CAESAR, Surely?

It started as Cesar then became Caesar as Billy's career progressed. When he managed Celtic it was always Caesar then the journalist Jim Black - a lovely big guy incidentally - was writing a book about Billy and discovered that Billy hadn't always been Caesar but was Cesar in his early days, he used that Hail Cesar as the book title and Celtic also went with it too...

I'd heard a few of the players had been to see Oceans Eleven at the pictures. Cesar Romero played the getaway driver in the car so as Billy was the only player at the time to have a car and drove the players around, the nickname stuck.
The same Cesar Romero who played 'The Joker' in a Batman film :)

I'd heard a few of the players had been to see Oceans Eleven at the pictures. Cesar Romero played the getaway driver in the car so as Billy was the only player at the time to have a car and drove the players around, the nickname stuck.
The same Cesar Romero who played 'The Joker' in a Batman film :)

That's pretty much the way it was.
But whether Cesar or Caesar, there is only one, as the song goes?
HH

He,s always Big Billy to me...watched him well before the glory years...and sometimes in defeat,but he learned and got better and better as did his teamates...all we needed was a cup..and Big Billy won the cup in 65...just like today...The number 5 scores in 67 minutes!!! You couldn't write it.

Back