Celtic chief executive Peter Lawwell to stand down at end of season

I for one am glad lawwell is gone. All the "he over saw this trophy and that trophy" doesn't mean he deserves any praise. The players and managers achieved the medals and trophies. He had the easiest job in the world and he fucked it. Biggest club in scotland with a worldwide fan base.
What he did oversee was massive corruption going on in the game. For a CEO of a "company" to not see what your biggest rivals are up to when it was so blatant is in, my opinion, negligent. Hopefully the new guy, who is clean of all the nonsense surrounding the mighty "old firm" comes in and takes us in our own direction without feeling the need to have sevco dragging us to their level........mind you, are the rugby folk not all posh privately educated chaps who look down on football. Hopefully he hasn't got that funny handshake thing going on.

Be careful what you wish for everyone..... hopefully the guy can do something a bit different but what can he do thats so dramatically radical to what Lawwell did given they constraints they have to work under??
Not being negative, just a bit of pessimism....
The Huns will be celebrating this too as they see Lawwell as the man who runs the game in Scotland.... personally I think it will exactly the same .
Celtic will not change until Desmond is removed and a fan led board is in place

Be careful what you wish for everyone..... hopefully the guy can do something a bit different but what can he do thats so dramatically radical to what Lawwell did given they constraints they have to work under??
The Huns will be celebrating this too as they see Lawwell as the man who runs the game in Scotland
What we wish for is a guy that does his job to the best of his ability not other peoples job's too. I'd be happy if the new guy focused on business and let the football people run football matters
It's likely the saving on CEO wages is in the millions too
i note that Peter leaves in June, perhaps a sign that we will be looking to get our business done early before he goes, ahead of the CL qualification programme..... for a change

What we wish for is a guy that does his job to the best of his ability not other peoples job's too. I'd be happy if the new guy focused on business and let the football people run football matters
It's likely the saving on CEO wages is in the millions too
i note that Peter leaves in June, perhaps a sign that we will be looking to get our business done early before he goes, ahead of the CL qualification programme..... for a change

That all sounds ideal but ImO, he is just dessies puppet...they all will be...The way our club is structured is the real problem....for ever Lawwell, there is 1000 more waiting in the wings with exactly the same corporate MO and jargon...I hope I'm wrong but I doubt it

Last edited:
Have you read Dermot's statement, how do we get that cunt to sell up and leavr
I for one am glad lawwell is gone. All the "he over saw this trophy and that trophy" doesn't mean he deserves any praise. The players and managers achieved the medals and trophies. He had the easiest job in the world and he fucked it. Biggest club in scotland with a worldwide fan base.
What he did oversee was massive corruption going on in the game. For a CEO of a "company" to not see what your biggest rivals are up to when it was so blatant is in, my opinion, negligent. Hopefully the new guy, who is clean of all the nonsense surrounding the mighty "old firm" comes in and takes us in our own direction without feeling the need to have sevco dragging us to their level........mind you, are the rugby folk not all posh privately educated chaps who look down on football. Hopefully he hasn't got that funny handshake thing going on.
Well the new guy is from Glasgow, surname Mckay and was involved with rugby.
Sounds like a hun to me 🤣🤣

Lawwell has been sacrificed to spare the board ( DD ! ) any more criticism and to safeguard the Season Ticket monies for next year .

DD is still pulling the strings :

Did he show ANY disquiet at the direction in which the club was going under Lawwell ?
Did he show ANY embarrassment at the failures on the European scene in recent years ?
Did he show ANY concern at the complete lack of action by the club over Res. 12 ?
Did he show ANY concern when Rodgers left the club under circumstances that should have raised serious issues about the CEO's position ?
Did he take ANY action to expose the complete lack of financial accountability being displayed by the SFA over the Zombie Klub ?

HH

For me I'm not a fan of long notice periods. Ok I appreciate it's an important job and there has to be some, but a lot of damage can be done in the meantime. Its a bit like the crazy USA situation where the outgoing President is not kicked out of office for 2 months. Look at the damage Trump did.
So this is another bad decision for me. If you're going to make sweeping changes do it swiftly, pay whoever their notice in full, say thanks very much but theres the door. Get the new man in, if he's up to the job he will hit the ground running. Maybe this is the case but as soon as the announcement was made PL should make no more decisions concerning CFC. Not even the colour of the bog paper.

The Huns will be celebrating this too as they see Lawwell as the man who runs the game in Scotland.... personally I think it will exactly the same .
Celtic will not change until Desmond is removed and a fan led board is in place
Docco , bang on mate , I thought there would have been hundreds of posts on here celebrating his departure but like you , be careful what we wish for , Lawell was the most powerful man in Scottish football , he is gone, who knows what the new guy will be like , if he is another puppet , nothing will change

For me I'm not a fan of long notice periods. Ok I appreciate it's an important job and there has to be some, but a lot of damage can be done in the meantime. Its a bit like the crazy USA situation where the outgoing President is not kicked out of office for 2 months. Look at the damage Trump did.
So this is another bad decision for me. If you're going to make sweeping changes do it swiftly, pay whoever their notice in full, say thanks very much but theres the door. Get the new man in, if he's up to the job he will hit the ground running. Maybe this is the case but as soon as the announcement was made PL should make no more decisions concerning CFC. Not even the colour of the bog paper.
Dermot likes the new guy to shadow the guy leaving, to get a feel for his new role

From reading Celtic Star article
Dominic McKay, who is a season ticket holder at the club, is proud to be appointed to lead the club he has supported all his life.

I'm not going to have a go at the guy as he will get the opportunity to be judged by his own actions and performance but it gave me the fear to read this.

Is this another Lennon type, no other candidate considered appointment ?

On one hand, it's good to have someone who knows the club as a supporter, but is he a supporter that has hob-knobbed with the current regime for a lengthy period of time and will fall into a seamless this is how we do things here strategy

Hopefully he's a supporter like the rest of us mere mortals and understands the current apathy towards that regime

Don’t think the new guy will be picking players... if he was a egg chaser.
CEO should be there to provide the best funds for the football side, and leave the football side to the football management.

I hope there is a change in the pay structure- bonus for champions league group stage qualification while in profit rather than just a bonus for profit. I feel this would be a huge step forward for the club and would push the club to greater sporting achievements.
Should be good when Tom English tries to interview him a man who knows more about rugby than that clown has watched. Appears we have a marketing man who knows that to maximise profit you have to give the customer what he wants within reason and ability to provide.

I think McKay is on decent money at Scottish Rugby, so likely to be on similar terms at Celtic as the departing Lawwell. That's big money for a football CEO, so we have to hope he proves worth it. Further downsizing is going to kill the club, it's just not sustainable, so let's hope he has a better plan than the one we've relied upon for the last 17 years. I wish the McKay all the best, we need him to succeed.

Back