Do we need another goalkeeper?

Our goalies would be a lot more confident if they had a defence in front that didn't put the fear into them on a weekly basis.
Thats a good point if barkas came into a better atmosphere (meaning apart fae training or games hes sitting himself it's a good point how can u integrate during lockdowns?) And surely a steady defence then he wid have started a bit more sure of himself he must have sumthing about him hes Greek number 1 even so 5m was too much it's another mess among many messes 😡

We dont just need 1 wee need three ,our 3 goalies are hopeless although there is hopefor hazard as he is still young yet
No you are right we need 3.
Dreadful recruitment.
I know hazard is young but honestly a flexible cardboard cut out would be a safer pair of hands than the 3 pairs we've got just now.
Somebody needs their ass kicked
HH

100% Spot on BBB.

Weeks before Barkas even signed......when we were looking at both him and Robin Olsen from Roma as potential FF replacements......I watched Barkas' 'best of' Youtube highlights and it was clear to anyone with even a basic understanding of what's required from a keeper that this guy was gonnae be money doon the drain.

I remember commenting on here at the time that Barkas looked like he had so many flaws to his game, that we should steer clear and that Olsen was by far the better option.

How anyone at Celtic thought this guy was up to it and that he was worth £5m is a fucking mystery.
Maybe they never saw them Youtube clips or they would’ve known like you BBB.
They sure as fuck never watched him live.
😃😃

Tbh the goalie position has always been a problem at CP for as long as I can remember. Even Packie Bonner who was a great keeper no question about it, I can remember that every time he took a goal kick it went like a big toe poke banana shot and bent out of play for a shy to whoever. Weve had Boruc, Gordon and Forster , all top quality keepers but Boruc was mad mental which I loved him for at times and no-one can deny how good a keeper Gordon was before he had that bad injury from Defoe (Scottish footballs most expensive player at the time ) we took a chance on him and it paid off but he never fully recovered his confidence at coming for the ball and commanding his box after that. Forster is probably the best I've seen between the sticks for us ever but still as fantastic a shot stopper that he is he didnt want to come for the ball and command his box either, probably the reason why he's not sotons no1. Hazard is young but not that young compared to the rest of our current squad yet he was given a 7 year contract not so long ago so there must be something decent there, again a shot stopper. Doohan I cant comment upon as I've not seen enough of him, but we need both a keeper who is a shot stopper and who will command his box. At present, from what I've seen Bain is my preferred no1. Hes a shot stopper and at least tries to command his box and delegates to the defence, something neither Barkas nor Hazard does or tries to do. It's not rocket science to search for a keeper with both attributes. Perhaps Stevie Woods should be the man who finds such a keeper. I can think of no-one else at the club in a better position to judge. Apart from Peter Lawell mibbess? Mibbess naw

Last edited:
100% Spot on BBB.

Weeks before Barkas even signed......when we were looking at both him and Robin Olsen from Roma as potential FF replacements......I watched Barkas' 'best of' Youtube highlights and it was clear to anyone with even a basic understanding of what's required from a keeper that this guy was gonnae be money doon the drain.

I remember commenting on here at the time that Barkas looked like he had so many flaws to his game, that we should steer clear and that Olsen was by far the better option.

How anyone at Celtic thought this guy was up to it and that he was worth £5m is a fucking mystery.
I would say that that it's more than a mystery, it's a sacking offence. Maybe Lawell will take Hammond with him when he leaves???

The Barkas signing was based solely on his performances against Celtic for AEK Athens, 180 minutes of football . I could be wrong about that but I think I'm not and it's no way to go about signing players .

I can understand what Winter is saying about Bain but I think it is sad that we as the biggest club in Scottish football have to rely on any of the three first team goalkeepers we have on our books.
It has always been one of our weakest positions all the way back to my first Celtic Goalkeeper Frank Haffey to the present goalie Scott Bain..
These three goalkeepers take me back to a very bad time at Parkhead when we had Alan Rough playing for us,I thought at the time,things can only get better and they did until Jonathan Gould pulled on the goalkeepers jersey,thankfully we had betters times to come,Big Paki by no means world class but better than we had,then I thought all my birthdays had come at the one time,the Holy Goalie arrived,he had everything we were craving for, this was a goalkeeper who was afraid of nothing,when big Artur went for a ball in the air he did not care who was in front of him he was getting that ball,I am sure the Man Utd,Barcelona,Juventus,A.C.Milan etc boys will have fond memories of the big man,I would love to say the same about our goalkeepers of today but it would be a blatant lie if I were to compare any of our 3 goalies in the same class as Boruc..
What we have between the sticks today are no better than average goalkeepers,I was the same as Winter I put up a case for Scott Bain at the beginning of the season but when you look at the rest of the Scottish Premiership goalkeepers there are not too many he would keep on the bench if he was at their club,even if I was to say he would keep 50% of them on the bench it is still a very sad statement to make about a present day Celtic first team goalkeeper..Gordon,Boruc both great goalkeepers for us,Forster is right up there with Elvis,this is the class of goalkeeper we should see in a Celtic jersey every week..
Even if the next manager is Stevie Wonder the first thing he will notice,, our priorities are for a Goalkeeper,,R/B,,C/B,,L/B and maybe a midfielder who can put himself about a bit..
I hope he arrives sometime soon..

HH.

We don't need another keeper, we need another manager
100% Gary,then the new manager can get us a new keeper..

HH.

Last edited:
I can understand what Winter is saying about Bain but I think it is sad that we as the biggest club in Scottish football have to rely on any of the three first team goalkeepers we have on our books.
It has always been one of our weakest positions all the way back to my first Celtic Goalkeeper Frank Haffey to the present goalie Scott Bain..
These three goalkeepers take me back to a very bad time at Parkhead when we had Alan Rough playing for us,I thought at the time,things can only get better and they did until Jonathan Gould pulled on the goalkeepers jersey,thankfully we had betters times to come,Big Paki by no means world class but better than we had,then I thought all my birthdays had come at the one time,the Holy Goalie arrived,he had everything we were craving for, this was a goalkeeper who was afraid of nothing,when big Artur went for a ball in the air he did not care who was in front of him he was getting that ball,I am sure the Man Utd,Barcelona,Juventus,A.C.Milan etc boys will have fond memories of the big man,I would love to say the same about our goalkeepers of today but it would be a blatant lie if I were to compare any of our 3 goalies in the same class as Boruc..
What we have between the sticks today are no better than average goalkeepers,Winter put up a case for Scott Bain but when you look at the rest of the Scottish Premiership goalkeepers there are not too many he would keep on the bench if he was at their club,even if I was to say he would keep 50% of them on the bench it is still a very sad statement to make about a present day Celtic first goalkeeper..Gordon,Boruc both great goalkeepers for us,Forster is right up there with Elvis,this is the class of goalkeeper we should see in a Celtic jersey every week..
Even if the next manager is Stevie Wonder the first thing he will notice our priorities are for a Goalkeeper,,R/B,,C/B,,L/B and maybe a midfielder who can put himself about a bit..

100% Gary,then the new manager can get us a new keeper..

HH.
Aye I made a case for Bain GS but only as the best we have at present on the books , I did also say I cant comment on Doohan as I've not seen enough of him to pass any ☘

Latest posts

Back