CCV

Medical science has moved on since the 50-60’s players and doctors take more care, players are club assets, with some player’s costing £350 million, they have better knowledge nowadays, back in the day a player was finished at 30, now it’s 35-37
Sports science wasn’t even a thing back then, even right up to the late 80’s players were getting blootered every night, team bus used to stop at a fish and chip shop on the way home, washed down with 1/2 dozen cans, nowadays it’s all isotonic drinks ,chicken and pasta…….makes you wonder how much better the lions would have been if the didn’t “abuse” their bodies to the extent we now know they did 🤷‍♂️
BB
What a load of tosh first of all can do with out the lecture about modern day players I know all that
If you read my post it was O M O (only my opinion) Games changed like everything in life nothing stays the same then we all move on apart from referees in this country of ours

Absolutely M
I am old enough to remember them days Late 50s/early 60s
players like John Cushly,John,MacNamee,John Kurila, Big Billy and many more , cold wet sponge, right up and get on with it,know I sound
like a old Dinosaur and it is different times but I as I said before they were the days of Wooden Ships and Iron men nowadays Iron Ships and Wooden men. Length of time big JUDY has been out in my eyes is shocking well again omo
it’s as I see football now ,the term (plastic football players)comes to mind or Mollycoddled
Well I suppose that’s the modern way as I say omo
A lot of them seem to have chocolate hamstrings as well

Maeda was confirmed over a week ago by his old Japanese club. His loan deal automatically became permanent this summer.

I think Jota is pretty much a done deal too (I know, I know).

It is wonderful for the second window in a row we are getting in players early so they are more settled and integrated into the squad BEFORE the season starts.
Aye and I already knew about maeda , mustve been the excitement 🤣 and now Kewell is joing the staff .
Another good sign , means ange getting to build his backroom team probably wasnt time for that or board waited to see how he got on with the " assets" 🤔 in place.
A good laptop is always an asset haha

BB
What a load of tosh first of all can do with out the lecture about modern day players I know all that
If you read my post it was O M O (only my opinion) Games changed like everything in life nothing stays the same then we all move on apart from referees in this country of ours
What do you think was tosh Chub51?
I thought he pretty much made an accurate statement.

What do you think was tosh Chub51?
I thought he pretty much made an accurate statement.
First of all as I said it was OMO,I was making a statement of the footballers nowadays they get all the best treatments available and rightfully so
Although I said I was a old dinosaur I felt as if you thought I no knowledge of modern conditions for footballers as I said I know all that.
I’m talking about hard players in they days, Hense the term Plastic Players

Apparently CCV deal worth £10million (6 up front + 4 in addons). Would make him the most expensive Celtic signing; so far. If the record is broken again to land Jota I'm all for it; money more-than-well spent on both fronts.
Imagine the effect on broke-arsed, broken-hearted record staff and 'readers'

Hear that strain
On the air
It's the lovely sound
Of Billys in despair

Oh can ye hear
Oh can ye see
The Celts will
Have Jota and CCV

Apparently CCV deal worth £10million (6 up front + 4 in addons). Would make him the most expensive Celtic signing; so far. If the record is broken again to land Jota I'm all for it; money more-than-well spent on both fronts.
Imagine the effect on broke-arsed, broken-hearted record staff and 'readers'

Hear that strain
On the air
It's the lovely sound
Of Billys in despair

Oh can ye hear
Oh can ye see
The Celts will
Have Jota and CCV
I'd say that was excellent value in today's crazy market. I don't have to worry about P&L spreadsheets for Celtic FC - there are some highly paid professionals at the club who worry about what we can afford - I care about what the team do and achieve.

I'd rather we invested in fewer higher quality players than wasting £10s millions on "projects" that fail more often than not.

I'd also rather spend sensibly on players rather than overpay our privileged board members high bonuses for making huge profits due to not investing in new players to try to advance further in Europe.

Although I want us to be sensible in our business decisions, I personally get a lot more enjoyment watching Celtic play exciting football and winning trophies than reading reports of huge profits left to sit in our bank account.

First of all as I said it was OMO,I was making a statement of the footballers nowadays they get all the best treatments available and rightfully so
Although I said I was a old dinosaur I felt as if you thought I no knowledge of modern conditions for footballers as I said I know all that.
I’m talking about hard players in they days, Hense the term Plastic Players
No not at all chub51 was I questioning your fitba knowledge and I havent read you're post.
You're opinions as valid as anyone else's all I meant was BB imo made a valid point.
I was referring to sports science , player welfare etc , something Ange is ( finally) introducing at Celtic.
If you felt that I was insinuating your knowledge of the game is less than anyone else's then please accept my apology for that wasnt what I was saying at all ✌🏻

Edit: my reasoning for saying that I think BB made a valid point was that Ange is introducing sports science and player welfare to Celtic.
We are way behind the times in these departments , so much that our manager after 1 season is insisting on it.
Had it been in place already Celtic and indeed Scotland may well still have a fit and healthy leigh Griffiths who should be in his prime as a striker at his age.
It's easy to forget that most players are just kids really , in their 20s and in this more liberal day in age that's still a kid such is todays society.
Add to that the amount of cash and lack of spare time to spend that cash wisely and you end up with gambling addicts and mental health is known to be a real problem in todays game .
Players are younger than yesteryear and much much richer.
Giving these kids over £10k per week and leaving them to their own devices is unwise and asking for trouble.
At Celtic these kids dont and havent had the best treatment available , not compared to other top European clubs, if they had Griffiths might still be playing at Celtic.
I believe this was the point BB was trying to make as I understood it.

Last edited:
Regardless of CCV actually signing up for us, I still believe that there is still room for another CB to be added to the squad still imo.
Jules may well have lost some pace since the injury which could well make him a liability within the back line.
Scales is still untried in a CB role, even if I think he might be useful in the role, Ange may well have other ideas.
Still remain unsure how Ange actually rates Welsh still, but seems to be lacking confidence within the system of play Ange likes to play imo.
So still a place available to increase competition for a starting role and allows for rotation and covers any injuries still.
Just remain unsure how much we would be prepared to invest

Regardless of CCV actually signing up for us, I still believe that there is still room for another CB to be added to the squad still imo.
Jules may well have lost some pace since the injury which could well make him a liability within the back line.
Scales is still untried in a CB role, even if I think he might be useful in the role, Ange may well have other ideas.
Still remain unsure how Ange actually rates Welsh still, but seems to be lacking confidence within the system of play Ange likes to play imo.
So still a place available to increase competition for a starting role and allows for rotation and covers any injuries still.
Just remain unsure how much we would be prepared to invest
I'm concerned at the rumours of Scales signing permanently for Aberdeen.
I'd be shocked if we were to let jules go without getting something back on the huge outlay we paid for him.
I think jules has the ability to force his way back into the managers plans as well, its down to jules to want to fight for it as it wont be handed to him on past glories, and if he gets back to the player he was then CCV and jules would be great for depth in quality.
Scales should only be on loan unless Ange has seen enough and decided against it I wont argue against it because it means (just as he said) hes intent on improving the quality over quantity.
I'd tend to agree with you as well on Welsh and right now It would appear that Ange isnt too bothered about the youth team, yet.
I think perhaps he wants to establish Celtic as regular heavy hitters in Europe first with only proven quality coming in at this early stage of the rebuild and it is still early days.
This might dismay many if this is the approach as a club of our stature should be, as we always have done, be bringing through players from our academy.
If the approach is to be consolidation through acquiring real quality talent first and then turn attention to the academy I wont argue against it if it brings success.
Imo it's much more than a LCB we require and Ange hasnt promoted anyone from the academy, in fact hes let many go.
That theory would seem to go against what Ange has said previously of the youth players and route to the first team but if they arent good enough they have to go , make room for the next one.
Whatever's best for Celtic, is the right way and In Ange we trust .
I just have to keep reminding myself of how early into this reboot we are.
I'm sure if anyone can get it right , the balance between first team ready acquisitions and bringing through youth, Ange is the man to do it .

I'm concerned at the rumours of Scales signing permanently for Aberdeen.
I'd be shocked if we were to let jules go without getting something back on the huge outlay we paid for him.
I think jules has the ability to force his way back into the managers plans as well, its down to jules to want to fight for it as it wont be handed to him on past glories, and if he gets back to the player he was then CCV and jules would be great for depth in quality.
Scales should only be on loan unless Ange has seen enough and decided against it I wont argue against it because it means (just as he said) hes intent on improving the quality over quantity.
I'd tend to agree with you as well on Welsh and right now It would appear that Ange isnt too bothered about the youth team, yet.
I think perhaps he wants to establish Celtic as regular heavy hitters in Europe first with only proven quality coming in at this early stage of the rebuild and it is still early days.
This might dismay many if this is the approach as a club of our stature should be, as we always have done, be bringing through players from our academy.
If the approach is to be consolidation through acquiring real quality talent first and then turn attention to the academy I wont argue against it if it brings success.
Imo it's much more than a LCB we require and Ange hasnt promoted anyone from the academy, in fact hes let many go.
That theory would seem to go against what Ange has said previously of the youth players and route to the first team but if they arent good enough they have to go , make room for the next one.
Whatever's best for Celtic, is the right way and In Ange we trust .
I just have to keep reminding myself of how early into this reboot we are.
I'm sure if anyone can get it right , the balance between first team ready acquisitions and bringing through youth, Ange is the man to do it .
Not so sure about Jules these days winter as we haven't seen anything as such of him since his injury still, and never seen him in a left sided CB role either, so remains as a call between Jules and Welsh as back up to CCV in the right sided CB position imo and think Welsh edges that role imo as given him the left sided CB position was a bit unfair upon him last season, I believe.
Agreed about scales, but could be a toss up between him and Murray at present for a back up to Starfelt, but yet both might not be to the required standard Ange is wanting still, so Murray might hold the advantage still, as hopefully a loan move is in the offering for him this season to help with his development, and same could be said of scales still yet.
Still leaves that left sided CB role open for possibly someone else to challenge for a starting position still and decent as a back up.
Think any such decisions will be made upon the assessment upon the injury to Starfelt, and still no news upon it still, which is bit of a surprise also

Not so sure about Jules these days winter as we haven't seen anything as such of him since his injury still, and never seen him in a left sided CB role either, so remains as a call between Jules and Welsh as back up to CCV in the right sided CB position imo and think Welsh edges that role imo as given him the left sided CB position was a bit unfair upon him last season, I believe.
Agreed about scales, but could be a toss up between him and Murray at present for a back up to Starfelt, but yet both might not be to the required standard Ange is wanting still, so Murray might hold the advantage still, as hopefully a loan move is in the offering for him this season to help with his development, and same could be said of scales still yet.
Still leaves that left sided CB role open for possibly someone else to challenge for a starting position still and decent as a back up.
Think any such decisions will be made upon the assessment upon the injury to Starfelt, and still no news upon it still, which is bit of a surprise also
Also johnno, Scales and Murray , I felt that both impressed early in the season when we needed them both stepped up to the mark and neither let us down and I'd include The Big ' O' in that as well , thought he was impressive in the victory over Betis.
If Scales is let go permanently then it would come as a bit of a shock to me , young goalscoring defender.
It would also show that Ange is ruthless and that's a good thing, for all who love Celtic and the players themselves as they are moved on quickly if Ange reckons, seen enough, good but not good enough for this club , doubt you will be either in time so we wont waste anyones time thank you and good luck with your next club.
That kind of management is the reason why our squads been overly bloated for too long.
It's also exciting for us to see what calibre of players replace them and will surely serve as a warning and an inspiration for the rest of the squad both senior and youth.
The manager expects his players to be up to speed and within a time frame or that's you had your chance.
We need this kind of ruthlessness, no point in holding onto , granted, talented players just not at the level of talent the manager insists upon.
High standards indeed and as it should be.
We know Ange expects his players to train as they would play so if in training they are not doing it then how can he expect them to do it when called upon.
Ruthless but exactly what weve been lacking in times past.
Players like Kouassi , Benyu etc were obviously not going to cut it at Celtic but were on the books far too long.
Less of that and more of the Abada, kyogo, GG , CCV etc and good management.

Also johnno, Scales and Murray , I felt that both impressed early in the season when we needed them both stepped up to the mark and neither let us down and I'd include The Big ' O' in that as well , thought he was impressive in the victory over Betis.
If Scales is let go permanently then it would come as a bit of a shock to me , young goalscoring defender.
It would also show that Ange is ruthless and that's a good thing, for all who love Celtic and the players themselves as they are moved on quickly if Ange reckons, seen enough, good but not good enough for this club , doubt you will be either in time so we wont waste anyones time thank you and good luck with your next club.
That kind of management is the reason why our squads been overly bloated for too long.
It's also exciting for us to see what calibre of players replace them and will surely serve as a warning and an inspiration for the rest of the squad both senior and youth.
The manager expects his players to be up to speed and within a time frame or that's you had your chance.
We need this kind of ruthlessness, no point in holding onto , granted, talented players just not at the level of talent the manager insists upon.
High standards indeed and as it should be.
We know Ange expects his players to train as they would play so if in training they are not doing it then how can he expect them to do it when called upon.
Ruthless but exactly what weve been lacking in times past.
Players like Kouassi , Benyu etc were obviously not going to cut it at Celtic but were on the books far too long.
Less of that and more of the Abada, kyogo, GG , CCV etc and good management.
I wouldn't use the term ruthless winter, prefer to think that the club is now taking a much better way of actually running, which in turn brings about more success in the future.
For years there was more of a plan in place for bringing in project signings and being able to sell at a huge profit, and still bought much success at domestic level, yet still struggled to keep enough team unity together to really challenge within European football still imo.
Already a standard has been set by Ange, and with room for improvement still, so you would like to think that in future player recruitment will be better than what you had before, like most decent teams like to do.
Already so many of the players bought in have increased hugely in value, which will increase far higher with decent showings in European football still, with keeping the consistent displays within the Scottish league also, a requirement or Ange and what the scum and its followers within the media still like to overlook.
The way the club became to be run with PL meant far to much money being wasted on recruitment or players and only being aided and disguised with the profit being made with the ones who moved on with a big profit.
The gap still remains way to big still between lowland league and the 1st team and very little chance of that gap ever getting reduced within Scottish football still sadly.
Would like to think at some time that we could get a u23 playing within England to give these youngsters a better and fairer chance to develop that is currently on offer to them at present, even if it remains a long shot still.

I wouldn't use the term ruthless winter, prefer to think that the club is now taking a much better way of actually running, which in turn brings about more success in the future.
For years there was more of a plan in place for bringing in project signings and being able to sell at a huge profit, and still bought much success at domestic level, yet still struggled to keep enough team unity together to really challenge within European football still imo.
Already a standard has been set by Ange, and with room for improvement still, so you would like to think that in future player recruitment will be better than what you had before, like most decent teams like to do.
Already so many of the players bought in have increased hugely in value, which will increase far higher with decent showings in European football still, with keeping the consistent displays within the Scottish league also, a requirement or Ange and what the scum and its followers within the media still like to overlook.
The way the club became to be run with PL meant far to much money being wasted on recruitment or players and only being aided and disguised with the profit being made with the ones who moved on with a big profit.
The gap still remains way to big still between lowland league and the 1st team and very little chance of that gap ever getting reduced within Scottish football still sadly.
Would like to think at some time that we could get a u23 playing within England to give these youngsters a better and fairer chance to develop that is currently on offer to them at present, even if it remains a long shot still.
Meh! Prefer the term 'ruthless' personally maself.
Making Maeda run across the Pacific to sign a permanent contract halfway through international duty is pretty ruthless I think 🤣
Seriously though, the English chairmen and boards wont have it, any talk of any Celtic or sevco or Scottish clubs playing in England is a non starter .
Even at u23 level both clubs are considered as another obstacle to their own ambitions sadly.
Even entering at conference level , outside of the top 8 clubs who seem to welcome the idea and the extra windfall our presence brings the rest are dead set against it.
I cant say I blame the likes of clubs such as Bournemouth, Middlesbrough, charlton, Wigan wanting to share any of their huge ' losers paycheck ' .
We need only look at what gretna did here in a few seasons , successive promotions all the way to the top tier and cup finalists from switching over from conference level .
Clubs like Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Arbroath etc would not want a repeat of that as it hampers their own chances of promotion.
They wont even allow our youth team to play in division 2 and that's with no promotion on offer for the youth teams of the Glasgow and Edinburgh sides.
Greed is the motivating factor.
I think it more likely that we could perhaps see a return of a british cup of sorts at some point.
We are seeing the seeds of that idea with the challenge cup and what it meant to connah's quay to win it.
Once that happened the English put some lower tier clubs in there , Salford I'm sure took part.
Forget their old arses , was a different story when English clubs were banned from european competition and we agreed to have a british cup for the years they were absent from Europe but only clubs in Scotland who failed to qualify for Europe could take part.
Texaco cup oldco took part in that once or twice in the 80s when oldco were playing in front of 5,000 supporters and languishing in 6th place they were so shoite that the fans deserted them.
If TV put up a decent cash flow it would happen , money always talks and I'm sure the fans would prefer to do away with the Fa trophy competition for a cross border tourney if even only in alternating seasons.
Until money says so though and as much as fans both sides of the borders are for it I cant see it happening sadly.

Meh! Prefer the term 'ruthless' personally maself.
Making Maeda run across the Pacific to sign a permanent contract halfway through international duty is pretty ruthless I think 🤣
Seriously though, the English chairmen and boards wont have it, any talk of any Celtic or sevco or Scottish clubs playing in England is a non starter .
Even at u23 level both clubs are considered as another obstacle to their own ambitions sadly.
Even entering at conference level , outside of the top 8 clubs who seem to welcome the idea and the extra windfall our presence brings the rest are dead set against it.
I cant say I blame the likes of clubs such as Bournemouth, Middlesbrough, charlton, Wigan wanting to share any of their huge ' losers paycheck ' .
We need only look at what gretna did here in a few seasons , successive promotions all the way to the top tier and cup finalists from switching over from conference level .
Clubs like Dunfermline, Edinburgh, Arbroath etc would not want a repeat of that as it hampers their own chances of promotion.
They wont even allow our youth team to play in division 2 and that's with no promotion on offer for the youth teams of the Glasgow and Edinburgh sides.
Greed is the motivating factor.
I think it more likely that we could perhaps see a return of a british cup of sorts at some point.
We are seeing the seeds of that idea with the challenge cup and what it meant to connah's quay to win it.
Once that happened the English put some lower tier clubs in there , Salford I'm sure took part.
Forget their old arses , was a different story when English clubs were banned from european competition and we agreed to have a british cup for the years they were absent from Europe but only clubs in Scotland who failed to qualify for Europe could take part.
Texaco cup oldco took part in that once or twice in the 80s when oldco were playing in front of 5,000 supporters and languishing in 6th place they were so shoite that the fans deserted them.
If TV put up a decent cash flow it would happen , money always talks and I'm sure the fans would prefer to do away with the Fa trophy competition for a cross border tourney if even only in alternating seasons.
Until money says so though and as much as fans both sides of the borders are for it I cant see it happening sadly.
Ange like any manager gets paid to make huge decisions and fair enough that they can be deemed as ruthless winter as his job is on the line depending upon his decision making.
We have been treated to not having to question any decision Ange has made to date and long may that continue also.
Yet the bar has already been set which is an amazing feat already with the quality assembled in such a short space of time, and the 2nd phase of this rebuild is already well under way with the permanent signings of
CCV and meada.
Now regarding CCV with us investing up to 10M and rightly so, then that is a position cemented down for the foreseeable now at only been a 24 year old also.
So the only question remains is who will be the back up for CCV? and also with the potential to reach his standard to potentially challenge for his position?
No one is at that standard yet and that includes Jules also imo now, so Welsh gets it at present imo, yet we still have liewel coming through and some great reports about him already.
So Ange possibly is already facing a decision about what does he do with liewel?
Is he already at a standard to act as an understudy for CCV?
Try to find a club to loan him out with plenty of game time to help his development, yet still very young still?
And this is a young player going into the 2nd year of a 3 year contract I believe and of course whatever decision Ange makes upon liewel will potentially have a knock on affect upon the future of Welsh also, and with all that in mind, I don't see a future for Jules now.
The left side of the defence is nowhere near as straight forward as the right side at present.
Scales seems nowhere near challenging Taylor at present and as good as Taylor was last season, I still believe that there is room for improvement upon Taylor still and still would like to have Taylor within our squad still, yet have we got any young player coming through who could potentially challenge Taylor for his position with not getting any game time at a decent enough standard still to make that challenge a reality for them still?
Weather you like starfelt or not, he still remains by far our best option as a partner for CCV as last season proved.
Yet who is the potential understudy for an injured starfelt? Could well be Murray now if Ange is prepared to let scales go, yet would Murray be ready if starfelt is a potential long term injury?
The solution would be to potentially look for another left sided CB, which would please many of the starfelt dislikers, would make sense to have competition for a starting role and even if we were to get a better option than starfelt, then starfelt becomes your automatic replacement for CCV and whoever with been able to play either side in a CB partnership, pushing the likes of Welsh, liewel, Scales and Murray further down the pecking order for even getting a role within the squad as such imo.
That is only the defence, yet you struggle to see where any young player could break into the squad at present within the midfield and forwards, and young Moffat springs to mind straight away. What chances does he really have at present with the quality ahead of him and the standards set now, without anything on offer to help with his potential development still?
I know it's an issue I keep on about, but believe that a tradition of bringing through our youngsters to fulfil the dreams of wearing the hoops is sadly been lost nowadays with calmac and Forrest becoming the potential last of keeping that tradition going as such.
Always felt that tradition was a huge tribute towards what the lion's achieved, but a tradition that is sadly getting lost within todays game all the same imo.
No way is any fault going to be associated with Ange for this demise as it has already been in place for years now.
Ange is a brilliant manager and has already set a seriously high bar already of the standard of player our club now demands, yet still nothing in place to protect that tradition that we still thrive upon still, and that saddens me hugely still, but such are the demands of the modern game with the amount of money involved nowadays.

Members online

Latest posts

Back