European football

I agree spending cash on wages we can’t afford is madness,,so that’s it🤷‍♂️were as well no turning up for Europe,??,the point Lubo and shadow are trying to make is that we’re overblown with players of no use to us projects!??so why can’t we thin the herd down,and buy one or two real quality players with the freed up wages??what is it your not grasping?it wouldn’t bankrupt us by any stretch,,I think we have a situation we’re the tails wagging the dog with the finances,the football teams exploits are paying everyone’s wages including boardroom members and staff?? Apart from shirt sponsors a dont see what other revenue comes in….just a guess…
ive said that many times too.

we need to cut down the squad to give players better motivation at least imo.

I think we could have done with quality CM quality LB upgrade and a Quality left winger and maybe a player of level of CCV at cb

But wages imo is the stumbling block to getting these better players signed,
1 Very few upgrade players who are experienced and fit and good enough are available at Calmacs wage level

And if you push boat out then you probably need to give CCV kyogo et al a large wage rise too and really increase all the squad wages relatively which would be fair if your introducing new wage tier. but then in season or 2 that cash is burnt and you need to replace team with lower wage players.

madness not ambitious

for the record I dont like any of the board. So sacking them doesnt bother me in slightest or abusing them with trumped up charges.

But calling Celtic unambitious when they are winning more trophies in ten year period is just wrong when sky are destroying the game outside their cartel.

no abuse for sky

but lots of abuse of celtic and their players often more so than is acceptable to my mind.

only attack after attack after attack with no real solutions that will make a blind bit of difference against the sky cartel
This is where you're going wrong TET, you keep mentioning our domestic successes but that isn't what the op was about nor the ones that followed.
We are all talking about Celtic on the European stage and let's be honest here our reputation has never been so bad when it comes to that arena.

You cannot argue otherwise , to do so would be complete folly , all you need do is look at our results in Europes competitions , 1st club to exit 3 European tournaments in ONE season I shouldn't have to say anymore.

Domestically the board have delivered managers who've delivered trophies.
Can you honestly say that Celtics European record is good enough for a club of our stature?
You'd be the only one if you did.
Its been said on here and elsewhere umpteen times that the board could, because we are financially stable and sustainable enough, push the boat out a little more than we have to achieve progress.

Your responses especially in last 24 hours appear to be saying its not possible.
Is that what you think ? It's not possible?
It's very possible , and the 70 million in the bank?
Guess where that's going, not into the team in January that's a certainty.
If our board won't spend on quality in the big window then the winter window will be more of the same.

Remember we're talking about Europe not domestic trophies, we've won everything we can at that level breaking records after records after records and yet still no headway in Europe, I'm astounded that you're content with that, I really am.

This is where you're going wrong TET, you keep mentioning our domestic successes but that isn't what the op was about nor the ones that followed.
We are all talking about Celtic on the European stage and let's be honest here our reputation has never been so bad when it comes to that arena.

You cannot argue otherwise , to do so would be complete folly , all you need do is look at our results in Europes competitions , 1st club to exit 3 European tournaments in ONE season I shouldn't have to say anymore.

Can you honestly say that Celtics European record is good enough for a club of our stature?
Its been said on here and elsewhere umpteen times that the board could, because we are financially stable and sustainable enough, push the boat out a little more than we have to achieve progress.

Your responses especially in last 24 hours appear to be saying its not possible.
If our board won't spend on quality in the big window then the winter window will be more of the same.

Remember we're talking about Europe not domestic trophies, we've won everything we can at that level breaking records after records after records and yet still no headway in Europe, I'm astounded that you're content with that, I really am.
Im content that the policy employed is sustainable over folly.

I believe the team that wins league to earn CL spot should be given the chance to perform at CL but if value can be added while remaining sustainable then thats something that should be done. But overpaying new players who wont come unless you pay them wage we cant afford is folly. not ambitious.

Also attacking club as not ambitious is utter bollocks imo. especially if they are treble winning champions.

you can ask players to sign offer them contract and if they refuse then you move on to next offer. Especially if your team is full of champions who earned right to play in CL but dont get wage new dude wants.

Not hard to grasp.

if someone attacks my clubs players as being not good enough ill defend them.

would you say thanks for getting to CL but hey your pish mate heres your replacement. Sit back and watch what you earned go to some dude who may not actually be better player in our team?

CL is a closed shop imo

I dont give a shit about it, id rather support the team who got us there and hope they can do better than past teams. just like happened in 1967 with team who earned shot at CL on wages club and player agreed. And despite having rather mediocre form prior decade for celtic went on to win the big cup in great style under a new manager who gelled a bunch of decent players into one the greatest teams in history. Not by signing mercenaries after team won league but by fielding the team that won the league year before. The mighty Glasgow Celtic.

its quite a simple concept. if a player wants to join us on similar wages to current club champions and club thinks he adds value to squad. get him signed and if he trains well and earns match day then great.

And thats exactly what club does.

But they are attacked by real fans who want ambition????

winning trebles isnt good enough????

Last edited:

My responses are its not possible to sustain ramping up wages to unsustainable levels and trying to compete with cartel club wages.

And if you dont offer cartel club wages its unlikely your going to be able to sign experienced CL first team ready players. And without CL first team ready players id rather take chance on guys who earned the shot at CL and are treble holders to boot.

I dont give a feck about money

none.

give the whole lot to charity for all i care, in fact id rather it went to charity than some mercenary, but keep club sustainable with income and keep signing players who are good enough and want to play at our wage levels (best wage levels in Scotland btw) and who will be able to earn a shot at CL

Last edited:
Fucking hell man. Read people posts before entering the world of typing loads a shite about nothing. We aren't talking about putting the club out of business. We are talking about thinning the squad and bringing in a few higher earning quality players to compliment what we have. A LB and strong CM perhaps. Possibly an experienced striker. We have already given the "back bone" of our squad improved contracts.
If Mickey Johnstone or Turnbull come banging on the door demanding to he put onto £50,000 a week because we've signed a £55,000 a week experienced CM from Belgium....they can get told to fuck off. Players earn what they are worth...not what the guy next to them is worth.
Celtic seem to be the only team, in the Champions League, that capped their wages 20 years ago.
Yes, it looks fantastic on the spreadsheets but it hasn't helped, IN EUROPE, on the pitch.
We aren't demanding a European trophy. We are asking for a bit of progress. That's it.

Im content that the policy employed is sustainable over folly.

I believe the team that wins league to earn CL spot should be given the chance to perform at CL but if value can be added while remaining sustainable then thats something that should be done. But overpaying new players who wont come unless you pay them wage we cant afford is folly. not ambitious.

Also attacking club as not ambitious is utter bollocks imo. especially if they are treble winning champions.

you can ask players to sign offer them contract and if they refuse then you move on to next offer. Especially if your team is full of champions who earned right to play in CL but dont get wage new dude wants.

Not hard to grasp.

if someone attacks my clubs players as being not good enough ill defend them.

would you say thanks for getting to CL but hey your pish mate heres your replacement. Sit back and watch what you earned go to some dude who may not actually be better player in our team?

CL is a closed shop imo

I dont give a shit about it, id rather support the team who got us there and hope they can do better than past teams. just like happened in 1967 with team who earned shot at CL on wages club and player agreed. And despite having rather mediocre form prior decade for celtic went on to win the big cup in great style under a new manager who gelled a bunch of decent players into one the greatest teams in history. Not by signing mercenaries after team won league but by fielding the team that won the league year before. The mighty Glasgow Celtic.

its quite a simple concept. if a player wants to join us on similar wages to current club champions and club thinks he adds value to squad. get him signed and if he trains well and earns match day then great.

And thats exactly what club does.

But they are attacked by real fans who want ambition????

winning trebles isnt good enough????
Teams evolve, players come and go and the team competing in Europe most certainly is NOT the team that won entry to the champions league, surely you realise this?
Also you say it's not possible to compete with the richer clubs when no-one, not one has suggested we try that so Idk why you keep repeating it.
You talk about mercenaries, is that not just about every player on the celtic books right now, or pretty much all spfl clubs books ? Take calmac, forrest , ralston out and who are we left with that hasn't come to Celtic for the shop window we are , again that makes no sense.

Under your way of thinking there would never have been signings like Edouard, CCV, Jota as those players cost more than our normal penny pinching €2.5 million signings.
I know you're not but you're coming across as a board apologist just for the sake of winning an argument which you're never going to win not on this site not on any Celtic site.
Net present value etc is boardroom talk not supporter talk .

I was recently at the Dundee game and saw zero net present value from our new guys , perhaps Lagerbielke will come good eventually but Holm and others have shown nothing and these are the guys you reckon are deserving of a chance at CL level?
They aren't good enough not yet.
Hence why Scales is in the team.
How long should we give them ?
A season ? 1½?
They still won't be good enough.
Where was the net value when starfelt left?

And if signing, sat 3, experienced players on higher wages is likely to put us out of business, then maybe the board aren't as good as we thought they were, at running a company.
Chris Sutton said once that players in the dressing room had no problem with Larsson getting paid more than the rest as it was him who was always a level above our very decent players of the time

Fucking hell man. Read people posts before entering the world of typing loads a shite about nothing. We aren't talking about putting the club out of business. We are talking about thinning the squad and bringing in a few higher earning quality players to compliment what we have. A LB and strong CM perhaps. Possibly an experienced striker. We have already given the "back bone" of our squad improved contracts.
If Mickey Johnstone or Turnbull come banging on the door demanding to he put onto £50,000 a week because we've signed a £55,000 a week experienced CM from Belgium....they can get told to fuck off. Players earn what they are worth...not what the guy next to them is worth.
Celtic seem to be the only team, in the Champions League, that capped their wages 20 years ago.
Yes, it looks fantastic on the spreadsheets but it hasn't helped, IN EUROPE, on the pitch.
We aren't demanding a European trophy. We are asking for a bit of progress. That's it.
I'm sorry but could you repeat that because net present value ............
We were all debating this at ht v Dundee
" wheres the net present value?"
" where is it?

I must admit its funny reading this thread from my point of view, I binned Trump ages ago so fortunately I miss all his garbage, and just reading the replies he gets makes me laugh 😂 😂 😂..

Think it was Matt Busby 😂 who said "never wrestle with a pig as you'll only get mucky with him and then he's in his comfort zone"..

I must admit its funny reading this thread from my point of view, I binned Trump ages ago so fortunately I miss all his garbage, and just reading the replies he gets makes me laugh 😂 😂 😂..

Think it was Matt Busby 😂 who said "never wrestle with a pig as you'll only get mucky with him and then he's in his comfort zone"..
I remember Spherical Planet commenting about wrestling with pigs, but I think he might have been speaking about trapping talent in the Bush Bar in the Seagate rather than a Matt Busby quote... 🐷

I’m the same mate, I blocked him ages ago too, all I’m seeing is people in a one sided argument/debate going round and round in circles, somebody said never argue with an idiot, they’ll bring you down to their level, remember he’s a man trapped in his house, hooking people is his only source of happiness/enjoyment/entertainment 🤷‍♂️

I remember Spherical Planet commenting about wrestling with pigs, but I think he might have been speaking about trapping talent in the Bush Bar in the Seagate rather than a Matt Busby quote... 🐷
I re watched Martin Compston in TRACES the other night, filmed in Dundee, we get most of the UK dramas and we watched it a couple of years ago, and as I have never visited that fair city, the scenery was lovely, the view from the hill overlooking the city and the river beyond was beautiful, I think I'll visit Dundee next time I'm home, although it'll be a coffee shop, rather than a local hostelry and you're buying Bride Bhoy ;-) HH

Back