David Potter

AuldChris

Moved to say how much I like David's writing. He encapsulates the history of our Club and the emotions involved in following them. His recent 'Dawn of the free' missive was particularly poignant for me. As an 8 year old I was dimly aware of 19 October 57. My Uncle and I (together with a stray dog) were the last remaining in our end when a former club duffed us up 3-0 in the Cup replay of '63. Thought then (foolish youth) I'd never see us win anything. 65 broke that pessimism!
Hail! Hail!
P.S. David, as a fellow cricket aficionado and one of Celtic's foremost historians, can you confirm that we played a charity cricket matc (late 60s/early 70s) in which Jim Brogan tool 6 wickets?

Moved to say how much I like David's writing. He encapsulates the history of our Club and the emotions involved in following them. His recent 'Dawn of the free' missive was particularly poignant for me. As an 8 year old I was dimly aware of 19 October 57. My Uncle and I (together with a stray dog) were the last remaining in our end when a former club duffed us up 3-0 in the Cup replay of '63. Thought then (foolish youth) I'd never see us win anything. 65 broke that pessimism!
Hail! Hail!
P.S. David, as a fellow cricket aficionado and one of Celtic's foremost historians, can you confirm that we played a charity cricket matc (late 60s/early 70s) in which Jim Brogan tool 6 wickets?
I enjoy David's articles, AC

I mentioned in the thread dedicated to Harry Hood, that the older lads are necessary to keep the legends and the history alive.

It's easy to bask in the milk and honey of treble trebles, but it's the heartbreak and pain that we have also had to endure, which should make these days so special.

I look forward to digesting more of his memories (as well as your own) and enjoying the pictures he paints of vintage Celtic.

Sorry that I can't help on the cricket, but I do have a cheeky fiver on New Zealand for the one-day World Cup

HH AuldChris

On the cricket front I tend to follow Mike Marcuse's Marxist analysis of cricket viz anybody but England. An attitude I apply to fitba! Agree totally with the sentiments you express. The joys we are experiencing currently are heightened by the pain we've known. On which (if you forgive an auld git raving) I detest folk leaving Paradise before the final whistle. 0-5 vs PSG you'd think there was a fire drill! Doubtless earlier these folk were belting out YNWA! Personal note:- 1970 LCF we lost 1-0 to a former club. BFDJ aged 16 scored the only goal. Narrowly avoided a doing from some of our fans who left early!

Coming to matches from Dundee meant we were a captive audience, Chris........unless you wanted to wait by a locked bus in the cold.

With the exception of the obvious opponents, I think we have a fine tradition of saluting and paying respect to superior teams who have bested us.

The ovations given to Andres Iniesta and Kaka were a proper acknowledgement of world-class players who we were blessed to have seen in the flesh.

I don't expect Neymar to ever have that type of ovation, but it makes me proud that Celtic fans can express their respect to our opponents.

Hail! Hail!

David's articles on The Celtic Star are outstanding. I will pass on your message to him today, however Tommy Gemmell and Jim Craig both talked to me about that cricket match, pretty sure that Jim was half decent at cricket but not so the rest of them and he reckoned that this was the only thing they didn't; win in 1967!

Hahaha I guessed that myself, but the Loons are quite sensitive about their defining characteristic being a heart attack wrapped in pastry.

I thought I would try the diplomatic approach, but it's bandit country up there, so you have to tread carefully.
Live up past Aberdeen now, but grew up in Forfar and still follow the Loons too. And if you are having a heart attack then make sure you have a real Forfsr bridie in your hand. ? Has to be short crust pastry instead of that flakey pastry nonsense!!!

Live up past Aberdeen now, but grew up in Forfar and still follow the Loons too. And if you are having a heart attack then make sure you have a real Forfsr bridie in your hand. ? Has to be short crust pastry instead of that flakey pastry nonsense!!!
Aw that goes without saying, BB.......the lichties can keep their flaky pastry for their flemings, but a real bridie has to be shortcrust.

Members online

Back