mate I'v tried to make sense of Justice for Noah without success.
Can you please tell what its about.
As I have found you to have a similar social justice conscience like myself.
I don't have a twitter account.
Cara, I will start a thread on Noah and Fiona's story this week but I'll take my time and do it right.

I dance like an epileptic sheepdog so maybe not the wisest choice :ROFLMAO:
The Eastern Philosophy and self-discipline aspect of Tai Chi was the appeal for me. Not really interested in the fighting aspect as if I was going to do any martial art from that perspective it would be judo. I'll only throw a punch as a last resort. Any time in recent years when somebody has hit me when I've been sober I took the punch and closed the distance then used my strength to subdue the aggressor until cooler heads prevailed. Wouldn't fancy me chances nowadays with the kinda super-charged young lads running about. Cubs about 22 with gym-conditioned strength it took me decades of farming and labouring to acquire. I could and regularly did stack blocks all day but wouldn't last 15 minutes lifting weights.
Most martial arts teach you to subdue your opponent. And nearly all of them teach that you only fight as a last resort. All the shite you see on YouTube about how to disarm a knife or a gun attacker is bollox in a real situation too.

Hate fighting and haven't started a fight since I was in school. As such I have no interest in boxing, ufc etc. I know some boxers including professionals and to a man they are highly-disciplined gentlemen. Still I consider it too risky a way to earn a living as the latter years of such a great man as Mohammed Ali attest.
Have little interest myself, I once did but now its confined to the big fights. The UFC which I dont watch but if I happen to catch it then that does peak my interest.
I did enjoy watching the Fury v Wilder fights.
When Wilder knocked Fury out cold (out cold on his way to the canvass)in the 8th ( I think) and Fury incredibly came around and back to his feet all within 10-13 seconds. That's something I wont forget in a hurry it was unbelievable.
There was the controversy surrounding the " long count" that saw Fury get back up and I believed it was a little slow at the time. I have been told by another person I think has better understanding of the rules of boxing that the count starts when the boxer returns to his corner or is told to. How much truth is in that I've no idea.
Never believed in the Joshua hype. He may still prove me wrong.
I think that as brilliant a boxer Usyk is, a fully fit 19 stone Fury will be just too much for Usyk who's already stepped up a few weight divisions.
Apart from that , totally no interest in it but like Josh Taylor to win 😂😂

Imagine the money won, and lost, on that fight
I didn't see the fight, but judging by the reaction from seasoned pro's something ain't right

Last edited:

Members online

Back