Celtic Great Remembered

On this day 88 years ago
Farewell my darling Johnny,
Prince of players we must part,
No more we'll stand and cheer you,
On the slopes of Celtic Park.

View attachment 4264

John Thomson died 75 years to the day that my father passed 5/9/31 and 5/9/2006 respectively

Whe my grandparents and father relocated from Aberdeen to Glasgow in 1948 they took up residence in a flat at 6 Harrison Dr just off of Copland Rd about 50 yards from Stairway 13 at Ibrox I believe that this was the end of the Stadium where our keeper was fatally injured

I recall my father telling me when he was a boy of about 15 my grandmother took in a parcel for Harold Davis a Rangers striker at the time who lived in a Rangers Club flat on the floor above them

When my dad came home from workl my gran sent him up to hand in the parcel

Davis invited my dad in and he said that EVERYTHING was painted Red White and Blue

Being from Aberdeen my father had no real interest in Rangers and I always found it rather a strange place for the family to choose to reside although my grandfather who was a baker worked for Lyons who had a large bakery in the Ibrox area

My dad's brother in law who was a few years older was a goal keeper and was supposed to sign for Hibs on 1st September 1939 but instead was called up for WW2 although he did play as a guest for both West Ham and Coventry while waiting to be demobbed

For his 80th birthday I bought him a book about John Thomson although he didn't follow Celtic again being from Aberdeen

I asked him 1 day if he'd ever seen Thomson play He said only once when he was about 12 years old so this would have been in 1931 in a match at Pittodrie so this wouldn't have been long before the Prince of Keepers died so tragically

My uncle said that Thomson used to jump so high for crosses that he swore that his waist was level with the crossbar

RIP both Dad and John Thomson

HH?

Last edited:
Poignant story in Celtics history ,both articles from Celtic star do it justice well done bhoys

Was trying to remember the album the song was on ,my brothers used to play it that's when i first heard the song and the Johnny Thomson story
I had these two records (below) as a very young pre-school bhoy. It was certainly on the Holy Ground of Glasgow Celtic.

Holy Ground of Glasgow Celtic.jpg
Glasgow Celtic The Champions.jpg

Back