Carl Starfelt appreciation thread

I like Starfish...he has spiwit, he's good coming out of defense with the ball..he will get better..I'm certain
He’s playing on the wrong side of the defence
So being asked to play ange ball coming inside on your sand wedge is much more difficult

Last edited:
Must admit this whole nonsense surrounding Starfelt has taken the shine off winning our first trophy under Ange somewhat imo.
Think some may be living in the past of last season still.
How many CB pairings did we go through last season and still couldn't get one we felt comfortable with?
Yet we have already had a good few pairings at CB and our most used pairing of CCV and Starfelt has now made us the best defensive team in Scotland now, and still remain unhappy? Struggling with it tbh.
When we concede a goal, we seem to want to look for scapegoats, yet when there mistakes happen we are prepared to turn a blind eye especially depending upon who is at fault, but Starfelt doesn't get that grace of freedom from criticism still.
1st half yesterday, nessbit was a non existence and with snuffing him out made Boyle also non existent, but was any credit handed to Starfelt for that?
Set plays are always going to be a problem for us with the mib's we have against, especially if our players get to tight, the opposition player goes to ground looking for the penalty.
The option seems to have changed from the zonal marking to stick with your runner without getting to tight, but that is also dangerous if the opposition player gets the run on you especially when he has the advantage of knowing where the delivery of the ball is hopefully going to.
Team's generally work hard upon set plays, where we remain at a huge disadvantage due to the mib's we have to put up with.
How some are saying hibs deserved a pen is also beyond me, very hard for a defender to cover a run when the attacking player is trying to buy a penalty. As I saw it hibs player suddenly stops and Starfelt puts his hand upon to stop himself going through the back of him then these things can happen especially when the Hibs player had no intention of actually trying to go for the ball whatsoever.
This is a tactic hun scum have been using and getting the decisions in there favour so is it any wonder other teams try to copy such a tactic, especially when we are never going to get such decisions in our favour.
Angeball also involves trying to win the ball back quickly, and one of Starfelt strengths has been not allowing the opposition forward to hold a ball up and bring other players into play by nicking the ball from them and getting us back on the front foot again but has gone fairly unnoticed to date.
Yes his last 2 games have been reasonably poor but Welsh should get the opportunity to prove his worth of keeping hold of the position and nothing suggests that he can't, even though I wouldn't remain totally convinced by Welsh at defending set plays against us, but looks very useful at attacking them more so.
Yet Ange has opted for Starfelt as his 1st choice LCB with Welsh 2nd atm, but we have also seen Ange will give the young player the opportunity to retain his position if he can convince Ange he deserves to be 1st choice.
As for the RCH, CCV has made that position his own so far and Jules has a huge task on his hands to regain his position and yet we have never seen either CCV or Jules play in the LCB role, so remains fairly unlikely for that potential partnership to ever develop as of yet.
Some have also thrown value for money into the equation, well just leave you with a thought, is Ajer really worth 3 times as much in value? As it certainly ain't 3 times as good, if even better than Starfelt imo

Did think starfelt was coming onto his game but Sunday he did have a nightmare, think scales should be given a chance, when I have seen him he looks good, bit of a baller, might be able to make the runs into midfield like ajer used to do. At least give him a go.

Did think starfelt was coming onto his game but Sunday he did have a nightmare, think scales should be given a chance, when I have seen him he looks good, bit of a baller, might be able to make the runs into midfield like ajer used to do. At least give him a go.
Scales might play midweek if wee Taylors heavy ankle knock (from McGinn the moaner)is a concern. Starfelt will be suspended midweek so we might see Scales Welsh Vickers and or Juranovic/Ralston back four

Scales might play midweek if wee Taylors heavy ankle knock (from McGinn the moaner)is a concern. Starfelt will be suspended midweek so we might see Scales Welsh Vickers and or Juranovic/Ralston back four
Like to see a back 4 of Ralston CCV Welsh Juranovic at Paisley midweek. Leave Scales on the bench, his time will come soon enough.👍

Also from above John No great post 👍👍

I can forgive errors, anyone can make them. But that push on Porteous at the end was stupid. It could have easily been a penalty. If we had VAR it would have.
I'd rather appreciate CCV. Who is actually a very good defender.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but when it turns to abuse and obsessive abuse at that, then it comes to a time called stop. There were several players yesterday who were poor, but a lot of them were playing in their first major cup final for Celtic and all the pressure that comes with that. So its only natural that they were nervous. Certain players annoy people at times and I'm no different, but jaysus we've just won our first trophy under a new manager who we all thought would take a year to get any sort of result out of a completely overhauled squad. It's nothin short of a small miracle and whether people like it or not, starfelt played his part in winning that trophy.
They can't wait till he does something wrong now he's the one ange singing they have targeted being a defender any mistakes are unmissable but as others have said all CB'S make mistakes even the greats did its just a way fir these pricks to have a dig at us

Sone arsehole on the football podcast(I think) his names George mcgibbon supposedly according to him the gaffer shud be dropping starfelt against the saints because he was a bit shaky and to prove that no-one is undroppable 🤢🤮🤮

Aye, some fans & pundits think they're expert's of the beautiful game, when really all they do is babble 💩. Starfelt has only been at the club 5 months, he just settling in & having tae get used tae Ange ball, different country,culture etc.

Yes he's had his moments, when you think wtf is he doing, but some of the criticism he gets is way over the top, support the guy.

As for the pair of fannies Craigian & Stewart, how many medals huv yees got? FUCK ALL

At the minute we have no other options only Welsh or bitton. I like Welsh, but he is also prone to the odd calamity, but doesn't seem to get the starfelt treatment. We get the usual "he's only a young lad".
Bitton is playing well at the minute in midfield, so would be wasted in defence, but he is also prone to a stupid mistake. Even jullien was capable of mistakes.
Welsh has his chance now against st mirren so hopefully he can step up. Nobody's perfect. Not even Vigo!!!

At the minute we have no other options only Welsh or bitton. I like Welsh, but he is also prone to the odd calamity, but doesn't seem to get the starfelt treatment. We get the usual "he's only a young lad".
Bitton is playing well at the minute in midfield, so would be wasted in defence, but he is also prone to a stupid mistake. Even jullien was capable of mistakes.
Welsh has his chance now against st mirren so hopefully he can step up. Nobody's perfect. Not even Vigo!!!
We have to also take into account Deadner that Starfelt is at the highest level and biggest club he could ever have expected to play at, and has also signed for the long term also.
In the price bracket we operate in and looking for the experience to handle such of the demands we expect from our players then I will still claim we haven't done to bad still.
Also having to play a player out of his favoured position, like josip has also done, shows me great character in the players, something that was hugely missing last season.
Like I said before, I would currently give the nod to Starfelt ahead of Welsh (who I also like as a player) and yet both have plenty of room for improvement, but that is hardly going to be achieved if we continue with being upon players back's.
At this stage I worry that some might be wishing for Welsh to fuck up to prove a point or visa versa.
It's been a joy to watch celtic mostly this season for which every player has contributed so far, with some more so than others, yet I don't believe any of them should be signaled out atm and that even includes Boli.
I personally wouldn't have been bothered if Ralston, Rogic and Bitton were shown the door in the summer as I didn't see what they could have offered us in going forward, so what a fuck up that would have turned out to be

Members online

Latest posts

Back