Can Lenny spot a player

I don't know the truth of what goes on behind the scenes but I'm now sick and tired of so many people "assuming" Lawells influence without (thus far) showing any proof. The buck stops with Lenny. He is either his own man or hes a puppet.
Morning Stevie. I believe it is common knowledge how the system works and has been stated publicly on many occasions. The manager identifies positions he feel we need to strengthen. Now over to Hammond who looks for/at prospects and provides a list to Lenny. Lenny set an order 1,2,3,4 etc and Lawell tries to negotiate and sign based on companies finances etc. No mystery here in my opinion.

Think you may be a little harsh on the young man tet.
I can understand how frustrating his final delivery can be and no argument.
In his defence, we have to take into account his age with the lack of good coaching.
His role within the team were he's ment to be a RB but we expect him to play as a RW also.
The work rate we are expecting from him.
Hardly been getting any great support from an experienced players beside or in front of him as Christie or the CB haven't seem to been of much help for him.
Overall I think he is a great prospect in the making and with much better coaching has the potential to go as far in the game as KT imo.
I also think his game management should have been used more wisely but that hasn't been possible as for so long players haven't known there role within the team.
I hope we can keep hold of him but could see the vultures looming as I would rate him very highly with loads of potential
Mega harsh John!The wee fellas got huge potential and most importantly the right attitude!He'll go far .

My point is what did we actually hear or see? Has anybody confirmed that PL influences team/selections/players to buy? Again I'm not saying it isn't the case but if we are to condemn people we should have a better foundation than hearsay.

Don't buy into the claims that Lawell has any influence over team selections Steviebhoy but 3 examples off the top of my head regarding players being targeted by people other than the Celtic manager......

Marian Shved clearly not a Brendan Rodgers signing given Rodgers' comments when the player arrived.

Julien and Bolingoli not Lenny targets as Lenny himself was quoted as saying the club had been looking at both for a long time and as Lenny was not that long back in the door at Celtic himself then clearly neither were his 'targets'.

Another 2 rumoured to be Lawell signings were Scott Allan who was apparently signed over the head of Ronny Deila and Olivier Ntcham who was recommended to Lawell by his son who worked for Man City at the time. That said I acknowledge the fact that these particular 2 instances were only rumoured to be 'Lawell signings' and there's probably no way to confirm they were for sure.

Need to cut a wee bit of slack here

"
Celtic manager Neil Lennon tracked David Turnbull for over two years by the time he eventually signed for the Hoops, Stephen Craigan has claimed.

And after a chance encounter while the Parkhead boss was at Hibs, the pundit isn't surprised that Lennon eventually made a move for one of Scottish football's bright young stars.

Former Motherwell academy coach Craigan was in charge of the Steelmen's youth side for an end-of-season encounter with the Hibees, a team who had plenty of exciting talents of their own led by Scotland defender Ryan Porteous.

But only one player caught Lennon's eye that day despite winning 4-2 and Craigan revealed a hushed post-match exchange when the current Celtic manager asked: "Who's your number 8?"

From then on Turnbull was a prime target and Lennon eventually got his wish this summer when the 21-year-old signed for the champions, one year after a nightmare medical brought the move crashing down."

Need to cut a wee bit of slack here

"
Celtic manager Neil Lennon tracked David Turnbull for over two years by the time he eventually signed for the Hoops, Stephen Craigan has claimed.

And after a chance encounter while the Parkhead boss was at Hibs, the pundit isn't surprised that Lennon eventually made a move for one of Scottish football's bright young stars.

Former Motherwell academy coach Craigan was in charge of the Steelmen's youth side for an end-of-season encounter with the Hibees, a team who had plenty of exciting talents of their own led by Scotland defender Ryan Porteous.

But only one player caught Lennon's eye that day despite winning 4-2 and Craigan revealed a hushed post-match exchange when the current Celtic manager asked: "Who's your number 8?"

From then on Turnbull was a prime target and Lennon eventually got his wish this summer when the 21-year-old signed for the champions, one year after a nightmare medical brought the move crashing down."
So why the hell did Lennon ignore Turnbull for so long after he finally signed him? The player was on fire at Motherwell at the start of the season then was largely left on the sidelines! And if it was the usual Celtic crap about letting a player setyle in then I'm fed up hearing that as it so ofyen fails for us - the easiest and best way to integrate new players is to give them game time so they have something positive to look forward to and they feel like they are positively contributing to the team.

So why the hell did Lennon ignore Turnbull for so long after he finally signed him? The player was on fire at Motherwell at the start of the season then was largely left on the sidelines! And if it was the usual Celtic crap about letting a player setyle in then I'm fed up hearing that as it so ofyen fails for us - the easiest and best way to integrate new players is to give them game time so they have something positive to look forward to and they feel like they are positively contributing to the team.
Lennon claimed at the time Bridie Bhoy that Turnbull was not fit enough to do 90 minutes,but as you said he was on fire with Motherwell,so why all of a sudden does the fire go out,because in my opinion Neil Lennon did not bring him to the club,why did he not play Soro who he worked with everyday and surely must have seen the quality this guy had,because he did not bring him to the club..he definitely did not bring Klimala to Celtic,,Stevie Wonder can see that,,with the amount of game time this Bhoy has had,,if he had brought these Bhoys to the club and left them on the bench he is telling us...I got it wrong,I just spent £9m on 3 Bhoys I dont think are good enough to play for Celtic so I will decorate the bench with them..
We only need to look at the John McGinn scenario when Rogers told him to get McGinn in even if he had to give Hibs their asking price of around £2.75m...£3m,,he cost Celtic around £22m in sell on money,,because of his arrogance thinking Hibs wont tell me what they want I will tell them how much I will pay,,another great move from the highest paid CEO in British football,,strange how we cannot compete with the EFL when it comes to paying big wages,but we are streets ahead in the CEO wages bracket compared to the EFL..

HH.

Agreed BB, lennys reluctance to play the younger players has no doubt contributed to our failings so far this season imo.
I do think it can be very much an Irish thing about giving experience the nod over emerging young talent.
We see this constant within the gaa, but with gaa games been far more physical I can understand it more so.
I am still disappointed at the treatment of young Henderson who really impressed me in the Lille game and yet been no where near the 1st team squad since, and can't be because Christie has been so brilliant, I would not mind one jot if we were to cash in on Christie to give Henderson his opportunity, as I have a feeling he could offer us far more now and certainly more in the long run

Agreed BB, lennys reluctance to play the younger players has no doubt contributed to our failings so far this season imo.
I do think it can be very much an Irish thing about giving experience the nod over emerging young talent.
We see this constant within the gaa, but with gaa games been far more physical I can understand it more so.
I am still disappointed at the treatment of young Henderson who really impressed me in the Lille game and yet been no where near the 1st team squad since, and can't be because Christie has been so brilliant, I would not mind one jot if we were to cash in on Christie to give Henderson his opportunity, as I have a feeling he could offer us far more now and certainly more in the long run
It is a total headscratcher. And as for the treatment of Henderson following his outstanding performance against a strong Lille team? He hasn't made the bench since. What does that do for a young lad's confidence? What messafe does that send out to other fringe players? Even if you come in and give a phenomenal performance it will be for nothing as you'll return to the stand until the next meaningless game.

And those talented youngsters we sign up expecting to be deveoped into stars to move onto the riches of the EPL (even though many fans hate this, it is our viable business model, so we have to accept these players will want to move on after a year or two of success) will not even consider joining us.

It is a total headscratcher. And as for the treatment of Henderson following his outstanding performance against a strong Lille team? He hasn't made the bench since. What does that do for a young lad's confidence? What messafe does that send out to other fringe players? Even if you come in and give a phenomenal performance it will be for nothing as you'll return to the stand until the next meaningless game.

And those talented youngsters we sign up expecting to be deveoped into stars to move onto the riches of the EPL (even though many fans hate this, it is our viable business model, so we have to accept these players will want to move on after a year or two of success) will not even consider joining us.
Agreed BB that decision by lenny could have a deverstating effect upon us

1and a half trebles this time says yes, the question should be should Lenny have been allowed his own coaching team?
I think we all know that we have no divine right to win anything, the only thing that i think should be achieved is finishing at least second & that is because of the amount of money the club generates & spends. So its like its always been apart from a few blips where Aberdeen & Dundee United challenged, its either us or that other mob. I did not expect our season to be over in January, i thought Rangers would be stronger but i expected us to get "10 in a row" over the line.
Thats all finished now and its time to start over, a fresh start, a fresh manager & coaching staff, a complete overhaul of players and policy.
So let me throw this name into the ring, Thomas Frank, the Brentford manager, this team play football the Celtic way, apart from Liverpool they have been another consistently entertaining over the past three seasons & they have lost key players during this period.
HH

I think we all know that we have no divine right to win anything, the only thing that i think should be achieved is finishing at least second & that is because of the amount of money the club generates & spends. So its like its always been apart from a few blips where Aberdeen & Dundee United challenged, its either us or that other mob. I did not expect our season to be over in January, i thought Rangers would be stronger but i expected us to get "10 in a row" over the line.
Thats all finished now and its time to start over, a fresh start, a fresh manager & coaching staff, a complete overhaul of players and policy.
So let me throw this name into the ring, Thomas Frank, the Brentford manager, this team play football the Celtic way, apart from Liverpool they have been another consistently entertaining over the past three seasons & they have lost key players during this period.
HH
All the time Brentford are in the running for premium league it will be a no go as the compensation package would be huge, and a big chance taking someone like him who would be untried at a huge club like ours

Don't buy into the claims that Lawell has any influence over team selections Steviebhoy but 3 examples off the top of my head regarding players being targeted by people other than the Celtic manager......

Marian Shved clearly not a Brendan Rodgers signing given Rodgers' comments when the player arrived.

Julien and Bolingoli not Lenny targets as Lenny himself was quoted as saying the club had been looking at both for a long time and as Lenny was not that long back in the door at Celtic himself then clearly neither were his 'targets'.

Another 2 rumoured to be Lawell signings were Scott Allan who was apparently signed over the head of Ronny Deila and Olivier Ntcham who was recommended to Lawell by his son who worked for Man City at the time. That said I acknowledge the fact that these particular 2 instances were only rumoured to be 'Lawell signings' and there's probably no way to confirm they were for sure.
Add Bayo to that list...

Apologies... In answer to the post... I reckon NO Neil Lennon cannot spot a player. I do not see training so I cannot see what is happening.. But I feel we must move on.. And bring through the young guys.. Ffs.. Duffy . He's one of us.. But so am I... and I am faster (wi a drink).. Were is the s outing... If they aren't better.. Use our own.. Ffs... I don't want to slate Neil or Big Shane....but we ha e to do much much better.... We have 2 good uns... Soro and Turnbull.... But we wasted so much.. Its s HG amefull.. Who is responsible.... Its go to be Lennon

Back