Celtic v West Ham, Saturday 24th July, Celtic Park

I know the owners of the university cafe ( a chip shop) on Byers rd really well, they have deep fried Mars bar on the menu £1.50 each, l asked him about it, he said it was an urban myth that Scottish people love them, said he sells about 3 a day, to tourists, usually Chinese, the natives NEVER BUY THEM, but a deep fried pizza is delicious, particularly the pizza crunch, which is a half or a quarter pizza, dipped in batter then fried ❤️
I've eaten all sorts of shite but fuckin deep fried pizza sounds like suicide

I'm gonna make them
That is a misshapen sausage roll! Real Farfir bridies don't have flakey pastry but short-crust pastry.
Hey, easy there bridie
It says it's a fuckin bridie, whit dae ah know from bridies, ah've only ever eaten them efter a night on the bevvy, many decades ago
Plus Greenock isn't know for it's culinary delights
A cream cookie oot Auld's the bakers was my limit
Now, square slice, that's the proverbial canine's mint imperials
But, that was on another thread a while back, and almost caused Bake Wras 3 to break out ;-)
It's all making me very hungry, so I might need to put the pinnie oan and get the chip pan oot
:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

There is nae tatties in it - that's a bloody Cornish pasty. As the Deadner rightly says it is some minced up auld wifie & onions in shortcrust pastry (not that flakey shite).
used to be a wee bakers in kilncadzow/Harelaw just outside carluke used to supply the barn dances , they were famous for there desperate dan size pies n bridies ,massive bridies were about 18'' long and 3 quid a pop , same wi there cakes they'd be 6 times the size you would get in a normal bakers

made some crackin bridies

used to be a wee bakers in Harelaw just outside carluke used to supply the barn dances , they were famous for there desperate dan size pies n bridies ,massive bridies were about 18'' long and 3 quid a pop , same wi there cakes they'd be 6 times the size you would get in a normal bakers

A friend of mine now in his eighties is from Dundee and used to have his own bakers shop here
He also supplied all the events, highland games, scottish festivals, with Scots Pies and Bridies
They were brilliant
You took me back there when you mentioned the big steak pies
He lived 15 minutes from us and used to bake every day and after his shop shut he did it from the house
You could phone in an order and pick it up in a day or two
"A couple o' Desperate Dan's, a dozen pies and a couple of apple Charlottes"
Our kids loved them...first time they tried a Scots pie, that was all they wanted for a week...lol
As my granny would say "Grub that sticks tea yer ribs"

used to be a wee bakers in kilncadzow/Harelaw just outside carluke used to supply the barn dances , they were famous for there desperate dan size pies n bridies ,massive bridies were about 18'' long and 3 quid a pop , same wi there cakes they'd be 6 times the size you would get in a normal bakers

Sadly shut down about 3 years ago, I agree their stuff was gigantic, cakes the size of dinner plates, pies that would feed a family

Agreed D, that first one looks like you should just infuse it right into your veins and wait for the embolism to happen
I make mince n tatties and the first time I made it, our youngest said what's for dinner ?
I said mince n tatties
"Huh ?"
I explained what it was and he said "I'll pass"
OK
We're sat at the table and my wife bring out the dinner, smelt great
The wee man is sitting there with his Kraft Dinner Mac n Cheese
He asks if he can try some
Two plates he had and the KD went into the bin
A few times a year, especially in the cold weather I'll make it but make it like a meat pie/shepherds pie, kinda thing, usually 3 pies
Gone in one day

It’s probably not like any pizza you’d recognise, , imagine a freeze dry’d pizza with the toppings rollered into the surface so they don’t come off while cooking, you’ll not be far off, but it’s great👌
Deep fried pizza, were commonplace in the mid 70's.they soaked up the bevvy and usually were just cheese and tomato. It was like going for a kebab these days. 😊.

I used to travel about 12 miles, to get there, anytime I was in the queue was out the door, wee shame it closed, they used to supply all the tea rooms in the garden centres down the Clyde side
Used to drop into braehead out that way the last shift pub a crackin wee place they used to serve bar meals that would make the tables creak ,they made some crackin stovies

Great memory jog now that the thread has returned to normal ;-)
Does anybody remember Trees restaurant, near Glasgow Central station
Used to go their with my ma and granny when I was a wee boy, and have pie and chips
I remember thinking it was a fancy place because the ladies all had smock and hats on and there was doliies all over the place, tablecloths etc
One day my Ma was mortified because I cut the pie in half and put in between two slices of bread (what I did at home) all the old ladies having afternoon tea were laughing but I got a roasting when we got outside, lol

Agreed D, that first one looks like you should just infuse it right into your veins and wait for the embolism to happen
I make mince n tatties and the first time I made it, our youngest said what's for dinner ?
I said mince n tatties
"Huh ?"
I explained what it was and he said "I'll pass"
OK
We're sat at the table and my wife bring out the dinner, smelt great
The wee man is sitting there with his Kraft Dinner Mac n Cheese
He asks if he can try some
Two plates he had and the KD went into the bin
A few times a year, especially in the cold weather I'll make it but make it like a meat pie/shepherds pie, kinda thing, usually 3 pies
Gone in one day
That's a very common dinner here. Infact its my daughter's favourite.
I remember back packing around Australia years ago with my now wife. I told her before we went, I'm not livin on beans on toast or fuckin pot noodles. One night we were staying in a hostel beside Ayers rock. I went to the local shop and got a pound of minced a bag of spuds and a few other bits and pieces. Total cost was $6. I went back to the hostel and before long I had an audience asking what I was making. I had a pot of mince and a pot of spuds. They were all cooking noodles and shite. Two Canadian lads were eatin bread and jam. A big Danish lad told me the plate of dinner I had was more than what he ate in a week. When I told him that it only cost $6, they were all lookin the recipe. Myself and the Mrs ate til we nearly burst. Hard to beat the mince and spuds.

Members online

Latest posts

Back