Dermot Desmond Q&A

Likewise Gary about Keane.
As much as I dislike keane as an individual, if given the job I would have to support him however hard as it would be.
Only believe it could work if a decent coaching team was bought in with him but also could mean the merry go around could continue.
If they were to be successful then when the man u job becomes available I could see them leaving us high and dry.
Would feel more comfortable getting a manager in that is really prepared to follow through the job he starts and not using the club just to help build there own profile and ready to jump ship when any other potential offer comes there way.
A big ask maybe, but one we have to believe is possible
You are right John in everything you have said the only bit you missed was ,loose cannon,,sure Keane could do a job for us,he could also destroy us,his ranting in the dressing rooms of Ipswich as manager and A.Villa and the republic as assistant manager are well documented, is this all the experience required to become the manager of one of Europes biggest clubs..

HH

You are right John in everything you have said the only bit you missed was ,loose cannon,,sure Keane could do a job for us,he could also destroy us,his ranting in the dressing rooms of Ipswich as manager and A.Villa and the republic as assistant manager are well documented, is this all the experience required to become the manager of one of Europes biggest clubs..

HH
So true GS, that old style of management where the ranting and raving used to get results out of players no longer works really.
Could Keane bring about a more modern style of management, I couldn't see it.

I think any manager we get is going to be a risk. As for Keane, he might work, but there is absolutely nothin to show that he is capable of managing Celtic. So it's too big of a risk. I know he wasn't in charge of the Ireland team and I know their resources were limited, but fuck me him and oneill made a complete bollox of it.
In saying that some a the fuckin Nancy boys we have need a rocket up their hole and he'd be good for that.
Could we hire him for a few weeks and get him to chew the bollox out of them constantly and then road him and hire Ralf rangnick???

So true GS, that old style of management where the ranting and raving used to get results out of players no longer works really.
Could Keane bring about a more modern style of management, I couldn't see it.
I watched the Brian Clough story one night mate and in the story he was asked what he thought about Roy Keane as a player to which he replied one of the best he has worked with,but Cloughie being Cloughie he had to add that wee bit extra where he told us how he got a call from Roy,s landlady who asked him to come to her house because she knew Roy was in his room but he would not answer her or open the door,so Cloughie jumped in his car and went round to the digs got Roy to open the door and said he got the biggest surprise of his life,,Roy had emulsioned the whole room jet black including the ceiling and back of the door and wardrobe,,when asked what he did he said, I got the lad help..we only need to see the state he got himself into in the Arsenal tunnel to see how well he copes under pressure..

HH

I watched the Brian Clough story one night mate and in the story he was asked what he thought about Roy Keane as a player to which he replied one of the best he has worked with,but Cloughie being Cloughie he had to add that wee bit extra where he told us how he got a call from Roy,s landlady who asked him to come to her house because she knew Roy was in his room but he would not answer her or open the door,so Cloughie jumped in his car and went round to the digs got Roy to open the door and said he got the biggest surprise of his life,,Roy had emulsioned the whole room jet black including the ceiling and back of the door and wardrobe,,when asked what he did he said, I got the lad help..we only need to see the state he got himself into in the Arsenal tunnel to see how well he copes under pressure..

HH
As much as I have no time for Roy Keane GS there are a few things where I don't think any other candidate's could match.
Sure he wouldn't let the intimation tactics of the scum bother him, only inspire him.
The level of expectation from his players and commitment will only be rivalled by our support.
Knows what is expected to win in Europe and more about the team than pampering individuals who think they are above the team.
Oh fuck I'm starting to sound like I'm in favour of the bastard

What we will get from Roy is 100% of whatever it is he wants from the team,anything less and they wont be there,but can the modern day player accept what Roy Keane will dish out if things dont go to plan,the Ipswich boys can answer that and Mick McCarthy no doubt has an opinion also..
Can we imagine how Eddy would take a bollocking from Keane,I am very confident it would end in tears and not Keane,s ..

HH

After listening to Martin O'Neil at the weekend go on about Roy Keane I've thought about it and I'm coming round to the idea of Roy being the new manager, I must admit I was against him as Celtic manager, but after watching the half arsed displays from Celtic this season, Roy just might be what we need, and with Nicky Butt as a buffer I'm even more interested in the idea.

Lets be honest most of this squad will be gone next season and if Roy gets his type of player in then I can see it working.

But please can we get someone in before the end of the season.
O’Neill would probably wax lyrical about Kennedy if asked. These guys never say anything shitty about each other.
Haven’t listened to the MON oratory but I personally don’t want Keane anywhere near the job.

Last edited:
Untitled.jpgWhat we will get from Roy is 100% of whatever it is he wants from the team,anything less and they wont be there,but can the modern day player accept what Roy Keane will dish out if things dont go to plan,the Ipswich boys can answer that and Mick McCarthy no doubt has an opinion also..
Can we imagine how Eddy would take a bollocking from Keane,I am very confident it would end in tears and not Keane,s ..

HH

I'm honestly beginning to think ignorance is bliss after all, we've had nothing but silence from the hierarchy these last few months but when they do eventually speak Desmond serves up that shite and you wish he/they had just stayed silent!

As infuriating as it is to hear it confirmed by Desmond it comes as no surprise to hear Lawell is involved in the hiring process of the new manager. Commented last week in reply to Gary67 that Lawell (via his son) was likely the one who floated the idea of appointing Harkin and Maresca (even though neither of them have ever held the roles they'd be appointed to). Ian Bankier will no doubt take up his usual role and just nod along to whatever Desmond and Lawell say.

My gut feeling is this......

Desmond will opt for Keane as the next manager.

Lawell will get his favoured DoF appointment (Harkin) signed off.

Lawell's preferred 'project' manager (Maresca) will be appointed Keane's No.2 (as a back up option if Keane goes nuclear)!

In other words we'll get a Poundland version of the Ralf Rangnick/Jesse Marsch approach with Keane as a figurehead!

I'm honestly beginning to think ignorance is bliss after all, we've had nothing but silence from the hierarchy these last few months but when they do eventually speak Desmond serves up that shite and you wish he/they had just stayed silent!

As infuriating as it is to hear it confirmed by Desmond it comes as no surprise to hear Lawell is involved in the hiring process of the new manager. Commented last week in reply to Gary67 that Lawell (via his son) was likely the one who floated the idea of appointing Harkin and Maresca (even though neither of them have ever held the roles they'd be appointed to). Ian Bankier will no doubt take up his usual role and just nod along to whatever Desmond and Lawell say.

My gut feeling is this......

Desmond will opt for Keane as the next manager.

Lawell will get his favoured DoF appointment (Harkin) signed off.

Lawell's preferred 'project' manager (Maresca) will be appointed Keane's No.2 (as a back up option if Keane goes nuclear)!

In other words we'll get a Poundland version of the Ralf Rangnick/Jesse Marsch approach with Keane as a figurehead!
Be a sad day for us shadow if we were to become just a play thing for Manchester

Be a sad day for us shadow if we were to become just a play thing for Manchester

It would mate but I honestly think the decision has already been made and that Keane, Harkin and possibly Maresca are already lined up, it's now just down to the timing of the announcements.

Also don't be surprised if Lawell ends up at Man City in some capacity.

Last edited:
They've a wealth of talent piled up would be daft not to have in roads to them although only Roberts and Pingpong have been any good to us

Question is mate will we be able to afford any of the higher standard of talent they'd be willing to let go or would we just end up with the dregs they want rid of. I'm all for building relationships with other clubs if it secures us genuine talent but the last thing we need is to be a dumping ground for Man City's rejects plus if the price of making those 'in roads' comes at the cost of appointing 2 guys who have zero track record/experience of the roles they would be appointed to then I would say it's a pretty steep price.

Last edited:
It would mate but I honestly think the decision has already been and that Keane, Harkin and possibly Maresca are already lined up, it's now just down to the timing of the announcements.

Also don't be surprised if Lawell ends up at Man City in some capacity.
I also think Shadow that it has been more or less sorted but I dont think Roy will be involved I think Harkin and Maresca have been in position for a while now maybe even since before Lenny left..
Desmond for me see,s this silence as a punishment for being bad Bhoys when the banners were put up,he is not the type of man who will take criticism well and why should he,the man is a self made billionaire who came in at the right time to take over at Celtic..I dont like the guy but I respect him.

HH.

Back