Celtic, Our Transfer Market Performance from the 2010/11 season until Present Day

Winning Captains

Administrator
Staff member
An interesting article WC.
Alarming stat of going through 102 youngsters with so many del boy signings tells us just how poor our scouting and coaching set up really is.
Think we may be in for one of our busiest summers in years and with the current set up that looks a very bleak prospect.
Our coaching set needs to improve drastically in order to maintain a set up where younger players can make that step up to 1st team level, an area we can't boast about to loudly in recent times.
Lenny has and will remain a disaster in this area as we have seen he is only interested in experienced players that has cost us a fortune without any return.
We still have plenty to offer in terms of developing players only if we can get the right coaching set up in place urgently and the right manager to oversee the whole operation.
It might take a bit of time now to rebuild properly more so to tackle Europe in the right way, but still believe it won't take to much to restore normality back into Scotland with us back to cleaning up everything yet again

A great article and a really interesting read. Our policy shouldn't be to sell after 2 or 3 seasons. We should aim to reward success with a competitive new contract or contracts, retaining our best academy players and recruits for minimum 4 to 5 seasons. We need to stop acting like a feeder club. Sure, the reality may not permit that; we could have offered, say, £50k a week to Moussa after season one and more again at the end of season two to stay and he might still have gone but you suspect if we had, which would have helped retain Rodgers, we'd have sold him for £40m+ and made the Champions League (and saved the fees / salary squandered on lesser replacements) at least one more time, he was the real deal. Signalling that after two seasons everyone is up for sale is adding to the general sense of decline that is killing us as a football club. Yes, objectively we've made some good signings and a tidy profit, but subjectively I think we could have done much more with those players had we thought more like a football club, a big football club, than a business. How much of that profit went back out the door to Desmond, Lawwell et al over the same period?

A great article and a really interesting read. Our policy shouldn't be to sell after 2 or 3 seasons. We should aim to reward success with a competitive new contract or contracts, retaining our best academy players and recruits for minimum 4 to 5 seasons. We need to stop acting like a feeder club. Sure, the reality may not permit that; we could have offered, say, £50k a week to Moussa after season one and more again at the end of season two to stay and he might still have gone but you suspect if we had, which would have helped retain Rodgers, we'd have sold him for £40m+ and made the Champions League (and saved the fees / salary squandered on lesser replacements) at least one more time, he was the real deal. Signalling that after two seasons everyone is up for sale is adding to the general sense of decline that is killing us as a football club. Yes, objectively we've made some good signings and a tidy profit, but subjectively I think we could have done much more with those players had we thought more like a football club, a big football club, than a business. How much of that profit went back out the door to Desmond, Lawwell et al over the same period?
I absolutely get your thinking CT, and in a perfect world I would agree with most of what you say. I think it's also true to say we as supporters think of our club as being amongst the elite in terms of size of support. There is however, one major, and insurmountable obstacle. We play in Scotland !

If we could guarantee CL qualification every season, then fine; we could cut our financial cloth accordingly. But, of course, that's the stuff of make believe. I believe, like it or not, the club simply has to have a wage cap, simply has to live within its means. Another important factor in this is that almost ALL players coming to play for us see it as a stepping stone to what they consider a better future, both financially and in terms of the standard of league they wish to play in. When they feel it's time to move on they almost certainly will do so. The reality seems to be we give them a four year deal expecting them to improve and be sold on after three years.

As for BR, I can only speculate, like the rest of us, as to what the real story is. Let me say, I don't share any animosity towards the bloke. The only thing I can find fault with is his timing, for him to leave at such a crucial part of the season was a big letdown.

For me, the club certainly have to look at, and hopefully change, some of the things which have gone so wrong, including several levels of management. I don't believe we have a great deal of scope to meddle with the financial side of things. All the more reason to get things right.

Last edited:

Members online

Latest posts

Back