European football

I think we could surprise a few here as well, perhaps not atleti but Lazio are sitting 15th or something with 3 pts from 4 , lost to juventus, lecce and genoa but beat napoli , Feyenoord missing some key players might level things a little in terms of who's available but any side that underestimates Celtic will regret it.
These Feyenoord games and the history involved I could see high scoring games and that's something we're definitely good at. We might be underrated financially but the players , coaches managers and informed supporters will know not to write us off for quality talent and ability.

If Hatate shows no adverse reaction to Saturdays' run out, then the team for Tuesday picks itself. Let's hope BR thinks the same.
Hope he is fit, but who's your 2 Cb's?? Yang or Palma on the wing??? Do we go with a CDM?? Or 2 of them, going 433 will get us murdered imho, I hope he who shall not be named has a plan B something along the lines of a 4231 especially away in Europe... But I doubt it... Anyhoo.... Mon the hoops.

Hope he is fit, but who's your 2 Cb's?? Yang or Palma on the wing??? Do we go with a CDM?? Or 2 of them, going 433 will get us murdered imho, I hope he who shall not be named has a plan B something along the lines of a 4231 especially away in Europe... But I doubt it... Anyhoo.... Mon the hoops.

The team that started Sat should start Tues, with the one change of Reo in for Turnbull.
Phillips and Scales will be fine as CBs. Calmac can't be dropped and MOR shouldn't be.
Early days for Palma, but don't think he deserves to start ahead of Yang at present.

The fact Gus and Phillips got 45 each on Sat, had me thinking we might go 3-5-2 but I don't think we'll go into a CL away game with a formation we haven't tried before.

With the players we have available, I'd be going 3-5-2 just now in Europe. Phillips is slow, Scales is better suited to a back 3. We can flood the midfield with extra players, but also have Johnston & Taylor (playing in his preferred inverted full back role) drop back to a back 5 when we are under severe pressure. It will be different once CCV returns and then I'd go either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. I know Brendan won't do this as he has his philosophy. My preferred starting line up:

Hart
Lagerbielke Phillips Scales
Johnston O'Riley Mcgregor Hatate Taylor
Kyogo Maeda
Yang, Oh & Palma would be my planned subs, with any other changes (Bernardo?) as needed.

With the players we have available, I'd be going 3-5-2 just now in Europe. Phillips is slow, Scales is better suited to a back 3. We can flood the midfield with extra players, but also have Johnston & Taylor (playing in his preferred inverted full back role) drop back to a back 5 when we are under severe pressure. It will be different once CCV returns and then I'd go either 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3. I know Brendan won't do this as he has his philosophy. My preferred starting line up:

Hart
Kyogo Maeda
Yang, Oh & Palma would be my planned subs, with any other changes (Bernardo?) as needed.
Yip, a pretty good shout BB. Don't imagine you'll be too far away with your assessment . As I've already said, we'll get one ot two questions answered for sure.

Hart
Kyogo Maeda
You puttin yer name forward fur the next managers job if Brendan gets the dicht :ROFLMAO:

Although Philips started against Dundee and played for the first 45, it makes me wonder is that's enough for Rodgers to start him in this game?
Lagerbeilke has game time minutes under his belt and before he arrived so just for that reason with my amateur managers hat on I'm thinking Lagerbeilke gets the nod.
My selections have been quite a bit off going back to Ange though I wasn't alone there he kept us all guessing.

I really hope that Reo starts this game as loathe as I am to slate any Celtic players Turnbull just doesn't bring what Reo does to the game.
In Scotland Turnbull is an asset to the squad but that's in Scotland.
The fact he's fit and still isn't called up for Scotland as a squad member says something as well, though granted Scotland have a high quality midfield right now so have Celtic.

Perhaps I'm overly critical of Turnbull but he frustrates me and seeing him in the flesh v Dundee only galvanised my opinion. Give him a chance to shoot he'll put it away, great finisher from distance but so is Reo. It's his workrate that concerns me and the performances he put in that game just wasn't of the same standard as Reo when he came on. Sure he buried the penalty expertly but we expect that anyway, no passengers for this game it's going to be all hands on deck and Reo just has that special something that sets him apart.
I'd love nothing more than Turnbull to hush me up.

Watching wee Kyogo on Saturday ( tanget alert) from a good seat above the green brigade and I have to say I was blown away by his little flicks and touches , techniques superb his control of the ball, there's so much more to his game than scoring goals if he's on or off the ball, also the size of the wee mhan is unreal compared with the big burly defenders he's facing.
Can't see Celtic go 2 up front

Hart
Kyogo Maeda
Although Philips started against Dundee and played for the first 45, it makes me wonder is that's enough for Rodgers to start him in a game of this significance?
Lagerbeilke has game time minutes under his belt and before he arrived so just for that reason with my amateur managers hat on I'm thinking Lagerbeilke gets the nod.
My selections have been quite a bit off going back to Ange though I wasn't alone there he kept us all guessing.

I really hope that Reo starts this game as loathe as I am to slate any Celtic players Turnbull just doesn't bring what Reo does to the game.
Passes that take 3-4 opposition out of the game , off the ball dummy runs etc.
Perhaps he's struggling to adapt to the different managers & systems but he just doesn't appear to be the same hungry player he was imo.

In Scotland Turnbull is an asset to the squad but that's in Scotland.
The fact he's fit and still isn't called up for Scotland as a squad member says something as well, though granted Scotland have a high quality midfield right now so have Celtic, maybe I'm reading too much into that.

Perhaps I'm overly critical of Turnbull but he frustrates me and seeing him in the flesh v Dundee only galvanised my opinion. I realise we are not playing " we never stop" Ange style anymore but he needs to be more mobile and cover more ground.
Give him a chance to shoot he'll put it away, great finisher from distance but so is Reo. It's his workrate that concerns me and the performances he put in that game just wasn't of the same standard as Reo when he came on. Sure he buried the penalty expertly but we expect that anyway, no passengers for this game it's going to be all hands on deck and Reo just has that special something that sets him apart.

Watching wee Kyogo on Saturday ( tanget alert) from a good seat right above the green brigade and I have to say I was blown away by his little flicks and touches , techniques' superb his control of the ball, there's so much more to his game than scoring goals on or off the ball, also the size of the wee mhan is unreal compared with the big burly defenders he's facing its very noticeable in the flesh.

Can't see Celtic go 2 up front away in Europe, i think be, 4-3-2-1
back 4; Taylor Johnston Scales Lagerbeilke
MF; McGregor, Oriley, Hatate,
Maeda and Yang
Kyogo

Well this is the side I think but there's a reason my Celtic managerial career is limited to FIFA 18 ( need to start dropping wee hints my games an old one , crimbo coming up n that 🤔)
Subs used, Ralston, Phillips, Bernardo, Palma and Oh though because of his experience I wouldn't rule out seeing Forrest if he's showing in training what we all know he's got then he is a big game player who's scored big goals in Europe for us before.

Rodgers will likely have a surprise in store for the team.
Haven't seen enough from our new bhoys for me to say Holm or Bernardo, Palma should start ahead of the others hopefully they're all tearing it up at Lennoxtown and Rodgers will unleash them on an unsuspecting over confident Feyenoord and Dutch media ( we aren't sevco btw if any one from the neverlands is looking in, we're the champions).
What I see though is that we're not far away from returning to full strength, that's encouraging from even right up to ibrokes game.
3/1 the draw and 4/1 the win for Celtic tells me the bookies don't really know about this Celtic side either, 8/15 Feyenoord to win is no surprise given their form but it should be remembered they're not ' top of the table' and their recent high scoring wins were against their equivalent of our Ross County's and Dundee's.
The Dutch arrogance can hopefully be their undoing, they underestimated sevco last year but not this year.
Sevco could've beaten them in Glasgow.
Actually have a lot more thoughts on all this but I've got to go to the shop yeez are aff the hook just half a tome the noo 😚 HH MON THE HOOPS 🍀

Last edited:
Not the group of death we normally get but still a hard group to progress from. Last season and before it is the failure to take our chances that seen us out of the competitions, the team at the moment isn't playing well enough to give us a great deal of confidence that we can reach the knockout stages just need some luck to fall our way for a change.

Buzzing for tommorow now and weirdly think we can get a victory...... feyenoord may not be rich as psg or man city or have the European trophies of a real Madrid but make no mistake they are a huge club and fans are just as dedicated to feyenoord like we are too Celtic..... atmosphere will be immense
Rotterdam is very similar to Glasgow too in many ways should be a good away trip for the fans who travel 🍀

Can't see Celtic go 2 up front away in Europe, i think be, 4-3-2-1
back 4; Taylor Johnston Scales Lagerbeilke
MF; McGregor, Oriley, Hatate,
Maeda and Yang
Kyogo
Yip - the 4-3-3 is essentially the 4-3-2-1 you've gone for. I think Kyogo will always be the spearhead of our attack. I suggested 2 up front for quick long balls for Maeda & Kyogo to run onto. But let's be honest, Daizen is going to be running about over all of the pitch.

Not the group of death we normally get but still a hard group to progress from. Last season and before it is the failure to take our chances that seen us out of the competitions, the team at the moment isn't playing well enough to give us a great deal of confidence that we can reach the knockout stages just need some luck to fall our way for a change.
True but its still a tough group Lazio better than the side we beat but haven't started league well, Atletico be favourites for the group with the quality they have and Feyenoord Dutch champions.
We need to believe we belong here at the top level, and we do.
I was concerned before ibrokes game but the bhoys delivered and tbh its really our defence that's causing concern the rest of the team fit on form picks itself.
Really really want something from this game just because of how much we're being written off by the arrogant Dutch, they're obviously seeing us as the same level as therangers and they are mistaken, even a point will be very sweet against these cnuts HH

Yip - the 4-3-3 is essentially the 4-3-2-1 you've gone for. I think Kyogo will always be the spearhead of our attack. I suggested 2 up front for quick long balls for Maeda & Kyogo to run onto. But let's be honest, Daizen is going to be running about over all of the pitch.
Once I'd rambled it out then read it back I realised we'd picked practically the same personnel just little tweaks of a difference.
Think most of us would pick these bhoys also but what's Rodgers thinking?

True but its still a tough group Lazio better than the side we beat but haven't started league well, Atletico be favourites for the group with the quality they have and Feyenoord Dutch champions.
I was concerned before ibrokes game but the bhoys delivered and tbh its really our defence that's causing concern the rest of the team fit on form picks itself.
Really really want something from this game just because of how much we're being written off by the arrogant Dutch, they're obviously seeing us as the same level as therangers and they are mistaken, even a point will be very sweet against these cnuts HH
If I'm being honest, Winter, I'd bite your hand off for a point.

Just read that Nate was taken off against Dundee, after going over on his ankle, but he was able to train yesterday, so hopefully it's nothing major, I have a Scouser mate who told me that big Nate was outstanding in the games he played for Liverpool, Reo and Palma starting tomorrow apparently, good news for our midfield HH

When you look at the group getting 3rd place would be a bonus but need to get something from the home games to achieve this

Back