Celtic Rustiness, stop start carry-on and struggling to find right formation and a PSG v Bayern Preview

Aye but how many times has he fekd up playing on the left and commits himself sliding in with his right leg across a player? I like the guy but he needs to be played in a more natural position for him. One size does not fit all as they say.
Think that's what i've been trying to put across Stevie!, ah'll say it yet again, Ajer is Not a left sided centreback! 🍺 🥳

Both make great points and valid arguments, but the other one thing that's been missing is the one-touch pass and move. We have at least 5 players who can pass the ball at pace and quickly transition, but even they are falling prey to taking two, three and even 4 touches. It just slows everything down and allows opponents to retain or regain their shape.

The other feature of note is the distance between our boys when we're playing from the back. There were several times recently when our centre backs are taking the ball from Barkas on the 6-yard line and Broonie's on the D. That leaves 20-25 yards between the next two centre mids and that's just not great when you want to play triangles and move the opponents about.

There's also an issue with everything going into Eddy's feet and then him being instantly surrounded by two or three defenders. Eddy isn't half bad at running onto balls and that's where wee Jamesie (and likely Moi) is most effective too. Playing into feet is fine if there's a willing runner or second-man up top to play off against, but it doesn't leave a whole lot of options when you're isolated up there and having to create something yourself.

Spot on SP, that ability to pass and move seems to have deserted us of late.

Like you say we have quite a few players who can take a touch then move it on at pace but that one touch and pass has turned into 2 or 3 touches recently, I think this is where Niall has a point about Broony being slower on the turn. By the time he has turned and released the ball the opposition have already dropped back into their defensive positions, it blunts the speed of our attacks because there are fewer options for a quick pass to open them up so players are taking an extra one or two touches to pick out a pass.

On your 2nd point I think the problem lies with what some of our players do off the ball rather than on it. Too many standing static waiting for a pass to come to them instead of using their movement to give their teammate a better early option, another reason why we're not getting up the other end of the pitch quicker.

With regards to Eddy up top on his own and everything going into his feet, this is the single biggest reason why so many teams now sit in and park the bus against us. They know their best chance to keep us out is to nullify the threat of Eddy by crowding him out the game! He's not a target man type who gets his head on the end of things so everything goes into his feet and without that 2nd striker in there to split their focus they can zero in on Eddy en masse and as good as he is he cannae waltz his way past all of them all the time.

Some cracking points being made on this thread btw. (y)

Think we agree,that the formation we want in most games in the League,is 3-5-2
a bit more pragmatic in some games, 4-2-3-1,4-3-3 even,do we have the personnel,the round pegs, with the ability? to play these systems?, think it was Shadow who posed the question,do we fit players into a system, or use a system that suit's the players we have available? anyway, above ma paygrade, noo where's that beer! 🍺 🥳

The bit that worries me most is after every game I think we played rather mediocre with no midfielders playing in middle of the park. Lennon thinks we were brilliant

Brown ultra deep

Ntcham (one of our best passers) waiting too far forward for someone with his range to find him.

Bitton (probably our most accurate long range passer- albeit he likes his completion stats too much to attempt anything risky) now CB

Calmac for me is attacking midfielder with an inclination to drift too wide, possibly cause he running about too much, and although when he aint breathless he is high quality accuracy, he is so knackered most of the game despite still being the fittest guy in team that his accuracy is little off. personally id rather have him attacking centre mid with the support cm role.

And christie for all his goals is just a. greedy b and not really a team player, imo, great player but a tad excessively narcissistic, whenever he scores a goal we should zoom in on him with the cameras and put it on the big screen so he can stare at himself.

now because we have no real midfielders doing normal midfield work

the forwards have no real supply and because the midfield are often so far forward the forwards cannot breath and instinctively push right up into static positions

and at times in last game against United we had a 2 1 7 formation

with 2 cb a dm outside left inside left another inside left a Cf and inside right another inside right and an outside right.

and expectation of balls to feet over 40 yards from Bitton who will only attempt 40 yard passes in any direction if no opposition is near him or 40 yard hoof from right back position towards Taylor head at outside left position

and brown admiring the big hole in midfield.

lennon on bench mumbling profanities to no-one in particular

Most worrying Ive seen that formation too many times to think its coincedence

and after every game we play that style win lose of draw Lennon says he thought we played brilliant

And thats the worry

I am beginning to think he tells them to have that shape cause he thinks its brilliant entertainment

big worry

And the big cheese on his coupon when Ajeti scored as if it was a master plan.

Now I realise I aint no football manager

and my opinion means squat

But it just looks so weak to decent countering team

And so limp through no control of game and excessively knackered players running about like headless chickens for most of the game like weans football

I dont have problem with any of our players

I suspect they are doing exactly what they are told to do

coz lennon thinks its absolutely fantastic no matter what the scoreline ends up.

I genuinely think if Gerrard had our players playing his system he would stonk the league

big eddy would score 3 times as many goals imo with proper service and disciplined shaped midfield with an actual plan

if we had bought frimpong for 10 million I suspect he would be booed every match

he is very good young player but he aint a starter away from home imo

his pace off bench in game we need to throw caution might be worth gamble

how Rogic cannot get a kick of ball is beyond me, does he refuse to run about like a headless chicken?

for me christie is too immature to be first pick

ntcham should be in cm not am

if anything calmat should be number 10 or big eddy

and we should not be kicking ball high ever with no real aerial presence

but I see long high balls constantly and not that accurate either.

Its just no fitbaw imo

Right gonnae depart fae ma bold, revolutionary 12 player team selection and revert back tae the tired old starting eleven,with some variations in formation,be warned, drink has been taken!

1) 3-5-2
Goalie
Ajer Julienne Duffy?
Forrest Broony Calmac Christie,Elyounoussi
Eddy Adjeti

2) 4-2-3-1
Goalie
El Hamed Ajer Julienne Taylor
Broony Calmac
Forrest Christie El Younoussi
Eddy

3) 4-3-3
Goalie
Frimpong El Hamed Julienne Taylor
Ajer Calmac Christie
Forrest Eddy El Younoussi

remember these are just starting xi's,we can utilise 5 subs this season, Broony and Calmac (ah know ah've got him in every line up, but he can be subbed)to an extent need rested the spirit may be strong, but the body? ah'd love tae run a marathon,but it ai'nt feckin happenin!, probable main point is, play Ajer on the feckin right 🍺 🥳

Even more interesting and valid points made by oor TET there.

Just one more thing to add to the debate though and only that one thing that doesn't come down to technique, fitness or even tactical proficiency.

This season, of all seasons, is going to be as much about bottle and mental strength than it is about any of the physical and tactical attributes we have all previously discussed. I've no doubt that the management, coaching team, and the players themselves are all too conscious of the significance of this season and of what it means to every single one of us who are even remotely invested in the club. It is going to take some amount of mental endurance to see the job through.

As fans, we are most likely the ones who are going to feel it most, as there is very little we can do (especially during this lockdown phase) to influence matters on the field, but the players will also surely know the stakes and the 'high' nature of those stakes may inhibit their efforts somewhat. No one wants to be 'that guy' who sells the jerseys in any particular game and that caution has been evident in the two away games thus far.

There is also no doubt to be had in the fact that the officiating is not going to be helpful to us and let's not forget about the 'drip drip' effect of an ultra-negative media who are also pro-ultra cheerleaders for our major opponents. Whilst the players might not heed all of the negative headlines, they are also just young men who will inevitably have their heads turned by the latest transfer gossip or the next story about turmoil in the dressing room. There is no escaping that type of exposure, as there is no platform (including our own) which doesn't discuss these features.

Technical ability, big hearts and mental fortitude should see us prevail, but that triage is a pretty difficult to replicate on a frequently occurring basis and this is where Lenny has to manage his little cotton socks off. He has to recognise almost in advance when someone is not quite 'on it'. He has to manage the biggest and best squad in Scotland and keep all of the players eager and keen and to have them game ready when called upon. Ajeti cited post match that the difference between Lenny and his managers at West Ham was the matter of trust, well it would appear that Lenny does not have that same level of faith in the entirety of the squad?

It is not a criticism, just an observation; however - significant money was spent in January on two players who are more out of his plans than in them. Other lads who may have got a wee run out towards the latter part of last season (all things being equal) appear to have fallen in the pecking order and the young boys we brought in at the beginning of last season have either not yet acclimatised or have been deemed not good enough.

These are all minor variations that can chip away at the morale of a team. This is just one other area where a good manager can really earn his corn and maintain harmony and equilibrium amongst the entire squad. At some point during this season, Lenny is going to have to dig deep into that squad and pluck out some talent who are going to (figuratively speaking) bust a bollock or two for him, the team, and the fans. He has to keep them all invested in that idea and that will be no mean feat when considering the inflated (but often fragile) egos of the modern footballer.

My nerves are already frayed and I only pray that our Bould Bhoys in Barrel Hoops are more mentally endurable than I am..........right, pass me that candle, Shammy!

The formation and set up of the team should be that which gets the best out of our best players. Edouard is more effective playing with a partner up front. McGregor is more effective when he has licence to attack more or is the single deep lying playmaker. Ntcham at his best is a No.8 in a middle three. Julien and Ajer play better in a three at the back.
You can get all of that in a 352/3412. Frimpong is a natural wing back, Taylor isn’t and a left wing back should be priority in order to play this formation. A left sided CH is also required.
A 44(diamond)2 could be alternative formation, again this should get the best out of Eddy and CalMac.

I think the reason lenny puts him left side is purely down the the weakness of his left foot. Sounds mad but stick with me for a minute.
It's been mentioned above his tackle going across a player with his right commits and can be reckless. He doesn't like/can't tackle with his left. It's easier for him to push a player out wide and block a cross. If the player cuts inside or passes inside it opens up for him to be able to make a cleaner tackle with his right and his cb partner is brought into play as well.
Play him on the right of a cb and every striker in the division will be powering past his left side forcing a clumsy left foot tackle or diving right footed one.
He can mibi get away LCB with this as part of a 4 as the lb can cover.

Lenny hasn't missed this weakness, national coaches haven't as well.
He did a job at RB with the ball but I wouldn't like him to have to chase a pacey winger if he was caught high. With the knocks and strains cbs play with I don't think all the running would do him much good. Think he even picked up an injury playing that position?

Does he have the long pass or quick passing ability under pressure to play a DM? I don't think so.

Where does that leave us then? We need a cb that can tackle with both feet. If that part of his game improves then we have a starter. We needed 2cb before ...we will be lucky to get that even with SIM away.

Ajer is worth a bit of dough now and I want to keep him. New faces are essential to push him and for cover. I'm hoping El hamed can stay fit. Even with zero departures and injuries it's looking a bit threadbare of quality options.

Seems we have plenty of players that seem to be half way between two positions or forced to play out of position 🤔
I agree with plent of the stuff said above

We need a box to box cm.
Calmac has to run himself into the ground doing it. Ntcham is decent at nicking the ball away. Neither are tough tacklers. Calmac hands down is better as an AM over Ntcham.
Out wide El and forrest are poor defensively so a back 3 is exposed.
GT is a deeper LB when we need one that can attack as well. Frimpong does both ok but his pace is needed to get himself out of jail so falls in a different bracket.
Attacking mids. Rogic lacks pace but more importantly is never fit and can't press. RC can be greedy so unless he is on point it stands out he is being wasteful.
Cbs- Jules is getting up to speed, Ajer we have talked about and bitton I class as cover.
ST- eddie likes to drift wide, ajeti seems like a no9, kilmala a direct pacey counter attacker. Griff when fit is has a lot to offer.
Don't think any of them will bully a CB.

The shopping list remains unchanged.

2CB
Sorro to provide competition for brown.
LB
A battling wide player but
we might get away with frimpong and ElHhamed on the right

Back