Cover songs.

Nirvana covered a few songs by Scottish band The Vaselines as well. Son of a Gun, Lithium and a couple of other songs that I canna remember. If ye met the two o them in a pub and they told ye that they had four songs on one of the biggest selling albums ever (Nevermind) you wouldna believe them. Most people never even heard of The Vaselines.
There is a good video of The Vaselines on you tube doing Son of a Gun live for a radio station in Seattle.

Not sure Lithium was Richy but you could be right. Here are the others. enjoy. Just brilliant!

In 1987-1988 songwriters Eugene Kelly and Frances McKee from Glasgow, Scotland known as The Vaselines released 2 EP records with a combined total of 7 songs. Of those 7 songs mega-fan Kurt Cobain would cover 3 of them with Nirvana. Cobain labelled the duo his,
“favorite songwriters in the whole world”

I never knew that Lithium was a Vaselines cover! My 2nd favourite Nirvana song after About A Girl. My wife loves the Vaselines but she never told me about Lithium. I'm impressed!
Kurt Cobain wrote that one himself Bridie but the others are defo Vaselines songs. Lithium was about religion being an 'opiate for the masses', He was living with a friend at his parents house and they were born again Christians. Top top song and a top top band. In fact they both were!

Kurt Cobain wrote that one himself Bridie but the others are defo Vaselines songs. Lithium was about religion being an 'opiate for the masses', He was living with a friend at his parents house and they were born again Christians. Top top song and a top top band. In fact they both were!
I thought Kurt wrote that song but was going doolally in my auld age! I knew the Vaselines wrote the others - think they are touring again soon so really need to see if i can take the missus to see them - earn some broonie points! ?

I always thought it was a Vaselines song. I stand corrected.
HH

I thought Kurt wrote that song but was going doolally in my auld age! I knew the Vaselines wrote the others - think they are touring again soon so really need to see if i can take the missus to see them - earn some broonie points! ?
It would! I think they brought out their second album around 2010 about 15 years after the first and then another was due around 2015 but I never looked into it. Would surely be worth seeing live if you can though.(y)

The point is the same Richy. Like you said utterly incredible this wee Scottish band with only 7 songs over 2 EP's were adored and covered by the songwriter of the biggest band in the World. No wonder The Vaselines took their time recording. Those royalty cheques must have been huge!

The point is the same Richy. Like you said utterly incredible this wee Scottish band with only 7 songs over 2 EP's were adored and covered by the songwriter of the biggest band in the World. No wonder The Vaselines took their time recording. Those royalty cheques must have been huge!
Still on a Scottish connection with Nirvana theme, i saw Goodbye Mr MacKenzie a few weeks ago. They finally reformed (,without Shirley Manson who was otherwise engaged).

Big John (ex-Exploited guitarist) hobbled onto the stage on crutches (he has been very ill and probsbly should be dead after his lifestyle) and was still an amazing guitarist. He got a job as Kurt's guitar engineer on tour and actually played a couple of gigs on stage with them. What a lad!

Still on a Scottish connection with Nirvana theme, i saw Goodbye Mr MacKenzie a few weeks ago. They finally reformed (,without Shirley Manson who was otherwise engaged).

Big John (ex-Exploited guitarist) hobbled onto the stage on crutches (he has been very ill and probsbly should be dead after his lifestyle) and was still an amazing guitarist. He got a job as Kurt's guitar engineer on tour and actually played a couple of gigs on stage with them. What a lad!
Now that's a wee fact for the pub. I didn't know that at all!

Forgot about The Exploited, Wattie Buchan n Big John.
They got caught for signing on when a woman fae the brew saw them on TOTP.
The only single o theirs I ever owned was Army Life

Now that's a wee fact for the pub. I didn't know that at all!
Did big john not work in the record shop (80s)just up from the central station (not sure the name ) had a basement most punks gathered there on a sat morning
Forgot about The Exploited, Wattie Buchan n Big John.
They got caught for signing on when a woman fae the brew saw them on TOTP.
The only single o theirs I ever owned was Army Life
Saw them in Tiffanys in Glasgow , saw wattie a few times in edinburgh city walkin his alsation

I used to think the famous band Led zeppelin were a mostly original band, but I accidentally came across one of their famous tunes sung by a Negro blues singer, who is an inspiration to many bands into occult music. The famous artist from early 1900's up to the 30s apparently sought out old folk songs, so maybe his version isn't an original either.

Anyway here is the Leadbelly version of a song made famous by Led Zeppelin

see if you recognise it :p

The Leadbelly singer was a superstar apparently with a tendency to violence at a time when the black man had a really hard time for being talented. A lost treasure apparently that some of the biggest musicians ever have a real affinity and call their inspiration.

I guess one of my favourite covers would be led zeppelin version of this Leadbelly number

Back