CALMAC and Formations Threads (merged)

Gary67

Not a knee jerk reaction after yesterday, something I’ve thought since Rome, we need to deploy, in certain games, a formation that has 3 at the back and wingbacks providing the width. The other 5 positions in the middle of the park can be flexed to play 2 up front with 3 behind, or 2 just off the striker and 2 in the middle or a variation of that. It would get more out of or current squad and with 3 signings in January (left sided centre half, central midfielder who can either sit deep or play box to box, and a striker who not links the attacks up, ie another Eddy) could be the restart we need to finish the job this season.
Our continuation of 4231, generally with the same personnel has become predictable easier to play against. When we have changed it, Rome (tactical) and home to Hibs (injuries) it has worked well.

Not a knee jerk reaction after yesterday, something I’ve thought since Rome, we need to deploy, in certain games, a formation that has 3 at the back and wingbacks providing the width. The other 5 positions in the middle of the park can be flexed to play 2 up front with 3 behind, or 2 just off the striker and 2 in the middle or a variation of that. It would get more out of or current squad and with 3 signings in January (left sided centre half, central midfielder who can either sit deep or play box to box, and a striker who not links the attacks up, ie another Eddy) could be the restart we need to finish the job this season.
Our continuation of 4231, generally with the same personnel has become predictable easier to play against. When we have changed it, Rome (tactical) and home to Hibs (injuries) it has worked well.
(y) (y) (y)

I would have titled this 'McGregor' but I didn't want Corpus Christie (the only man on earth not to know which way the Shagger dives) to get the heebie-jeebies.

Since Calmac began playing in tandem with Broon, our European performances have been a cut above traditional away pumpings. However, in the SPL we're not scoring enough to kill teams off.

I believe Calmac is the key.

When he played more advanced, his guile, deft touch and eye for a killer pass were sweet on the eye and wreaked match-winning devastation. In and around oppostion boxes, he was the axis of all that was good, scoring more than a few himself for additional kudos.

Against the Horribles we only began to see chinks of hope when he pushed forward, and that was in spite of the outnumbered tactical set-up. We got the equaliser, looked like we might assert ourselves more, but he withdrew towards the holding position once again and Davis took over.

So what I believe we have to do to secure the NINE is set up with a loose 3-5-2.

Or, for detail - 3-3-3-1:

Back 3 - Ajer, Jullien, and Bitton -who can step into mid on a whim.

Mid 3 - Broon holding (backed up by Bitton if necessary), Pingpong and Taylor/Boli/Hayes wing-backs - kidding ourselves if we think we can't play them more advanced given their pace and our dominance.

Advanced 3 - Forrest/A.N Other Winger, Christie, and CALMAC - Christie drifting centre/left, CALMAC given licence to get between their defensive lines and cause havoc/tie up the opposition's def mid.

Striker- Eddy/January superstar.

That's the way I see a simple tactical solution to what cost us/may hinder the title.

He's too creative and too much of a matchwinner to play deep in the SPL. We used to blow teams away when The Snake used him in an advanced role; it's how we realised what a player we had. He's now doing too much hod-carrying.

Lennony will know that. It is a matter of whether he would adapt the side/tactical set-up to use him properly. I don't think we've got much choice - after the ease with which we were overrun and snuffed in the midfield yesterday it's surely a given to use your best passer and craftsman to inflict maximum damage instead of wasting his guile in a semi-holding role.

Let him roam with licence to kill; a 'false number ten' if you like (see what I did there, hipster sound-byte fans!).
He's got the engine - seems to run on Duracell - so build the side, and the title, around him.

Sorry Gary, just posted a thread 'CALMAC' without reading this. almost exactly what I was thinking.(y)

Remember earlier last season (October November I think) when Broon was out injured Calmac played centre mid but further forward than Broon usually plays and we were fantastic, fast attacking free flowing football. Then when Broon came back in we struggled a bit.
I dont have an axe to grind with Broon, he was one of the few that tried like fuck yesterday, but him and Calmac playing next to each other maybe isn't the answer to every game.
Corpus has been really good at 10 this last 6 months, dont know what happened to him yesterday, same with Forrest, player of the year and posted missing.
For the next game against them we need to change things, maybe 3-5-2 is the answer, we cant afford to hand them the midfield like the last two games.
A fit Elyounoussi would help, when's he coming back?

Don't forget Rogic and McGregor in an advanced midfield results in scelpin' - see Hampden Scottish Cup semi-final 4-0 win.

Here's what I think could have worked at halftime yesterday.

Rogic and Ntcham should have been on for the two ineffective wingers, with Bitton replacing Bolingoli so we could go with three at the back.

Frimpong pushed up front on the right roaming behind Eddie in a 3-5-2 and he could change positions with Christie

Forster

Ajer, Jullien, Bitton

Brown

Christie Ntcham McGregor

Rogic

Frimpong Edouard

Don't forget Rogic and McGregor in an advanced midfield results in scelpin' - see Hampden Scottish Cup semi-final 4-0 win.

Here's what I think could have worked at halftime yesterday.

Rogic and Ntcham should have been on for the two ineffective wingers, with Bitton replacing Bolingoli so we could go with three at the back.

Frimpong pushed up front on the right roaming behind Eddie in a 3-5-2 and he could change positions with Christie

Forster

Ajer, Jullien, Bitton

Brown

Christie Ntcham McGregor

Rogic

Frimpong Edouard

Yup, we can only afford to play one winger at a time. The two misfiring wide bhoys cost us the game; like trying to function with 9 men against their loaded midfield.

I personally think we have too many going forwards and not enough strength in middle of park.

I think we would suit the same shape as sevco

But the wing backs need to be able to defend and have good positional reading of game.

Brown in front of CBs Bitton and Ntcham staying in CM roles, Bitton deeper with Ntcham box to box

Calmac in front of the two CMs supporting left and CF and power of pressing
Christie supporting right side and pressing hard

Leaving eddy to drift around into channels

Full backs to wing back mostly

So really 2 3 2 2 1

Switching to trad 442 if we need start going direct

Currently we have too big hole in CM and no players wanting to be creator all want to be runners waiting for the defence or brown to win ball and counter.

Might work when opposition aren't going to try press hard but it risks getting hemmed in with no players able to consistently pass ball the 40 yard gap in midfield between defence and attack.

We have the players but either they are instructed to play high risk counter with reliance on our least capable passers to find the dream pass under hard press.

our attacking midfielders also refuse to get mud on their shirts often enough.

No support coming back or at least very weak support.

They expect the ball Brazilian 70s midfield could produce from Ajer and Julien and brown.

All good points, that the club need to address
If players can't get themselves up for these games, they need to be benched
Rogic, Ntcham & Bitton, sitting on the bench, when players are floating through the game, is beyond reason
Get back to basics and have someone on the post, at corners & set pieces, it's got to happen, when Forster doesn't come for the ball and they get free headers
We knew they were going to flood the middle of the park and come at us, from the off
What's the story with Taylor ?
He's played well against them, for Kilmarnock, why not give him a start against the Huns ?
We are hurting, but they don't give out league titles, in December
HH

I would have titled this 'McGregor' but I didn't want Corpus Christie (the only man on earth not to know which way the Shagger dives) to get the heebie-jeebies.

Since Calmac began playing in tandem with Broon, our European performances have been a cut above traditional away pumpings. However, in the SPL we're not scoring enough to kill teams off.

I believe Calmac is the key.

When he played more advanced, his guile, deft touch and eye for a killer pass were sweet on the eye and wreaked match-winning devastation. In and around oppostion boxes, he was the axis of all that was good, scoring more than a few himself for additional kudos.

Against the Horribles we only began to see chinks of hope when he pushed forward, and that was in spite of the outnumbered tactical set-up. We got the equaliser, looked like we might assert ourselves more, but he withdrew towards the holding position once again and Davis took over.

So what I believe we have to do to secure the NINE is set up with a loose 3-5-2.

Or, for detail - 3-3-3-1:

Back 3 - Ajer, Jullien, and Bitton -who can step into mid on a whim.

Mid 3 - Broon holding (backed up by Bitton if necessary), Pingpong and Taylor/Boli/Hayes wing-backs - kidding ourselves if we think we can't play them more advanced given their pace and our dominance.

Advanced 3 - Forrest/A.N Other Winger, Christie, and CALMAC - Christie drifting centre/left, CALMAC given licence to get between their defensive lines and cause havoc/tie up the opposition's def mid.

Striker- Eddy/January superstar.

That's the way I see a simple tactical solution to what cost us/may hinder the title.

He's too creative and too much of a matchwinner to play deep in the SPL. We used to blow teams away when The Snake used him in an advanced role; it's how we realised what a player we had. He's now doing too much hod-carrying.

Lennony will know that. It is a matter of whether he would adapt the side/tactical set-up to use him properly. I don't think we've got much choice - after the ease with which we were overrun and snuffed in the midfield yesterday it's surely a given to use your best passer and craftsman to inflict maximum damage instead of wasting his guile in a semi-holding role.

Let him roam with licence to kill; a 'false number ten' if you like (see what I did there, hipster sound-byte fans!).
He's got the engine - seems to run on Duracell - so build the side, and the title, around him.
Great post ...only criticism is that I wouldn't refer to him as "shagger". ..rapist being more apt

All good points, that the club need to address
If players can't get themselves up for these games, they need to be benched
Rogic, Ntcham & Bitton, sitting on the bench, when players are floating through the game, is beyond reason
Get back to basics and have someone on the post, at corners & set pieces, it's got to happen, when Forster doesn't come for the ball and they get free headers
We knew they were going to flood the middle of the park and come at us, from the off
What's the story with Taylor ?
He's played well against them, for Kilmarnock, why not give him a start against the Huns ?
We are hurting, but they don't give out league titles, in December
HH
But I think most of us would have agreed that Lenny started with our best 11 yesterday, if he had dropped Corpus, Forrest and let's say Ajer to fit in Mofo, Rogic and Bitton and we'd lost there would have been a full on out cry!
I think some of our guys are a bit burnt out, Calmac and Forrest being the obvious ones, not just down to this seasons games but combined with last season too.
I'm still completely convinced we have a better squad than them, hopefully this break works for us then we can come out and prove it.

But I think most of us would have agreed that Lenny started with our best 11 yesterday, if he had dropped Corpus, Forrest and let's say Ajer to fit in Mofo, Rogic and Bitton and we'd lost there would have been a full on out cry!
I think some of our guys are a bit burnt out, Calmac and Forrest being the obvious ones, not just down to this seasons games but combined with last season too.
I'm still completely convinced we have a better squad than them, hopefully this break works for us then we can come out and prove it.
No question we have a better squad and changes should have been made once the system we set up wasn't working
They played with aggression as usual, it's the only way they can challenge us
We'll come back stronger after the break, I'm sure and hopefully we get some good news with incoming players in January

Think the line up was what most of us wanted too see, but were too feckin passive, then we got worse,this break better work, we need men, el hamed, elyounoussi, bitton,hopefully a couple of new faces,because too many players, for whatever reason, did'nt show up!

Think the line up was what most of us wanted too see, but were too feckin passive, then we got worse,this break better work, we need men, el hamed, elyounoussi, bitton,hopefully a couple of new faces,because too many players, for whatever reason, did'nt show up!
I agree some lads need to man up silky football doesn't work to good in a congested midfield , we need aggressive strong men and we need width in our play to open up space for shots on goal.
We can do this but it'll take a cohesive effort by all. Resurrect our belief and desire and lets get cracking.

Back